Programming Presets

MKeditor

Experienced
I want to do the most simple and basic function of a midi foot controller. I want to assign a preset to a preset button. I've spent well over two hours reading the manual, watching videos and reading wikis that explain and demonstrate all kinds of functions from cool to complicated to just plain weird but for the life of me I can't find anything that explains how to assign preset #2 to tell the black box to give me preset #7.... properly.

If I change the midi map it will make preset #2 give preset #7 on the Axe-FX.....BUT.....once I select it.....when I step on another preset I'm in bank 2. For example: I start in bank 1, preset #1 (Fender Deluxe 000), step on #2 it does what I want and goes to preset #7 on the Axe-FX (chorus 007). When I step on #1 again I get preset #5 on the Axe-FX (Vox 005) !!!!

Do I just need to take it out of Axe-FX mode?

Please help me stop the madness. I have wasted my Saturday morning trying to solve this rather than play my guitar. I'm sure there is some very simple solution that has eluded me. If some kind soul could let me know I will be grateful. Thanks guys.

BTW: Perhaps it's just me but wouldn't it make far more sense to just simple edit the preset in the preset section? Couldn't we just enter the Axe-FX preset number and call it good?

Last edited:
You would probably get a better and faster response if you sent LF admins a message/question.
There are a few players here who have the LF controllers but its Saturday, and most will sleep in then go to their respective gigs.

OK.. this is FAR SIMPLER than you are making it.. I think you should revist your approach.
Why map presets on the MFC to the Axe ? It's a hassle - as you are stuck with it when done - and ActiveSync does not work with that approach - exhibiting behavior like that described in your OP when turned on.

Here's my recommendation -
if you want to have buttons 1-5 on the MFC select presets (for example) 31, 75, 16, 249 and 328... leave the MFC at default settings and move those presets (on the Axe) into slots 1-5 using AxeManage. Done.
You can always take backups and restore to a prior setup very quickly..
Problem solved.

PS: there are other approaches - such as using song mode if you want additional flexibilty.

Every controller I've ever owned has been easily able to assign presets. Is the MFC not capable to do it?

Looks like s0c9 has pointed the right direction. The Song mode could be the solution.

From the MFC-101 Manual:

SONG MODE and SET MODE are counterparts to PRESET MODE. Remember that all of these share the same set 384 MFC-101 presets, and that AXE-FX MODE runs independently of all three. Here’s a review of the differences between Performance Modes:
SONG MODE and SET MODE are counterparts to PRESET MODE. Remember that all of these share the same set 384 MFC-101 presets, and that AXE-FX MODE runs independently of all three. Here’s a review of the differences between Performance Modes: MODE PRESETS UP/DOWN FOOTSWITCHES
PRESET MODE: 384 Presets total are arranged in strict numerical order1 across Banks. The number of preset footswitches per Bank is set by the global Bank Size. Up/Down footswitches step through all Banks in strict numerical order. The number of banks depends on the global Bank size and the last bank may have some empty footswitches which do nothing.
SONG MODE: Uses the same 384 presets as PRESET MODE, but arranged as desired across the preset footswitches for each of 100 Songs. The number of presets which can be added to each song is 15, though you’ll only be able to access as many as there are preset-selecting footswitches as set by the global Bank Size. Up/Down footswitches step through all 100 Songs in strict numerical order.
SET MODE {1-10}: Allows you Uses the same Songs as SONG MODE, and therefore their same Presets. The Up/Down footswitches step through the Songs of the selected set, arranged as desired in the current Set specified as the Operating Mode.

A Song is similar to a Bank, except that it contains up to 15 MFC-101 Presets assigned to the numbered footswitches in any order you choose. Songs are likewise subject to the global Bank Size and Style settings, meaning that although you can place up to 15 Presets into the song’s 15 “slots,” some of these may not be available for selection in PERFORMANCE MODE if the Bank Size is smaller than 15.

