Programming the FM3 with a FC-12 is frustrating

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I see the "show as" and the "show edits on", but no matter I cannot program the FM3 buttons and the FC12. If I set the FM3 buttons up and switch to show as F12, it just changes the FM3. This happens when I click off and on the various "Show Edits On" and have tried everything. This thing is pretty hard to freaking program IMO.

Attachments

• PRACTICE MAIN_20210130_085622.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 8.57.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 8.57.50 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
Are you trying to make switch assignments for both the FM3 and FC12 within the same layout? That’s not how layouts work. Each layout has 12 switch assignments and can be used on either the FM3 or FC12. On the FM3 they are split into 4 views of 3 switches and on the FC12 a layout is just a single view with 12 switches. I generally create separate layouts specifically for the FM3 and others for my FC.

This does not make sense. I want my FM3 to stay always in Layout 9, which is master. I want the FM3 to ALWAYS have Presets, Scenes and Effects aka Master layout 9. When I hit those buttons on the FM3, I want it to take me to Layout 1 for Presets or Layout 2 for Scenes or Layout 3 for Effects. BUT I need to have the FM3 not show anything different than Presets, Scenes and Effects choices when I hit that button. Am I clear on what I'm trying to accomplish?

Last edited:
This does not make sense. I want my FM3 to stay always in Layout 9, which is master. I want the FM3 to ALWAYS have Presets, Scenes and Effects aka Master layout 9. When I hit those buttons on the FM3, I want it to take me to Layout 1 for Presets or Layout 2 for Scenes or Layout 3 for Effects. BUT I need to have the FM3 not show anything different than Presets, Scenes and Effects choices when I hit that button Am I clear on what I'm trying to accomplish?
I think what you want is just a Layout Link for the switches on the FM3. You can set them up to each select a different layout on your FC12. I suppose you'd just set the tap and hold functions on the FM3 switches to "Unassigned" since you don't want to do anything other than switch layouts on your FC12. But you won't be able to label them unless you assign them something as a tap function.

I appreciate the help, but nothing is working and very frustrated. I'll repeat: This thing needs to be re-addressed as it should not take a PHD to figure this out. I understand layouts.....but I can't get this horse to do simple tricks.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

What I need:

I want my FM3 to stay always in Layout 9, which is master. I want the FM3 to ALWAYS have Presets, Scenes and Effects aka Master layout 9. When I hit those buttons on the FM3, I want it to take me to Layout 1 for Presets or Layout 2 for Scenes or Layout 3 for Effects on the FC12. BUT I need to have the FM3 not show anything different than Presets, Scenes and Effects choices when I hit that button. I am having issues only with getting the FM3 to stay in it's own thing.

When I hit Presets on the FM3 the FC12 changes to presets, but the FM3 also does the 1st 3 Presets. Also when in Presets and trying to bank up and down, the Layout 1 won't do that. It stays in Preset 2 but then flashes what bank it may go to, then does not.

I'm going to go bite a towel and scream into it......I'll be back in a second.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.55.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.55.47 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.58.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.58.42 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.58.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.58.17 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.57.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.57.59 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.57.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 7.57.27 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

What I need:

I want my FM3 to stay always in Layout 9, which is master. I want the FM3 to ALWAYS have Presets, Scenes and Effects aka Master layout 9. When I hit those buttons on the FM3, I want it to take me to Layout 1 for Presets or Layout 2 for Scenes or Layout 3 for Effects on the FC12. BUT I need to have the FM3 not show anything different than Presets, Scenes and Effects choices when I hit that button. I am having issues only with getting the FM3 to stay in it's own thing.

When I hit Presets on the FM3 the FC12 changes to presets, but the FM3 also does the 1st 3 Presets. Also when in Presets and trying to bank up and down, the Layout 1 won't do that. It stays in Preset 2 but then flashes what bank it may go to, then does not.

