Programming EXP controllers with Axe Fx II and Boss Es-8

fxman_31

Hi guys

Swear this ES-8 will be the death of me but here goes nothing. So most functions I've sussed out to control the Axe Fx II, however I cannot for the life of me get expression pedals working. So this is what I am using to control the axe fx:

- Boss ES8
- Mission Engineering SP1 (to turn on wah block in patches)
- Mission Engineering EP1 (volume and wet/dry mix)

Now I used to use the MFC101 and this was a simple process. TRS connections from the pedal to EXP1 and EXP2, then assign external 1 or 2 in the control block of the effect. Now the ES-8 is in the chain, disaster!!

I have tried both pedals in EXP 1 and 2, CTL/EXP 1/2. I have followed Boss instructions in setting an assign and no matter what I do I cannot get these exp pedals to activate and control the wah. Only thing that changes is when turning the switch on the SP1, in the patch menu you can see CTL 1 turn on an OFF nothing more.

Has anyone any experience with setting their expression pedals and specialty sounds like a wah on with the Boss ES8 and the Mission pedals (or any exp pedals to be honest)

At a loss right now. Feeling very hopeless and stupid atm.

Cheers

Matt

Don't have a Boss unit, but plenty of time mucking about assigning a 3rd party controller to the Axe. Couple questions for your setup. Ae you using MIDI to talk to the Axe from the ES-8? My guess is no. If so, changes stuff. So - can you plug your Mission pedals directly into the Axe and assign them to control what you want - for instance, the wah? If not, figure that out first - assign PEDAL 1 or 2 or two as EXT CTRL 1 or 2, then assign EXT CTRL 1 or 2 as your SOURCE on the MODIFIER page for the item you want to control. If you can do that, you've ruled out the Mission pedals as a problem.

Guessing here since I don't have the Boss unit, but I think this is where the problem lies. It seems like the way it works would be - you plug your Mission pedal into it, then send a cable from the Boss unit to the Pedal input on the Axe. Kinda' like straight into the Axe, just using the Boss as a kind of splitter. I imagine there are some settings on the Boss to make that happen. The Boss just distributes the pedal signal to the Axe. If you can make the pedal work directly into the Axe, then something's getting lost in the translation from pedal to Boss to Axe.

The MFC has all this set up to match the Axe. The assignment part you need to do within the Boss to Axe is already the default on the MFC to the Axe. The Pedal 1 or 2 inputs on the MFC are just extensions from the Axe, through the cable that connects MFC to Axe. Those Pedal 1 or 2 inputs on the Axe itself are unused in that scenario.

Don't know if this helps, just a SWAG 'cuz I like this stuff; I hope it makes sense. Please post if this works or not, this can be frustrating. I've got a 2-3 hour experience finding one setting to change to make something work...funny story, the next day after I ran my head into the wall a few times finding the right setting.

HI MikeDV, yeah midi out/thru being sent to Midi in of the axe fx 2. I can program scene and patch changes, just these bloody exp pedals.

Matt

So confused this is beyond confusing and im about done. #20 where on the axe? think im about to bin these exp options and go analog. im hopeless

Back
Top Bottom