IRs Producer Impulse Responses from major metal albums [Bogren Digital] - FREE UPDATE!

Third-party impulse response pack

Jens Bogren

Vendor
-- FREE UPDATE --
All existing customers get a free update to the pack. Please check your 'spam' folder if you missed the email.
Here's what changed:
  • Eight new rhythm IR files! (total is now 35)
  • Screenshots from Pro Tools sessions used to create the website audio demos (BTBAM, Kreator, Katatonia, Amorphis, Ihsahn, Mokoma)
  • Documentation with cab photos
  • Improved phase alignment for blending with 3rd party IR packs (MPT standard).
  • Improved file naming for loaders with small displays.
  • Improved compatibility with hardware loaders.

[Original post]

Hey guys, Jens here!

A while back, I was talked into making some impulse responses of guitar cabinets and recording chains, trying to recreate or beat a "real" recording (against better judgment...)

I'm a big advocate for real, sweaty amps and heavy cabs, but I was surprised or almost shocked to find how well the IR technology can work if done right.

Sooo... this has rendered into my first ever digital product, an "IR pack" that can replace the cab/mic part of a recording or live chain. I'll be d*mned if that doesn't sound just like something I would create in the studio on a cold winter night.

These IR's are EQ'd to match the commercial sessions I have worked on in the past, so they fit well in dense metal mixes! On my website, I have examples where I replaced the guitar tracks with an amp sim so you can hear it for yourself.

Here's the official release info:
Introducing the Jens Bogren Signature Impulse Response Pack for Heavy rhythm guitars!
These are not your grandma's Impulse Responses. Unlike most IRs on the market, this pack is designed to make your mixes come together faster than ever and make your guitars sound as if Jens engineered them.
✅
EQ'd IRs to get your mix jump-started
✅
Mic'd and mixed to fit a dense mix
✅
Designed specifically for heavy rhythm guitars
✅
Compatible with software and hardware IR loaders

From Jens Bogren, the founder and head of Fascination Street Studios and the producer behind some of the biggest acts in metal today! Sepultura, Kreator, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Devin Townsend, Paradise Lost, At The Gates, Soilwork, Moonspell, BabyMetal, Haken, Leprous, Katatonia, Stam1na, Septic Flesh and James LaBrie (Dream Theater) are just a few of the artists that have had their albums produced and/or mixed by Jens.

https://bogrendigital.com

I'd be thrilled if you check it out and let me know what you think!

And here's a user demo from Federico Ascari:

Use code METALAXE for 15 off!

Last edited:
I got these on the release day, and I must say I've never before heard a pack that is as useful straight out of the box as these.

I'm a new member so I can't post URLs until I've done 10 posts, but to see a short silly demo with rhythm and clean tones look up Punch Sector Studios on Youtube.

Yeah, tried them and found them amazing. Now part of my preproduction (coronavirus won't let me use them live ;) ), used already on one released song. The sound is really great!

Picked these up tonight and they are absolutely killer! I have no idea what cabs or mics were used and it doesn’t matter because they sound so good!

I didn’t even tweak the presets I already had. can’t imagine how good it will sound once I actually dial in my amps to fine tune it!

Absolutely killer stuff!

Picked these up tonight and they are absolutely killer! I have no idea what cabs or mics were used and it doesn’t matter because they sound so good!

I didn’t even tweak the presets I already had. can’t imagine how good it will sound once I actually dial in my amps to fine tune it!

Cheers, Ian! That was the idea - capture my audio chain and give you a tone that needs little to no tweaking to work in a mix.

After a few weeks I’m still loving these. I have some IRs from other 3rd parties that I like but these have such a different character to them, in a good way.

Sometimes I either have a sound I think is good until i through it a mix and it disappears. Without tweaking a thing a just throw one of these IR’s on and I’m there.

Other times I have a sound 95% there but can’t get it there. I’ve found experimenting with these gets me there. Something so aggressive in the upper mids without being harsh that makes it cut but also a joy to listen to.

