Proper etiquette between 2 guitarists?

stratos

Inspired
Any suggestions is desired here.
Been playing covers for 30+ years, seldom with 2 guitarist, due to pay scale.
I had an audition this weekend, southern fried stuff.
The other guy didn't know the material, tempo was poor, guitar out of tune and jumped on every intro and solo line.
Trying with another guy next weekend, that is supposed to be really good.

I don't want to be dick, so I just let him roll. Leader cut the audition off early cus the other player wasn't cutting it.
How would you handle it with 2 new guys, not knowing what the other knows?

I'm really looking for responses from dual guitar bands that have been down this road.

Thanks in advance guys, love the forums!
BTW, first player I have seen with a modeler (Helix / FR combo amp)

Talk. If you’re both interested in leads, talk about it. Trade solos or songs. Figure out who plays parts better than the other and arrange accordingly.

But first and foremost: talk.

Talking constructively is at the heart of having a great band. It helps if everyone is offering constructive, critical feedback and seeking it out as well.

Personally, it's all about working together. Tone wise, rhythm, lead, intro, whatever...If you can't work together, it's going to be BAD.
However, if you are willing to discuss things with the other player, then your fine. It's about the BAND, not individuals.

It can be really fun, yet of course it can also be a disaster.
Biggest issue I've had is constructive criticism. Some can take it and some can't.
Trade ideas, help each other, BE A PRO, don't be a dick.
Best of luck

I cant comment on successful, only disappointing encounters. I played in a 2 guitar band for a bit, but it was a constant volume war, nothing could get louder than this guy. I liked the gig, but it got so bad, this is when i started the road with IEMs. I got a mixer and custom buds, and just blocked him out. Didn't last long. Have done it once again in an acoustic duo with a singer, and it didnt work either.. maybe it's me? lol.

Can be interesting.
I let anyone else do anything they can. I'll give them first crack at everything they want to do. If it sounds bad , or they just can't do it , I'll play whatever lead it is.

I'm happy playing whatever makes the band sound the best.
If playing together isn't enjoyable , forget about it.

I've played with a number of players of all skill levels in a multiple guitar band and have found that what you did is the best approach. No sense trying to play what you're "supposed" to play when someone else, especially in an audition. If it's halfway professional, whomever is conducting the audition will know who's playing what they should. In my opinion, having the ability to adjust and play something other than your part would speak volumes to the level of professionalism and music over ego you have.

"I let anyone else do anything they can. I'll give them first crack at everything they want to do. If it sounds bad , or they just can't do it , I'll play whatever lead it is. "
That is exactly what happened.
Being an audition, I had to at least show that I could cover the tune. Really hard though, felt like a dick... I had to come above him, and play the line(s) on top of him....arghh!
Yep Don, been my experience too bro. Haven't had a good one yet. (3 times)
Thx. M@
Good suggestion Ian.
Keeping in mind, it's going to be an audition, so talk time will be very limited. Maybe I should ask the band leader to cover this before we turn our gear on?
I have a very good relationship with the leader, he want's me to commit, but still want's 2 "mules" on axes.
Old Skynyrd tribute band singer.

Oh. If it’s an audition that’s maybe different. Though I always ask ahead of times what parts they’d want to hear me play if I’m auditioning. And I tell people coming in to audition with us what parts they need to know.

If they don’t know those parts it’s an early exit and a handshake.

Yes sir, that one was on the person setting the audition. He should either tell you in advance what he wants, or play each song twice and swap parts. Otherwise it's a train wreck.

I've been in lots of bands with two guitarists, and for the last 10 years have been playing in one with two guitars and keys. It's about serving the song, knowing what to play, and (maybe more importantly) when not to play. I haven't had any gigs that paid by the note, so I work towards staying out of other people's space, leaving space that doesn't have to be filled, and doing whatever fits. There are songs where I don't play anything through whole sections. As @iaresee said, it's about communication and letting your ego take a back seat to the music. We all get to play a lot every night, so spotlight time is plentiful.

In an audition, you just have to do the best you can to fit the moment. No one was going to shine in an audition run like the one you were in. That's on the host.

I am in a 2 guitar ‘60s to Now’ rock cover band. 5 piece with bass drums vocalist and the two of us. We’ve been together since 2012 but the relationship as friends was there between me and lead guitarist since 2004 ish. And it is still tough at times to figure songs parts or even song selections but we always work it out. It’s about the song and arrangements in the end. It’s tough when battling different PA setups and you can’t hear yourself properly. But you have to talk ahead and work the parts out. Also seek out third party advice on band sound. I do rhythm and some riffs or ‘piano’ parts and he mainly does lead as I don’t do any lead longer than 10 seconds at a time ;-) Sometimes the rhythm part ends up being really key and it is the lead so I am happy. In the end I think the two guitar players need a good relationship. Good pro gear like fractal really helps in putting the equipment issues as secondary.

