Producer IRs

I've come to the conclusion that the most important thing about the AFX isn't the amp, but it's the cab and the microphone. What seperates Andy Sneap from Jens Bogren or any other producer is the cabinet, microphone position and room. You could get Gary Holt to come 'round to my joint and I'll mike him up with an SM57 just like Andy Sneap, but that doesn't mean I'll end up with a sound that will even remotely sound like Andy Sneap.

The biggest difference between Fractal IRs and any of the custom cabs is that the custom cabs are made using a different set of ears from...whoever it is that makes Fractal's cabs. Sometimes this set of ears kick ass and you get something spectacular. Sometimes that set of ears that is creating that IR sucks balls and you get something that sounds like a wet sock.

So a cab pack that I would be totally thrilled to pay for would be IRs captured by big-name producers. Andy Sneap cabs, Jens Bogren cabs and if you want me to throw money at you in huge wads, get Devin Townsend cabs going. Hell even setups from audio engineers that work with some big-name bands.

Of course there's so much stuff happening behind the scenes at Fractal that I never know what is\is not possible or what has\has not happened. But I think it'd be kickass to be able to drop in an Andy Sneap cab just to hear what it would sound like if Sneap was miking up my amp.

So a cab pack that I would be totally thrilled to pay for would be IRs captured by big-name producers. Andy Sneap cabs, Jens Bogren cabs and if you want me to throw money at you in huge wads, get Devin Townsend cabs going.

Perhaps a few years late, but you know... these things take time ;)
Thanks for the kind words, I just made a post in the 'User Cabs and IR's' forum: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/metal-producer-impulse-responses-bogren-digital.162316/

Good thing you won't have to pay through the nose for it.

I've come to the conclusion that the most important thing about the AFX isn't the amp, but it's the cab and the microphone.
Absolutely. In the "real" world I find it much more forgiving: create a good micing/blend of a cab, and most heads will sound good, although different. It's still the cab that makes the MOST difference. The same goes for IR's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom