Progressive metal FW 10 mixtest The Unexpected Side

lecorff

Hey guys just uploaded a new song on soundcloud & I'm looking for comments on the mixing etc. It's the first song I mix through my studio monitors(JBL2123P) and I still have to learn a lot about them.

The guitars were recorded direct with the Axe-FX via SPDIF through my Presonus Firestudio project with my Schecter Blackjack, the patch I used is a tweaked version of the patch Wes Hauch created with Diego of Volumes that I got on axe-change (thanks guys!).
The bass is an Ibanez BTB 4 string through a Mark Bass LMII, the drums are Superior Drummer 2.0 w/ Metal Foundry.

I work with Presonus Studio One 2.5 DAW.

Hope you enjoy it, have a nice weekend guys!

lecorff, overall I liked it, but allow me give you my 2 cents (I've used 1 pair of headphones so far here at the office, will reference with more sources tonight)

So far:
- The guitars sound a little too bright (or present) for my taste
- I'd add more bass to the overall mix. I can hear its "midrangy" portion, but you could enforce the lows a bit more
- Bring the drums forward.

The part where I usually struggle the most is in blending the bass drum with the bass with the guitar low end nicely. I have a lot to experiment in this area

Cheers

Hi Kengtin, the reason why I mixed the bass guitars body that high is in fact because of the challenge you mentioned at the end of your post. I feel it's really easier to get a nice BD/bass separation that way, though I will definitely try bringing more low end to the bass. Thank you for your comments!

I should upload a new version of the mixtest soon.

Sounds great! Couple things I noticed that you could improve on:

- Kick drum feels lost in the mix, and isn't really 'glued' together with the bass. Also, drums are very quiet.
- Like Kengtin said, mids are audible on the bass, but I'm not feeling much low end.
- Mid-low end on the guitar seems nonexistent. Cut up to around 150hz and then boost the bass guitar around 90-120hz for a nice 'oomph'.

Back
Top Bottom