From these it looks like if you set the bank size to 5 (to have the other switches for effects ON/OFF) you can have 100 songs with 5 presets in each. With UP/down going through the songs. Hopefully that answers your question.

I did something similar to what s0c9 is suggesting. As I liked all the guitar tones being in those first 50 slots and I wanted to leave it that way for the time being. So I started my live stage presets at slot 100, and use 100 to 109 (2 banks of 5) for my live presets. Note that I wasn't using the stock presets in 100 to 109. Then all you have to do from there is save the presets in the order you want them to those locations, go on your MFC and "bank up" to 100 and they will work like you are needing. In your situation, it would be preset 100 to 104.

Others have wiped a whole bank of 127 presets to use that room for their user presets (I am considering doing this myself). Trust me, you will keep adding "oh yeah, I need that available too" presets, so start where you have room. Another thing to keep in mind is that you always have the stock presets available to put back in so don't be bashful about removing them. I remember reading one user wiped all stock presets, then went back in Axe Edit and added everything he actually liked back to bank B and C, and reserved ALL of bank A for his own presets because he liked starting at preset 1. Do whatever works for you! That's the beauty of this rig.

Just for clarification, note that "Bank" in the Axe Fx II means one of three groups of presets (saved as A, B, or C in the preset download, and in Axe Edit), whereas on the MFC is is the group of switch button selections that become available each time you click the bank up or down switches. I guess that could make the whole process cloudy if you confuse the two.

Every controller I've ever owned has been easily able to assign presets. Is the MFC not capable to do it?
Yes, it will do it. I felt the OP was looking for a means of matching them in numeric order to the Axe Fx, and was adding a bit to s0c9s suggestion. In Axe II mode, this works fine. The cool thing about staying in that mode is that you also get feedback from the Axe II (change the preset on the Axe, the MFC reflects it). I don't think that works in other modes, but I may be wrong.

He can also take it out of Axe II mode and just assign each IA switch to a particular preset, and off you go.

Yes, it will do it. I felt the OP was looking for a means of matching them in numeric order to the Axe Fx, and was adding a bit to s0c9s suggestion. In Axe II mode, this works fine. The cool thing about staying in that mode is that you also get feedback from the Axe II (change the preset on the Axe, the MFC reflects it). I don't think that works in other modes, but I may be wrong.

He can also take it out of Axe II mode and just assign each IA switch to a particular preset, and off you go.
Agreed... +1.. however, it will NOT work (as envisioned) with ActiveSync turned on - due to limitations in ActiveSync. Hence my suggestion.

So here's my understanding of limitation with active sync...
Suppose one has the following presets "mapped" to buttons 1->5 31, 75, 16, 249 and 328 and you have 5 presets per bank. Same process applies to ANY bank size AFAIK.

So you bank up or down on the MFC into 1st bank, then select a preset #3 (which equates to preset A016 based on example listed above) it WILL select that preset - A016. If you then press #4 - thinking it should select B249 - you will get A017.. the next preset up. If you press #2 you will get A0015. If you reset the selection (bank up/down then back to 1st bank) and select for example, #5 ... you will get C328. If you press #4, you will get C327, not B249.

With ActiveSync on, the first button selected in the mapped bank sets the starting "reference" point in the bank. all presets in the bank are then relative to that first selection. Any preset selections in banks above or below that are relative to the first selection. You can work around this limitation by turning it off. However, you give up certain sync features in doing so. Note that AFAIK, this only applies to mapped presets in AxeFx mode with ActiveSync ON !

It seems like a LOT of effort to do this when It's far easier to use song mode, or re-sequence your preset order on the Axe IMHO.

IOW - there's more than one way to get the end result if one thinks outside the box :)
YMMV

Totally correct, s0c9, from my limited MFC experience (since Feb 2012). I wanted to keep all of the ActiveSync function, so I just put things into the slots I wanted them in the AxeFx and it works like a charm. I just leave the MFC in Axe II mode, 5 preset mode and there are no conflicts at all.