If you ever release a second pack I’d be all over it. Thanks again!

After a few weeks I’m still loving these. I have some IRs from other 3rd parties that I like but these have such a different character to them, in a good way.

Sometimes I either have a sound I think is good until i through it a mix and it disappears. Without tweaking a thing a just throw one of these IR’s on and I’m there.

Other times I have a sound 95% there but can’t get it there. I’ve found experimenting with these gets me there. Something so aggressive in the upper mids without being harsh that makes it cut but also a joy to listen to.

If you ever release a second pack I’d be all over it. Thanks again!

Cheers, Ian! I'm hoping to create a lead + clean IR pack in the next few months, so keep an eye out.
Glad to hear the rhythm pack has been working well for you!

I really like the idea of ready mixes instead of thousand different IRs.
I have been using the ML mixes for most of my patches but I found some really nice one in this pack.

I just miss the documentation of the IR's because it's hard to know by the naming =)

I just miss the documentation of the IR's because it's hard to know by the naming =)

Yes, yes... I am guilty of being behind on that. If it helps, it's mostly an oversized Mesa 4x12 with a blend of U67, SM57, Royer 121, and an SM7b. After that the signal went through my analog chain to sum the mics and add EQ, all in the context of real-life mix sessions.

From Jens Bogren, the founder and head of Fascination Street Studios and the producer behind some of the biggest acts in metal today! Sepultura, Kreator, Dimmu Borgir, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Devin Townsend, Paradise Lost, At The Gates, Soilwork, Moonspell, BabyMetal, Haken, Leprous, Katatonia, Stam1na, Septic Flesh and James LaBrie (Dream Theater) are just a few of the artists that have had their albums produced and/or mixed by Jens.

Hi Jens,

I'm a huge fan of Babymetal, specifically Takayoshi Ohmura, Leda, and the late great Mikio Fujioka. What exactly did you mix on their record(s) and are any of the IR's based on the tones used in Metal Resistance? I know they usually use Kemper's, but I'm an Axe user and would like to create a solid preset to play over their tracks.

Best,

Yes, yes... I am guilty of being behind on that. If it helps, it's mostly an oversized Mesa 4x12 with a blend of U67, SM57, Royer 121, and an SM7b. After that the signal went through my analog chain to sum the mics and add EQ, all in the context of real-life mix sessions.

Hey Jens, was looking for some information on the cabs in the IR pack. Does this mean that most of the IRs in the pack are the Mesa Oversized 4x12, with the variables between the IRs being the mic combinations and EQ?

Just picked up the new pack. Wondering if Jens or another user has a good starting point suggestion from either pack for the Opeth Ghost Reveries type tone. Obviously a lot more to it than the IR, but it would be cool to have some recommendation for what might be the best starting point.

Thanks.

Bought your Rhythm, Lead, and Clean packs. I've got a lot of great IR's but these are sounding phenomenal! Brilliant work my friend!

Just picked up the new pack. Wondering if Jens or another user has a good starting point suggestion from either pack for the Opeth Ghost Reveries type tone. Obviously a lot more to it than the IR, but it would be cool to have some recommendation for what might be the best starting point.

Thanks.
We released a free update to the rhythm IR pack a few weeks ago and I added some new IRs. You might find both the rhythm and lead pack have some very interesting names... ;)

Hey Jens, was looking for some information on the cabs in the IR pack. Does this mean that most of the IRs in the pack are the Mesa Oversized 4x12, with the variables between the IRs being the mic combinations and EQ?
It's not just the Oversized but that's a beast of a cab for metal tones, so most of the tones are from it. What will differ is mics, mic blends, and EQ. Plenty of variations to find something that will work in your scenario, I hope.

The free rhythm pack update now comes with documentation and cab info too, if you haven't had a chance to check that out yet.

Just got these myself, largely thanks to Euge Valovirta kicking them so often in his demos. So far, so good!
Excited to get to know them.

Back
Top Bottom