Profiling. Is it in the future for the AFIII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I was a KPA owner and hanging out on the forums; you Fractal people (well, now I'm one since I got the III) would always say things like, "Uh, we already have profiling," referring to Tone Match.

And it really is; I'm not quite sure what the debate here is, honestly. The Axe profiles but with a different name (and different things going on under the hood, I guess) but the net result is the same: you now have a preset that contains the sound of the amp you like. But it's even better on the Axe because you can profile sound sources from MP3s, too!

I will agree that it needs to be WAY easier, as this guys says:
hit this button
and it goes through the process for you. The KPA sends out a bunch of tones and the Axe makes you play. I don't see why the Axe couldn't generate some tones that would better serve the algorithm's "ears" rather than me playing a random assortment of chords or notes.

In any case, I'm glad I landed at Fractal. While I did have some struggles with the Tone Match at first, I finally figured it out but overall, it's the best modeler on the market that also has the ability to profile. My 2 cents.

I know, this is a "big can of worms" topic. It has to be.

The only thing that would have ever made me consider buying a modern competing modelling amplifier instead of an AFIII would be its ability to capture a profile of any other amplifier I already have access to.

Since all Axe-FX models already can profile a speaker cabinet (IR), then I'd have to think that it should be technically feasible to give at least the AFIII the same profiling capability of the Kemper, which was released back at the dawn of history in 2012.

I'd expect that the AFIII would be orders of magnitude more capable than that first generation Kemper, but that old green brick still offers something an AF user doesn't get.

So, does anyone know, are there any plans to add profiling capability to at least the AFIII? I think I'd be asking too much to hope for it to be added to an earlier model like the AFII, but that would be a desirable bonus.

I have not YET purchased an AFIII but it's on my radar. I still think I've barely scratched the surface of what the AFII can do. But I'd be all over a III when I can spare the cost.

I think you dont fully understand what Kemper does when profiling.

What Fractal does is something completely different and extremely accurate and cant be replicated by just "profiling".

I remember when I was a KPA owner and hanging out on the forums; you Fractal people (well, now I'm one since I got the III) would always say things like, "Uh, we already have profiling," referring to Tone Match.

And it really is; I'm not quite sure what the debate here is, honestly. The Axe profiles but with a different name (and different things going on under the hood, I guess) but the net result is the same: you now have a preset that contains the sound of the amp you like. But it's even better on the Axe because you can profile sound sources from MP3s, too!

I will agree that it needs to be WAY easier, as this guys says:

and it goes through the process for you. The KPA sends out a bunch of tones and the Axe makes you play. I don't see why the Axe couldn't generate some tones that would better serve the algorithm's "ears" rather than me playing a random assortment of chords or notes.

In any case, I'm glad I landed at Fractal. While I did have some struggles with the Tone Match at first, I finally figured it out but overall, it's the best modeler on the market that also has the ability to profile. My 2 cents.
From my understanding a Tone Match is only an EQ... I don't think that's quite the same as profiling.

But I have never needed TM. There are more than enough satisfying amp models in the Axe Fx :)

So I can’t imagine someone wanting Kemper profiling functionality on an Axe. If you already have a Kemper and it rocks your world then your set. Why change if you like its tone?
Because the effects in the Axe are better.

People stating they "don't want profiling" baffles me.
Nobody is saying take features away from the AxeIII, so why is adding an additional way to get tones a bad thing?
Why is adding a new feature a bad thing?
Should Cliff not have added Tone Matching to the Axe 2? It didn't exist when the Axe 2 was released, but he added this new cool feature. How do people not see adding profiling to be another evolution of the Axe III features?

Doesn’t mean it can, or has to do everything. Purchasing unique things of quality is fun......I like fun:D
Burning another 2k for a Kemper rig is fun?
Based on this logic you should have a rack preamp and a rack of 18 effects units, all doing unique things.
Core value of the Axe is that it packs a ton of features into one box.
Sure I can have an Axe III and a Kemper, and house it in a 6 space rack with complex midi switching to have them play well together....but I'd much rather have a 3 space rack with one tool that does it all.

Let's get some profiling going on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom