Progressive Solo Lessons

don_joe

Experienced
Hi guys!

After seeing a lot of videos posted in the forum "Recordings" I was surprised how many people here have excellent playing skills, which you could and themselves describe as "progressive". I have noticed that many of them have some sort of similarities in techniques and approach they use. There is certainly some system in their learning process. I hear some alternate picking, than legato (almost everyone learns at least those), than arpeggios, tapping, string skipping, economy picking....you name it. I mean, I'm hearing it and I'm stunned. It's now almost 30 years since I took a guitar in my hands and I feel like I'm still far far behind...If I may ask "these guys" a question: where do you learn these advanced styles at all?

So, what I would like to ask is:
- Are you guys mostly self-taught or did you have lessons with instructors to reach this level?
- If you know of any good free lessons online, would you please be so kind to share them?

Here where I live there aren't any academies or intructors on disposition, so I'm hopping on a few tips from you. I've searched on youtube, internet, but I spent a lot of time (which I also have a lack of) and didn't find that much systemised knowledge and lessons. If I'm going to subscribe, I would at least like to know it from you if it's worth of it. Any hint of yours is very welcome and I would highly appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance.

Ivo

Do a youtube search for John Petrucci of Dream Theater. Listen to him constantly to get a feel for his vibe.

I would venture to guess that most of what you hear isn't self taught. Most of the prog metal guys I know are steeped in theory, but are blessed with remarkable talent to translate that theory into beautiful music.

I'm self taught and dabble in that style a little, but can't come close to some of the stars on Youtube for sure.

+1 self-taught here as well. Influence is a lot of it, who you like and listen to that your fingering matches up with best. Skill level progresses with time and of corse practice then as your progress you can pick up different styles of playing and adapt. I don't know of any modern day guitar player that hasn't done it in this manor.

I'm self taught also, but I'm not exactly a virtuoso.
What i think is both fun and educational is to sign up with some online guitar site. What i can recommend is www. guitarmasterclass.net
You have a LOT of stuff there, all styles, all levels. In particular i like lessons from Emir Hot and Muris Varajic. You get tabs for everything, videos explaining stuff and backings in different tempo. It's not free but at least you can listen to every lesson they have before you subscribe.
I have also bought and downloaded some stuff from jamtrackcentral.com
Sfogli and Vinai Trapa....? Well that name is hard to remember. There you also get backing tracks, tabs and everything.

I taught myself for the first year I played, took lessons from a private instructor for three years after that, had a few years of self exploration (enough to decide I wanted a more formal education), and then went through Musicians Institutes GIT and Performance Degree programs. I have been teaching private music lessons for the last 25 years. Daily focused practice on technique is the shortest path to proficiency in any area. Starting with small easily attainable goals and building on each success leads to the best permanent process. There is no substitute for the thousands of hours and repetitions it takes to truly master any technique. Take it a step at a time.

My suggestions is to get a collection of guitar players music that you want to be able play in their style. From there try to obtain everything you can as far as videos, mp3, books tabs etc. Also makes sure to learn at least three note patterns per string and learn the seven modal positions for say C major to begin with. This will help you to really learn the fretboard. Also when practicing always practice something that is your weakness area for example if you are not good at sweep picking start working on it everyday. I put hours of practice in each day on the techniques I find difficult for me. Another very important thing to do is get some backing tracks in various keys and implement improvising using the techniques you are trying to perfect jamming through these backing tracks are very important in getting better at jamming in any key. Keep working hard and make sure your practice time is spent on new things I think these things are a good start. I would be happy to do a voice call using Skype if you ever want to discuss the guitar. I study the guitar everyday and never stop I have been playing for 46 years but over the last 15 I have really put into improving my abilities it is a lifetime journey with no limits .

@ Kidsfeet

Thanks. Petrucci was never my first choice but since I can not find any lessons of my favourite guitar players, I'll check him out anyway. There's much to learn from him.

@ Sixstring

That's a good starting point - influences. Thanks for the tip.

@ ztevie

I've checked all of the mentioned. Sfogli and Vinai I find inspiring, I like their style, feeling and smoothness. Thank you for directing me to their work.

@ groovenut

You're absolutely right and it sounds logically; small easy attainable goals and building on each success, one step at a time. That is the right way. Nice put, thanks a lot.

@ Mark

Thanks you for your concrete tips and for your kind offer. You helped me a lot already with ponting me back to the basics. You're right with choosing guitar players with a style that suits me (like Sixstring has also mentioned), modal positions and jamming along backing tracks. That already worked well for me in the past but I kind of forgot it and I don't practice it any more (out of lack of time, but I see it's inevitable if I want to progress).

I'll try some different approaches and start practicing as much as find time, that is the key. Cool ideas come from practicing and trying different things. In another 30 years I hope to come closer to the guys from the "Recordings" forum...

Thank you all for helping me to regain my focus on what's important. If you have some other online lessons that cross your mind, please post them. I appreciate your time to help me here.

Cheers

Here is a video I did you can check out I am using pentatonic scales mixed with chromatic notes. I am also using three note per string patterns and incorporating some sweep picking. Its all improvised so it is not a well thought out solo like the kind I write for songs that I write and also help others with. But it was a fun jam and it might give you some ideas to look at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbngV7_41jI

This one is a slower solo with more sustained notes and bends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76b4nlxJevw

Thanks that was my old GT10 pedal I still have it. I love the guitar and work everyday at getting better. A lot of the stuff I record is much more slower and tasteful stuff but I love all styles of music and I appreciate all guitar players playing no matter where they are in their learning. Guitar really is a lifetime journey its an endless sea of he things to learn sometimes I feel as if I don't know hardly anything but that is a good thing it keeps me learning. I watched a few of your videos I can tell you have dedicated allot of time to your playing its great to see passion like you have and its great to see you share it with the world.

Here is a video I did you can check out I am using pentatonic scales mixed with chromatic notes. I am also using three note per string patterns and incorporating some sweep picking. Its all improvised so it is not a well thought out solo like the kind I write for songs that I write and also help others with. But it was a fun jam and it might give you some ideas to look at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbngV7_41jI

This one is a slower solo with more sustained notes and bends.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76b4nlxJevw

Your first video is great. Fast picking and nice fingerwork. That SG sounds awesome, it has a full organic sound. I have one too and played it before changing to 7 string guitar.

Last edited:
I can honestly that my biggest downfall was being a "big" Metallica fan when I started playing. That's all i wanted to learn, i used to think Kirk was the best thing since the axe fx. It wasn't until i hear Marty Friedman play that open a whole new style of playing. To me it has helped listening to as many styles as possible. I'm far from a great lead guitarist but I can honestly say I learned a lot from hearing guys such as petrucci, Govan, and gamble.

I'm slowly trying to transition into rock fusion. It blows my mind. I hope one day I can learn the style.

I can honestly that my biggest downfall was being a "big" Metallica fan when I started playing. That's all i wanted to learn, i used to think Kirk was the best thing since the axe fx. It wasn't until i hear Marty Friedman play that open a whole new style of playing. To me it has helped listening to as many styles as possible. I'm far from a great lead guitarist but I can honestly say I learned a lot from hearing guys such as petrucci, Govan, and gamble.

I'm slowly trying to transition into rock fusion. It blows my mind. I hope one day I can learn the style.

Well, everyone has to start somewhere. Don't underestimate the contribution of Metallica to all of the modern styles of rock and metal. Maybe Kirk was not himself an outstanding solo guitar player but his style made Metallica sound what it was. Their riffing and their music is just a school of metal (I'm talking about all what they've done until and inclusive Black album). I remember as I heard Pantera for the first time, to me it was like Metallica only much faster and much more aggressive in a good way. Dimebag is still one of my favourites but he also has his style which I do not want necessarily to copy.

I agree all music that is created gives us an opportunity to learn from it. There are guitarists who learn some songs and jam them for years and there are guitarist who are always trying to improve their abilities. I choose to keep learning there is so many cool things that can be done on a guitar its just back matter of seeking it out, learning the material and putting the time in making it all possible to learn. When I see someone say I wish I could play like Steve Via for example I say you can just wok hard to achieve the desired results. Anything is possible when we put our minds to it. Checkout John Denner on YouTube he has lost a hand and still manages to pull off Eruption from Van Halen. This is the kind of dedication I'm talking about.

I guess I'm a proponent of old school teaching. I think there is great value in a lot of the videos and guitarists can learn a great deal from that. With that said, after teaching guitar for about 40 years now, what the videos cannot do is give corrective feedback like hand position, picking techniques, and many other small details that make a huge difference in how a student progresses. While scales and arpeggios are fine, they do not really make great music. Great music is finding and expressing the sweet spots as chords go by, and constructing melody over the chords. I would rather listen to five notes that really hit the sweet spots than 5 thousand that just spell a scale or arp. In addition to working on scales and arpeggios, I suggest you also learn about target notes, passing tones, and interval studies to train your ear. Just my 2 cents.

^^^ This is why video will never take the place of one on one tutoring. The human element mixed with direct specialized feedback is what makes accelerated learning one of the key elements to private lessons.

Back
Top Bottom