Producer Cab Pack 1: Wellspring Sound

...wrong is, that you can not pay through paypal but only via credit card... Payment can be dangerous ... :D

not quite sure the best way to word my question but - do the cab parameters such as spkr size, proximity, room level, size, motor drive, air etc still work in the same way with V10's new cab IR's or are they intended to be simple plug n play. I know some would reply if it sounds good use it, obviously. But for example, in the real world you wouldn't take a 4x12 mic'd with a 121 then reamp it using a U87. Am I making sense? So do the cab parameters still affect the new IR's in the same way?

not quite sure the best way to word my question but - do the cab parameters such as spkr size, proximity, room level, size, motor drive, air etc still work in the same way with V10's new cab IR's or are they intended to be simple plug n play. I know some would reply if it sounds good use it, obviously. But for example, in the real world you wouldn't take a 4x12 mic'd with a 121 then reamp it using a U87. Am I making sense? So do the cab parameters still affect the new IR's in the same way?

I seem to recall seeing a video online or reading a post on the forum reminding us to turn off the Mic's setting if we are using one of the new MIX cabs in v10 because it already has mic colorization in it.

Not sure about what to do with the other settings. That is one of my frustrations about having a "template" preset. When I scroll through the amps and cabs, I'd really like for them to start out in the "manufacturer's recommended" default settings, and I can tweak them from there. Especially Cabinets - I don't want to sabotage their designed and intended "awesome sound right out of the box" by having old Motor Drive and room settings....I'd like to start out with their setttings first and make changes only if I really think it needs it.

I seem to recall seeing a video online or reading a post on the forum reminding us to turn off the Mic's setting if we are using one of the new MIX cabs in v10 because it already has mic colorization in it.

Not sure about what to do with the other settings. That is one of my frustrations about having a "template" preset. When I scroll through the amps and cabs, I'd really like for them to start out in the "manufacturer's recommended" default settings, and I can tweak them from there. Especially Cabinets - I don't want to sabotage their designed and intended "awesome sound right out of the box" by having old Motor Drive and room settings....I'd like to start out with their setttings first and make changes only if I really think it needs it.

I'm very very interested by the reply ;)
because i just bought the pack,and I wonder what to do with the settings! ;)

I'm very very interested by the reply ;)
because i just bought the pack,and I wonder what to do with the settings! ;)

I always audition the cab IR's with no mic to start with. I pick the IR for the base tone with the amp block set to default too.

I think of the cab block virtual mic's like EQ. It's okay to apply them to any IR if the result is getting your sound where you want it.

My current workflow is to leave the mic set to no mic. Pick the IR that is closest to the tone I'm dialing in and then use the Basic amp block controls from there.

CAB (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Stock cabs:

• The "old" FAS (Fractal) cabs: recorded with a neutral mic. Leave Mic Sim. off, if you don't want mic coloring. It'll still be a close-mic'd tone! Switch on Mic Sim. if you want the specific tone of a microphone added.
  • Red Wirez (RW): see above. Or instead of using Mic Sim., buy a Red Wirez pakage and use an IR with that mic already "baked in".
  • OwnHammer (OH): these stock cabs already have mics "baked in". No need for added mic sims. If you want other mics / mixes, buy an OwnHammer package.
  • Kalthammer: these stock cabs already have mics "baked in". No need for added mic sims.
  • Mix (Producer Pack) cabs: these stock cabs are a mix of several mics. So no need for added mic sim. Buy Pack 1 if you want the IRs with just one mic and other variations.

If you don't use the built-in Mic Simulation in the Cab block, the Proximity parameter will have no effect.

To make it clearer for newer guys...

Back in the olden days (2007-8?) Fractal had a different concept for IRs. The idea was to separate the mic from the cab, so you could pick a cab first and then choose the mic you liked later. To implement this, Cliff used a calibrated flat reference mic (Earthworks) to capture cab IRs as transparently as possible. Then he captured some common mics, and designed the UI so you could choose a 'mic type' to add over top of the cab IR (transparent EW capture). So if you chose the original Cali 4x12 (EW capture) and used the sm57 mic type, the result was pretty close to what you'd expect with physical cab and mic.

This made good logical sense back then, but it gets confusing now since all the new stock IRs have the 'color' mics baked in, and all the user cabs (3rd-party, producer packs, RW and OH) all have the mics baked in too. Today, it would make sense to remove the 'mic type' options completely to keep it simple. But we all know how hard it is to take anything away from Axe-Fx users. There'd be a huge backlash :)

I bought and think these sound great; I have only tried a few, but find they have less bottom end than the stock mixed versions, which is going to be great for recording.

What happens when there is a new firmware update?

Would they sound the same or would they sound completely different? Think firmware 9 to 10 difference...

To make it clearer for newer guys...

Back in the olden days (2007-8?) Fractal had a different concept for IRs. The idea was to separate the mic from the cab, so you could pick a cab first and then choose the mic you liked later. To implement this, Cliff used a calibrated flat reference mic (Earthworks) to capture cab IRs as transparently as possible. Then he captured some common mics, and designed the UI so you could choose a 'mic type' to add over top of the cab IR (transparent EW capture). So if you chose the original Cali 4x12 (EW capture) and used the sm57 mic type, the result was pretty close to what you'd expect with physical cab and mic.

This made good logical sense back then, but it gets confusing now since all the new stock IRs have the 'color' mics baked in, and all the user cabs (3rd-party, producer packs, RW and OH) all have the mics baked in too. Today, it would make sense to remove the 'mic type' options completely to keep it simple. But we all know how hard it is to take anything away from Axe-Fx users. There'd be a huge backlash :)

as long as they are marked as "mix" IR's it's fine. you have a way of knowing what's what. and yes, i'd hate to lose the option of neutral cab IR's w/multiple mic options. the mix IR's are certainly convenient and sound great but the "old way" is more versatile leaving options for personal tastes.

What happens when there is a new firmware update?

Would they sound the same or would they sound completely different? Think firmware 9 to 10 difference...

Typically the format of the IR itself doesn't change so the IR part of the preset is essentially the same.

But the IR is loaded into the CAB block. The implementation of the CAB is subject to change along with the implementation of a ton of other stuff that affects the way presets sound.

Back
Top Bottom