Product Delay

It'd be good if Fractal or Mark Day or someone could do a FX8 comparison with something like a 5150III or Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, or a Mark V, or even a VHT Sig X like what I use if you can get one. Basically a noise floor test with a proper multi-channel high-gain head. I appreciated the Friedman example, but it's not really a typical high-gainer like these others are.

Seriously, I'll post a clip of my guitar going straight into my VHT versus going through my Boss pedals. The noise floor difference is staggering!

It'd be good if Fractal or Mark Day or someone could do a FX8 comparison with something like a 5150III or Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, or a Mark V, or even a VHT Sig X like what I use if you can get one. Basically a noise floor test with a proper multi-channel high-gain head. I appreciated the Friedman example, but it's not really a typical high-gainer like these others are.

Seriously, I'll post a clip of my guitar going straight into my VHT versus going through my Boss pedals. The noise floor difference is staggering!

Seems like it would be splitting hairs. You still have a lot of variables in the mix... Is yours or Mark's AC outlet properly grounded, what type of guitar, what type of pickups, what type of cable, length of cable, etc. Not to mention the recording rig used, what type of mic, what kind of preamp, etc.

We know that the noise is fairly minimal, everyone is going have different results depending how you use it.

Those are good points, of course. But, as long as everything else remains the same, you can still have a good idea of the noise floor of each setup. The person performing the test should be very meticulous, avoid introducing variables, and keep the cable length as short as possible during the test. It's not rocket science but it does require attention to detail. That's all.

You got us. The real reason the product has been delayed is because, uh, aliens, yeah that's it, aliens. We're being sued by aliens for patent infringement. Turns out our effects algorithms infringe upon a patent on Omicron Persei 8. So we're fighting it out in intergalactic patent appellate court. It's not going well though, they keep eating our attorneys or shrinking them with PU-36 Space Modulators.

Finally, an explanation for those lights on Ceres 8!! Jeez, NASA could have saved a lot of money and just gave Cliff a phone call man. :D

Been talking with Brad Bartosz at Best-Tronics about this. They are going to offer custom pedalboards with FX-8 and expression pedals mounted (and assuming AX-8 eventually) as a value added service with the purchase of a fractal unit once they become available. They will also be building custom cable looms to go with the boards to work within your rig. My last communication with him didn't give me any more info about availability than we've seen here, so I haven't posted about it before now. They have a few photos on their website of pedalboards they've done in the past though, and they look fantastic.
Buy with confidence from them. I've done business with them. They underpromise and over perform. The work they do is of the highest quality I've encountered.

Seems like it would be splitting hairs. You still have a lot of variables in the mix... Is yours or Mark's AC outlet properly grounded, what type of guitar, what type of pickups, what type of cable, length of cable, etc. Not to mention the recording rig used, what type of mic, what kind of preamp, etc.

We know that the noise is fairly minimal, everyone is going have different results depending how you use it.

Once it goes on sale, it's a demo that is going to be done all over the place. I'm merely hoping an aspiring beta tester will be able to do it before it goes on sale!

You got us. The real reason the product has been delayed is because, uh, aliens, yeah that's it, aliens. We're being sued by aliens for patent infringement. Turns out our effects algorithms infringe upon a patent on Omicron Persei 8. So we're fighting it out in intergalactic patent appellate court. It's not going well though, they keep eating our attorneys or shrinking them with PU-36 Space Modulators.

A guy I knew a few years ago said Hangar 18 was where they got sophisticated transistor technology (and that there's more in the wings....) I was a little surprised at this from him, given he was a bright boy and knew physics.....

Well, we'll see!!!!

This post may be a perfect and hopeful example of Observer Effect (for you science nerds), but here goes:

Well, we'll see, won't we? If we don't see these things shipping during or before the 16th of March, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for an apology. Hopefully, for more than one reason, that won't be necessary. Great companies deliver a) first quality products b) on time. Sacrificing either one for the other is the path to mediocrity. I honestly hope that for FAS' sake, whichever contractor/subcontractor was responsible for the screw up will compensate you fairly (this is none of our business certainly, just a statement). [Insert comment about using Chinese manufacturing here].

If we don't see these things shipping during or before the 16th of March, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for an apology.
I'm sorry. There. Now you don't have to wait. Good thing, too. If Caesar had gotten an apology before the 16th of March, he might have lived longer. :)

Great companies deliver a) first quality products b) on time. Sacrificing either one for the other is the path to mediocrity.
Sometimes, sacrificing one for the other is an acknowledgement of physical reality. When circumstances beyond your control cause a delay, those who don't have a ready supply of magic wands will have to wait.