As others said above, the audition session should be managed by the ones putting it on - unless they are trying to audition you for a guitar cage-match!

The best advice I've gotten was to use dynamics and listen. If you have a good stage mix (maybe a big "if"), you should be able to hear everyone else. If not, lower the dynamics. Show that you can listen and play *with* the band and not over the band.

Unless....cage-match....then....F I G H T !!!

Its hard with new players. Everyone has their different strengths - both players have to acknowledge what their strengths and weaknesses are. And if you have a guy that says" well I have no weaknesses - I'm better at everything.." then run !
Everyone needs to put their egos aside and do whats best to make the band sound at tight as possible. If that means stepping back and sitting in the pocket, then do it. Trade ideas and be honest with each other about skill level etc.
best of luck !

I have been in a dual guitar band for about 10 years now. The last two years have been the easiest from a tone, level standpoint. Switching to AX8's was huge in getting stage volume under control and consistent tone out FOH. All the points mentioned earlier in the thread I agree with and big +1 to communication. We cover everything from the 70's through today and communication is vital in getting the arrangements tight. We don't overplay and let the song be the center of attention. Everything else falls into place when learning new material. When rehearsing new material we all come prepared and it is just a matter of working out the details.

Sorry , I didn't know you meant you were auditioning at the same time another guy was.
I thought you meant getting along with another newly auditioned guitar player.
Good advice above. Talk , figure out what they want from you , and do it - if you can. No guesses , no problems. Good luck.

This is gonna sound really controlling but if the other player is good enough to play the parts and, most importantly, you can get along with them in the weird band dynamic, I’ve had success in declaring “I can work with this guy” and then doing just that; rehearsing parts together, helping dial in tones, teaching how to get in the pocket, play under the solo, rehearse with a click, filling in their part of the mix, listen to playback together, etc., I’ve even gone as far as midi switching the other guitarists rig thru my rig (he was too busy singing backup).

For me, unless the other player is an absolute monster or multi instrumentalist that’s bringing something new, it’s more about who’s the better fit to keep the project going. No bigger waste of time than a band that can’t get along.

IMO, the band doing the auditioning should have this worked out in advance, and they should let each person being auditioned know exactly what they are expected to play. To have two guitarists come over to play on top of one another is the most asinine thing I've ever heard of as far as auditions go. It sounds to me like these guys are wasting everyone's time. If they want to know who can play particular parts best, they should audition people separately and record the auditions. Based on the limited amount of information, I'd say this band is run by rank amateurs or f'ing idiots. Sorry, but the situation you describe is ludicrous.

Once you find yourself established in a two-guitar band, then talk with the other guitarist about each and every part specifically. IMO, if one is clearly better than the other at certain techniques, he/she should play those parts. If both are comparable, compromise and share. Yes, it is easier said than done, as many guitarists think they are better than the other guy, and better than they themselves actually are. But in an audition???? This should never even be an issue, ever.

You asked us how we would handle it. Personally, I'd walk and keep searching for a band that knew what the hell they were doing. I have a hard time visualizing a clusterfuck like that turning into a success.

Last edited:
Yeah, i kinda agree with steadystate above, really something the band should've worked out.

However, running an audition is a skill in itself, like running job interviews and all that stuff.

Of course bands aren't often made up from a team of experienced HR people (thank f*ck...) so "untidy" auditions don't necessarily reflect on the rest of the bands abilities i don't reckon.

Thanks for the replies guy's.
Food for thought, great insights!
Been here for many years, (Gen.1, AX2, AX8). So I expected really good responses to my post.
Again, thank you very much for your time!

experienced HR people (thank f*ck...) so "untidy" auditions

Boy I can relate to that, my first wife was the epitome of human resources, she didn't trust anyone.

As far as playing in a two guitar band: The 1st one I was in was great, but that was only because the other guitarist was the lead singer and didn't play any lead. Right b4 that, I played briefly with a friend in an original project and we got along fine, we had been friends a long time and are both amiable people. When I joined my last band, we all started at the same time together, and the other guitarist was my best friend, well to be brief, we aren't friends anymore... YMMV

Edit: I should add that this happened a few months after the band had broken up. He simply never returned any of my calls, and eventually I stopped calling. That was during the last 1/4 of 2011. I have no idea what he's doing now but I'm pretty sure it's not Axe related, cuz I certainly haven't seen him here. (We both had Ultras).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom