Prodigy Breathe Effect?

i reckon the ring mod and maybe a formant filter would be a great place to start.

i was jamming with a tabla player yesterday and we ended up micing him up and running his signal into the axe. would you believe it? axe fx for tabla? while he was playing i was just mucking around with different effects etc, (as i do). we got some interesting sounds using the ring mod with the tracking set to "on". for percussive like sounds we were able to get something slightly akin to what you are trying to get. i would say use the formant filter in a static mode (not modulating) and just find a vowel that works for you. love to hear your progress.

Thanx for the infos. The James bond thing is interesting :). i will try the ring mod and format filter as soon as possible with your suggested settings.

Cheers
Phill

Haha. I'm looking for the very same sound, as my band's about to start rehearsing this. I'm currently using a wah block with an envelope controller but it's not really there yet. I was aware of the origin of the sample and have been assuming that a Gretsch would be the best guitar to play it on. As it stands I'm using my Tele. What are you doing about the tuning? I'm getting round it by using a pitch block to drop the tuning by a semitone during this riff (which goes down to the open Eb) and then bypassing the pitch block for the other parts of the song (notably the "acoustic" bridge section which uses a low D drone).

:) Same with me. We are just thinking about playing this song and i just wanted to check wether the effects are possible. Haven't get to the point of tuning.

So, how'd it go?
I'm a total newbie when it comes to synths, but I actually managed to edit the Bond theme so it became the "Breathe" riff.
(01_Bondchop.wav)

In the end, I ended up just using the first two notes, somewhat rearranged in the middle of the riff (02_Vocoder1_clean.wav)
and feeding it through a vocoder playing the correct notes (03_Vocoder1.wav)
(along with some other effects like gate, harmonics, distortion, etc).

I then copied the track and created a backbeat (04_Vocoder2_clean.wav),
which I fed through another vocoder, playing a paralell major third 2 octaves up (05_Vocoder2.wav).

Finally, I added a synth (06_Bassynth_clean.wav)
and added some effects there as well (07_Bassynth.wav).

The final result was not perfect, but it sounded somewhat similar. (08_Allthree.wav)

It would be cool to finally crack this. I'm even thinking about creating a guitar pedal for it if I ever figure out. :)

Attachments

• BreatheRiff.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
Here's another take using Serum. I wish I could attach the preset and midi, but I can't find the option to add attachments:

Back
Top Bottom