Yeah I'd rather a properly finished product arrive a bit late.

Anyone see Wes Hauch get an FX8 this week?

This post may be a perfect and hopeful example of Observer Effect (for you science nerds), but here goes:

Well, we'll see, won't we? If we don't see these things shipping during or before the 16th of March, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for an apology. Hopefully, for more than one reason, that won't be necessary. Great companies deliver a) first quality products b) on time. Sacrificing either one for the other is the path to mediocrity. I honestly hope that for FAS' sake, whichever contractor/subcontractor was responsible for the screw up will compensate you fairly (this is none of our business certainly, just a statement). [Insert comment about using Chinese manufacturing here].

You are such a clever little leprechaun aren't you.

Sometimes Being Right ain't so great, but I'll take the apology anyway . . .

You are such a clever little leprechaun aren't you.

To paraphrase an excellent movie line: "It seems so in this case, now doesn't it?" Just to recap, Fractal (or at least their moderators) ridiculed my story suggesting that the delay may be more than two weeks (and also sent me a threatening email prior - an unnecessary move that isn't exactly sitting well with me). Here we are two weeks and two days later (sure, there may be some wiggle room in what they said about "shipping soon after"), but one has to wonder where the user demos, manuals (or did I miss this posting), teaser videos, etc. etc. are if this thing is going to ship imminently. I'm guessing that we would have heard from folks if they had received their "shipping email" - and so pre-apologize if they are shipping, but people are inexplicably remaining silent about it. This isn't about "trading quality for expediency" - that's not my point (as I've detailed elsewhere, a million other companies execute both on quality and efficiency), it's about delivering on promises, revised promises, and then updated revised promises. I know many folks have held off buying would-be competing products (a product would have to exist in order to have a competitor), and in some cases, sold their existing equipment rigs in reliance of FAS promies, revised promises, and then updated revised promieses. What comes after "updated revised promises"? I guess we'd call it a "hunch". So, FAS, what is your best "hunch" on when this thing will actually ship? I'm going to be sadly amused if this doesn't ship Q1.

To paraphrase an excellent movie line: "It seems so in this case, now doesn't it?" Just to recap, Fractal (or at least their moderators) ridiculed my story suggesting that the delay may be more than two weeks (and also sent me a threatening email prior - an unnecessary move that isn't exactly sitting well with me). Here we are two weeks and two days later (sure, there may be some wiggle room in what they said about "shipping soon after"), but one has to wonder where the user demos, manuals (or did I miss this posting), teaser videos, etc. etc. are if this thing is going to ship imminently. I'm guessing that we would have heard from folks if they had received their "shipping email" - and so pre-apologize if they are shipping, but people are inexplicably remaining silent about it. This isn't about "trading quality for expediency" - that's not my point (as I've detailed elsewhere, a million other companies execute both on quality and efficiency), it's about delivering on promises, revised promises, and then updated revised promises. I know many folks have held off buying would-be competing products (a product would have to exist in order to have a competitor), and in some cases, sold their existing equipment rigs in reliance of FAS promies, revised promises, and then updated revised promieses. What comes after "updated revised promises"? I guess we'd call it a "hunch". So, FAS, what is your best "hunch" on when this thing will actually ship? I'm going to be sadly amused if this doesn't ship Q1.

you're being a brat

I'm concerned that this conversation is on the verge of changing from a simple notification to another bicker-and-ban session.

People, it's ALL OK.

If you're the type who feels aggravated by other people's "issues" with your favorite brands, please try to recognize that while some people can be reasoned with about such matters, and may even respond well to a sterner type of interaction, there are in fact others for whom a company like Fractal is not the right choice. Learn to recognize and leave these people be. Do not antagonize them here.

If you're the type who brews bitterness over something like a delayed guitar product launch, you might just be better off buying something else and put your self at ease. We each need to do what's best for us. Perhaps one of the many "one-and-done" big box corporate guitar type store offerings (queue "Powerhouse" factory music by Raymond Scott). For the sake of easing into this change of course, you can say I told you that the FX8 will be launching in the year 2525 or sooner. I would also like to recommend an "excellent movie" called "The Agony and the Ecstasy" (1965).

To everyone else, be cool and hang on. I hope you'll agree with us that FX8 was worth whatever waiting. (And meanwhile, if you can spare a little extra, the Axe-Fx II XL+ makes for a killer 4CM rig -- and you get all that amp modeling capability too!)

Best,

Back
Top Bottom