Prodigy picks

Project Mayhem

Experienced
Anyone try these yet?

Picked up some of the 2.0mm ones the other day and really dig them. First pick in ages to get the Jazz III out of my hand for a while. They do wear rather quickly though.

i just got some, the 1.5 and 2.0.

i currently use Jazz III XL black picks. used them forever and any other pick just feels so foreign to me.

the Prodigy feel very "sharp" to me, the tip/point i mean. it's very precise. i honestly don't feel too much difference between the 2 sizes, as they are both quite "hard." the tone is much brighter than the Jazz III black material, so that would require some adjustments to my presets, or i'd use them if i really need more treble from my guitar.

but the tip being so thin is a problem for me, especially for strumming. for special purposes i could use it, or i guess i could eventually adjust to it. but it's just a really sharp tip, which i know some might like. they are EXPENSIVE though.

I went from Jazz III XL to JP jazz signature, but more recently got both prodigy and JP flow picks :
-The JP flow are incredibly gliding through strings, I love them, only drawback they wear fast to me
-The prodigy are in theory perfectly shaped, but in the end as soon as I don't play single notes, they are just too pointy and it feels awkard strumming

Here the same with the flow picks, they glide really comfortable, but wear pretty fast, and chirp on faster runs on the unwound strings.

Is there anything you can do about the chirp, or is it just bad technique?

I use Blue Chip or Gravity Gold. They seem to work the best for me. They are very pricy but I don't lose picks so they re worth the investment. Far less chirp than the acrylic picks.

I wish there was but I'm pretty sure it's a combination of the material and the thickness. I've yet to find a thick pick that doesn't chirp.
Try ChickenPicks. $10 per pick but for one who's usually a cheap so-and-so, I've found exactly the pick for me. Way less chirp and super comfortable, very hard material. I use the Shredder 3.0 and Baddazz 2.5, the dimensions are larger than a Jazz III but the way they're shaped make them feel a bit smaller. Definitely worth it.

I use Blue Chip or Gravity Gold. They seem to work the best for me. They are very pricy but I don't lose picks so they re worth the investment. Far less chirp than the acrylic picks.
So tell us , wise one, just how does one not lose picks?!

I'll chirp in here - I used to lose picks every week, kept them in my front pocket with keys and such. Since buying the ChickenPicks, I've noticed that spending that amount per pick will make you much more conscious about them. It's a toss up between knowing where the picks are and where the kids are.

They now reside in my back pocket and after a gig, they go on my dresser. I do have a couple of "cheap" picks in my front pocket if I drop a pick, something that has not happened since going to the CP's BTW. Of course there's the couple on my desk in the music room, but they don't get used at gigs.

Step 1. Work to develop a brutally manly physique. (See step 3)
Step 2. Purchase obscenely expensive picks.
Step 3. Purchase a small man purse.
Step 4. Place the obscenely expensive picks in said man purse.
Step 5. Place man purse in pants pocket.
Step 6. At gig, remove man purse from pocket, open said purse and remove exactly 2 picks, then return said purse to pocket.
Step 7. Play gig.
Step 8. After 3rd encore return picks to purse.

Step 6. At gig, remove man purse from pocket, open said purse and remove exactly 2 picks, then return said purse to pocket.
Step 7. Play gig.
....Step 7b. DON'T throw picks into the crowd.

i just got some, the 1.5 and 2.0.

i currently use Jazz III XL black picks. used them forever and any other pick just feels so foreign to me.

the Prodigy feel very "sharp" to me, the tip/point i mean. it's very precise. i honestly don't feel too much difference between the 2 sizes, as they are both quite "hard." the tone is much brighter than the Jazz III black material, so that would require some adjustments to my presets, or i'd use them if i really need more treble from my guitar.

but the tip being so thin is a problem for me, especially for strumming. for special purposes i could use it, or i guess i could eventually adjust to it. but it's just a really sharp tip, which i know some might like. they are EXPENSIVE though.

Agreed, they are very sharp, and strumming is an issue, which is why the JazzIII will still be the go for playing. But that sharp tip makes for great picking training for me, almost like the stylus picks of yore, as it make me very aware of pick depth.

....Step 7b. DON'T throw picks into the crowd.
Amen brother. You might do that once but after it occurs to you that you just tossed a $75 dollar pick to the gyrating masses, that feeling is so depressing, y’all ain’t going to do it again. And technically you didn’t “lose” it. You willingly threw it away. Step 1 is critical here if you decide you want your pick back. Just sayin.

Step 7. Play gig.

Damn, I’ve failed at step 1 already!! :confused:

Back
Top Bottom