IRs Producer Impulse Responses from major metal albums [Bogren Digital] - FREE UPDATE!

Third-party impulse response pack
Have all 3 IR packs Borgen digital has released. Only had them for a few days.

That said, some observations so far: very scooped tones in the rhythm pack compared to what I'm used to. Actually a nice change. Then there seems to be some high-end that is fatiguing to my ear when jamming solo. I had to stop for a while due to IR headache! Last time I've had that was when playing through some direct guitar tones, without cab, for some testing, for prolonged periods of time.

But now that I use some of these IRs in a track -- reamped some tones -- the results are interesting. Even lacking mids (compared to the IR of many others, and some I've shot) these seem to cut incredibly so. I've never seen IRs that cut this much considering the perceived lack of mid-emphasis. That's a new thing for me. Absolutely (and mind you, I'm no audio engineer or producer).

Not so sure how useful these will be to me personally. I really have to see when it comes to recordings (which is what they are intended for anyway). But they've gotten me to reconsider things.

When a tree falls does it make a sound? Well, if Bogren pushed it, it sure hella does. No question. My background is in philosophy, and I finally have the answer to that question. The tree may not make a sound if the wind brings it down; but look out for Bogren in the woods. That'll change things fast. And chances are it won't be 1 tree, but the forest coming down itself!!

Last edited:
Have all 3 IR packs Borgen digital has released. Only had them for a few days.

That said, some observations so far: very scooped tones in the rhythm pack compared to what I'm used to. Actually a nice change. Then there seems to be some high-end that is fatiguing to my ear when jamming solo. I had to stop for a while due to IR headache! Last time I've had that was when playing through some direct guitar tones, without cab, for some testing, for prolonged periods of time.

But now that I use some of these IRs in a track -- reamped some tones -- the results are interesting. Even lacking mids (compared to the IR of many others, and some I've shot) these seem to cut incredibly so. I've never seen IRs that cut this much considering the perceived lack of mid-emphasis. That's a new thing for me. Absolutely (and mind you, I'm no audio engineer or producer).

Not so sure how useful these will be to me personally. I really have to see when it comes to recordings (which is what they are intended for anyway). But they've gotten me to reconsider things.

When a tree falls does it make a sound? Well, if Bogren pushed it, it sure hella does. No question. My background is in philosophy, and I finally have the answer to that question. The tree may not make a sound if the wind brings it down; but look out for Bogren in the woods. That'll change things fast. And chances are it won't be 1 tree, but the forest coming down itself!!

What you're hearing is the whole concept behind Bogren Digital IRs, in my experience. As a semi-professional mix engineer, I can hear exactly what's going on here too -- it's about choosing and picking exactly what specific mid frequency regions you want in a heavy 'Bogrenesque' rhythm guitar sound. The notion of 'mids' that most guitar players have is basically the entire universe between say 250 Hz and 4 - 5 kHz. There's a LOT of space and information in there. some great for a heavy rhythm sound within a mix, some not so great. Even 'low mids' and 'high mids' doesn't come close to describing the range of this space.

What Bogren's done is sculpt out the specific areas within the mids that tend to be cloudy in a mix and mask other important elements (like the snare drum ring and body, or the vocal fundamentals), and turning the shine on the specific areas responsible for heavy rhythm guitars cutting through a dense mix instead. So yes, they are 'scooped' in some specific areas of the midrange, and not scooped at all in certain other areas.

Back
Top Bottom