I'm going to go bite a towel and scream into it......I'll be back in a second.
So it sounds like you have layout links setup to take the FC to the correct layout. The problem is your master layout for the FM still has the switch assignments that change its layout. You have to set the tap function for the FM3’s switches to “Unassigned” in the master layout if you don’t want them to do anything other than change your layout on the FC.

Well when I hit the Presets button on the FM3 it stays preset on FM3 and switches to Presets on the FC12. But when I select a Preset on the FC12 it does not switch to Scenes like I want. I then have to go to FM3 and hit button 2 which is Scenes. Anyways to do what I'm trying to do. I want my preset hit to call up that patches scenes/effects.

Well when I hit the Presets button on the FM3 it stays preset on FM3 and switches to Presets on the FC12. But when I select a Preset on the FC12 it does not switch to Scenes like I want. I then have to go to FM3 and hit button 2 which is Scenes. Anyways to do what I'm trying to do. I want my preset hit to call up that patches scenes/effects.
Then the preset switches in your FC Presets layout need to have layout links that change the FC layout to your Scenes layout.

So it sounds like you have layout links setup to take the FC to the correct layout. The problem is your master layout for the FM still has the switch assignments that change its layout. You have to set the tap function for the FM3’s switches to “Unassigned” in the master layout if you don’t want them to do anything other than change your layout on the FC.
As you pointed out earlier the problem is that if the function is unassigned you don’t have a label. The OMG9 layout gets around this problem by assigning a View as the function and providing a custom label.

As you pointed out earlier the problem is that if the function is unassigned you don’t have a label. The OMG9 layout gets around this problem by assigning a View as the function and providing a custom label.
Yeah there are ways around it not having a label, but I was trying to keep it simple just to see if we could get the basics of what he wants working.

I see the "show as" and the "show edits on", but no matter I cannot program the FM3 buttons and the FC12. If I set the FM3 buttons up and switch to show as F12, it just changes the FM3. This happens when I click off and on the various "Show Edits On" and have tried everything. This thing is pretty hard to freaking program IMO.
I actually take objection to your title and your tone.
I have repeatedly offered help and even started a private conversation with you to debug the issues you are having.

May I suggest you actually READ and UNDERSTAND the manual?

Even so, I repeat my offer, PM me and I'll help you. But please don't vent your frustration by blaming the product. it's annoying. (Where's that Thumbs Down icon???)

I actually take objection to your title and your tone.
I have repeatedly offered help and even started a private conversation with you to debug the issues you are having.

May I suggest you actually READ and UNDERSTAND the manual?

Even so, I repeat my offer, PM me and I'll help you. But please don't vent your frustration by blaming the product. it's annoying. (Where's that Thumbs Down icon???)
The FC layouts is not that intuitive. My opinion. I did read the manual. I searched the web. I searched here. Still cannot do a very simple design flow. My attitude is that my entire Sunday has been spent on this and still I'm not where I need to be. This layouts within layouts, within layouts, is very confusing. Is what is, but I'm voicing my frustration. I'm trying all suggestions.

All working but when I press preset on FM3 it takes me to Presets on FC12. BUT...when I go to select that preset it doesn't change to that preset and load the scenes. I have to press Scenes on the FM3. What to do to make this function in what I see as a very standard operation style that many/most would like.

Do you have layout links set up for your preset switches in your FC12 layouts? Preset switches do not go anywhere on the FC's by default. They simply load that preset in the Axe III or FM3. You have to set up layout links for each one to make it change to the layout you want.

All working but when I press preset on FM3 it takes me to Presets on FC12. BUT...when I go to select that preset it doesn't change to that preset and load the scenes. I have to press Scenes on the FM3. What to do to make this function in what I see as a very standard operation style that many/most would like.
You need to add a layout link to each Preset switch that you want to change to the scenes layout after it switches to the preset.

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo.../Fractal-Audio-Footswitch-Functions-Guide.pdf

4CA8FFB6-5E75-4005-BAAE-3EC39F7FDCC2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom