Program Change Mapping and FM3 Switches

Tones2

Experienced
Does Program Change Mapping ONLY apply to incoming program changes via MIDI? It would be great be able to have the onboard FM3 switches (or connected external switches) increment through this mapping - i.e. set up a full gig map and just have a button that increments through all the preset / scene combinations sequentially in the map that you would use in sequence in each song for the full gig. Probably this can't be done but I just thought I would ask. :)

I don't know if I am answering your question or not, but my understanding is that the FM3 can be used to send PC and CC messages. You can setup scenes so that they transmit a package of PC and CC messages upon loading the scene. Scene and preset changes can be done from the foot switches.

I don't know if I am answering your question or not, but my understanding is that the FM3 can be used to send PC and CC messages. You can setup scenes so that they transmit a package of PC and CC messages upon loading the scene. Scene and preset changes can be done from the foot switches.

Scene and presets changes can certainly be done from the footswitches - that is their purpose. :) I know the footswitches can't transmit MIDI to the unit itself. But I was just wondering if it can use the program change map in some way to not only sequence presets different then how they are sequenced in preset memory but attach a specific scene to the preset in the Preset Map. Probably not, but that would be cool.

By comparison, Kemper has a whole separate performance mode that you can load presets in an order you want separately from program memory (that can be used to sequence presets as need in your set's running order) and scroll through that sequence up or down and even put them in banks and scroll though banks. Very very useful.

a performance mode for the FC controllers (and most likely the FM3 since it uses "FC tech" in it) has been requested and is on the to do list. that should solve this in the future.

i would think PC Mapping is way more tedious to setup than dragging presets around in different orders in FM3-Edit.

a performance mode for the FC controllers (and most likely the FM3 since it uses "FC tech" in it) has been requested and is on the to do list. that should solve this in the future.

i would think PC Mapping is way more tedious to setup than dragging presets around in different orders in FM3-Edit.

The issue is that rearranging presets does not allow you to select BOTH the preset and the scene at the same time. Mapping will do that. I guess I can set up new presets instead of scenes within presets, put them in song set order, and linearly scroll through them using preset increment / excrement, but preset mapping is a more elegant solution.

The issue is that rearranging presets does not allow you to select BOTH the preset and the scene at the same time. Mapping will do that. I guess I can set up new presets instead of scenes within presets, put them in song set order, and linearly scroll through them using preset increment / excrement, but preset mapping is a more elegant solution.
i see. yes, if you want a specific "next, next, next" workflow, Mapping might be a good option. i personally would stick to Presets for that workflow, and just use Scene 1 on each. sometimes Scenes with the "next" method gets confusing.

i see. yes, if you want a specific "next, next, next" workflow, Mapping might be a good option. i personally would stick to Presets for that workflow, and just use Scene 1 on each. sometimes Scenes with the "next" method gets confusing.

I agree. If I can't access PC mapping from a footswitch (which I assume I can't), I'll probably go the all preset and one scene within them route, and then scroll through them in song set order during the set. To me that's the most efficient direct way of using the 3 onboard switches live - 2 switch to increment / decrement presets and one as a tuner with hold switching to a different or master layout.

My understanding from a previous thread on Axe Fx III is that the FC switches DO follow PC Mapping if it is set up.

I did test PC Mapping but I was only driving it externally via MIDI. In general, the intent is for the FM3 to be compatible with Axe-Fx III behavior where possible. I don’t know what either unit does with PC Mapping and internal preset navigation. Intuitively, I would not expect internal preset navigation to use the PC Mapping - I don’t know of any other MIDI device that works that way.

I will experiment with this when I have some time and report back my findings.

I did test PC Mapping but I was only driving it externally via MIDI. In general, the intent is for the FM3 to be compatible with Axe-Fx III behavior where possible. I don’t know what either unit does with PC Mapping and internal preset navigation. Intuitively, I would not expect internal preset navigation to use the PC Mapping - I don’t know of any other MIDI device that works that way.

That would be awesome. 🤘 I'd test this myself but I do not have an AFX 3 nor obviously an FM3. :)

I found the thread and post from BryantP:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...nother-scene-than-scene-1.157016/post-1870717

SO IT DOES WORK! o_O Wow - Following PC Mapping makes only have 3 buttons now bearable to me, especially with the addition of 2 external button. SUPER THANKS TO YOU!!! 🤘 Hopefully this works the same in the FM3.

I tested this on the FM3 tonight and it works just fine on the FM3. I only did a couple banks of presets but sure enough, it did what you'd want it to. Very cool - I never knew about this before.

Hello.

Searched the forums but not found the answer for my question.

Maybe you guys know something on this.

Here it goes:

My band live uses a Cymatic audio utrack24 to play click and backing tracks, and also send a midi track to a DMX controller that activate our pre programmed lights.

My question is:

Imagine that I have a midi track on my DAW that setup FM3 scenes and preset changes across my songs.

Imagine I save that midi track and put it into the Cymatic audio utrack so the Cymatic send that midi signal to the FM3 on stage.

Will this work???

Thanks in advance!!

Hello.

Searched the forums but not found the answer for my question.

Maybe you guys know something on this.

Here it goes:

My band live uses a Cymatic audio utrack24 to play click and backing tracks, and also send a midi track to a DMX controller that activate our pre programmed lights.

My question is:

Imagine that I have a midi track on my DAW that setup FM3 scenes and preset changes across my songs.

Imagine I save that midi track and put it into the Cymatic audio utrack so the Cymatic send that midi signal to the FM3 on stage.

Will this work???

Thanks in advance!!

That sounds like it'd work fine.

Back
Top Bottom