I'm not the first guy to want to assign presets. I've been using midi controllers since the 80's. This is the way it's normally done. I'm surprised that there are no other threads about this. I organize clean amp patches together in one place, mid-gain in another and high gain in yet another and so on so that I can easily audition similar tones from the front panel. It also makes it easier to find in the editor or to change on the controller since they're just a few slots away. Yes, it can be accomplished by playing musical chairs on the Axe-FX every time you want to switch out a patch. It seems a bit like moving all the buildings of business you are running errands to so they are on the same street in the sequence you plan on visiting them though.

I'm puzzled by the limitation. Fractal came up some very cool ideas for the MCF-101. There appears to be a lot of thought and polish to it. Why would Fractal not provide a basic function available on every other controller? Strange choice.

Thanks for all the input. At least I'm not imagining things or missing the obvious. I'll follow the carrot to at least get it to be usable. I'll come up with a work around.

Last edited:
The Axe II mode is really a step up from past controllers. The synced behaviors between the units, including bringing the tuner to the footcontroller, is a step up from the many past midi controllers I have used. In order for all of this to work, I had to abandon the way I have always done it and embrace a new mindset. Like you, I also like grouping things so they suit what I am doing. The only difference is that now I don't start at channel 1 like I always did. Arranging the Axe II to match the midi controller instead of the other way around is the "new way" I had to wrap my head around.

In essence, it is the same thing, but it seemed "wrong." Let me tell ya, it works very right! And I get to keep all the auto-sync functions too. It is really getting everything I want and giving up nothing (except, perhaps, my way of doing things). Give it a shot, I think you'll dig it!

Check out MFC manual section 12.4.3, Axe FX Preset Transmit Map. Is that not what you're looking for? Any MFC preset can be set to recall any Axe-FX preset in Axe-FX mode. (Or when not in Axe-FX mode but then the setting would be made at the generic channel PC menu, not the transmit map).

Check out MFC manual section 12.4.3, Axe FX Preset Transmit Map. Is that not what you're looking for? Any MFC preset can be set to recall any Axe-FX preset in Axe-FX mode. (Or when not in Axe-FX mode but then the setting would be made at the generic channel PC menu, not the transmit map).

I did try the Transmit map...it did change the preset correctly but it changes the bank. See my first post.

The Axe II mode is really a step up from past controllers. The synced behaviors between the units, including bringing the tuner to the footcontroller, is a step up from the many past midi controllers I have used. In order for all of this to work, I had to abandon the way I have always done it and embrace a new mindset. Like you, I also like grouping things so they suit what I am doing. The only difference is that now I don't start at channel 1 like I always did. Arranging the Axe II to match the midi controller instead of the other way around is the "new way" I had to wrap my head around.

In essence, it is the same thing, but it seemed "wrong." Let me tell ya, it works very right! And I get to keep all the auto-sync functions too. It is really getting everything I want and giving up nothing (except, perhaps, my way of doing things). Give it a shot, I think you'll dig it!

I'm willing to explore new ideas. I may be an old dog but I like learning new tricks. I just don't see an advantage in presets spread all over the Axe-FX in order to get them to be in the right sequence for the controller. If it is a software limitation that won't allow it and still have all the other new functions, I'm willing to accept that. My guess though is it IS possible in the same way we can assign IA switches to blocks. In essence, I think I can have my cake and eat it too. Perhaps a Fractal insider will chime in and give us the scoop. At any rate I'm glad it's working for you and either way I'll make it work.

Is TotalSync on or off? I'm guessing on and that's what's causing the MFC bank issue. The manual mentions it's not compatible with non-default Tx Mapping. Turn it off & the MFC should always recall the preset you'd expect.

Is TotalSync on or off? I'm guessing on and that's what's causing the MFC bank issue. The manual mentions it's not compatible with non-default Tx Mapping. Turn it off & the MFC should always recall the preset you'd expect.
Correct... the mapping does not work with ActiveSync....

Back
Top Bottom