Progress report :o)

Radley

Experienced
Hey Everyone - Just a little progress report on my new AFX II/MFC-101 touring setup:

I've 'conferenced' with Matt a number of times now, and he continues to be a 'fountain' of information - so glad he's working for Fractal!! :)

Still getting the hang of how AxeEdit, the MFC-101 and the AFX II prefer to communicate, but I'm starting to pull my presets together, and I am more impressed every day as I refine both my EG and AG sounds...

A few highlights so far:

I *love* the 'Slew Limit' control in the Drive block (seems like a unique feature to the AFX) - take it up past 5 and you enter that bluesy, smokey world of lazy attacks and simmering, sultry sustain... I also *love* the '4558/Diode' clip type in the Drive block - this one has some 'special sauce' that begs to be played - you may need to decrease the OD gain a bit but *MY* does it deliver the goods...

I am majorly impressed at the many types of ambiance I have access to in the AFX II:

* The Reverb block has a dedicated control for Early Reflection level, so it can be cranked up separately for some smaller room acoustics.

* The Cabs feature a Room Ambiance section, and if you max out the mic distance you'll be amazed how much depth you can dial into your presets.

* The Dynamics parameter in the Amp block is excellent for adding extra Oomph and attack to gainy solo sounds - I find it is most effective when the Sag parameter is 5 or below...

Gotta get back to programming now!

~Hadley~

More Progress! :) - I was *actually home* when the UPS man delivered my spare AFX II today (signature required - I missed him yesterday). But seriously, I have been working with the MFC's alternate preset feature, and it is now the *primary function* I will be using to achieve a *huge* number of presets without ever changing banks. This is a major breakthrough for me - what a great feature, and I plan to use it to the max! :)

The AFX II/MFC-101 combination is truly the most flexible system I have ever used, while also being the most compact and sonically uncompromising. I am truly blown away with the sounds this rig is producing for me, and I will proudly use it live, in the studio, or anywhere else 'no compromise' sound is required...

More details to come about the final state of the rig, if anyone is interested - if not, just know that I will be playing this next tour with much more confidence, thanks to Cliff & the Boyz at Fractal!.... 8)

I will be posting a lot less here in the future as I hit the road... keep on Rockin'!

~Radster~

I was *actually home* when the UPS man delivered my spare AFX II today
Oops, that means you'll only be making money in the 2nd part of the tour? ;)

Are you trusting the MFC on its own with another pedal as backup, or x2 as well?
I would take some risks to still make a buck though... :mrgreen

Anyway, have fun & Love on the Rocks!

I am leaving town with 2 AFX IIs and 2 MFC-101s - I always have a backup for every piece I use onstage (it's called 'failsafe', and I live by it)

Great! And if you play it well on stage, your may receive plenty of underwear backups for the wife as well :D

I'm sure you've seen it all... ;)
We will be waiting for your book! You can still beat Steve Lukather to it, or tell him to hurry up :)
"LA Rats Tell All!" :D

My main concern for you was getting a duplicate for every gear but glad you got it sorted out!

What is the MFC "alternate preset" mode he's talking about?

Back
Top Bottom