Problems with signal pause during scene change - only on left side

Rekster

Experienced
I'm having a strange issue that I'm hoping someone can help with.

I run amp/cab blocks in stereo and I have a preset with two scenes. The first scene is dry and the second scene is simply adding chorus/delay/reverb. The second row has every block panned hard left (except In1,Wah,Out1), and the fourth row has the same blocks panned hard right. You will see the layout in my screenshot.

My problem is, there's a very noticeable hiccup in my output when changing scenes - but only on the left side, not the right. I need the transition to sound seamless as I let a chord ring out between the two scenes.

I'll attach a few screenshots - one of my Axe-Edit layout and the second of the waveforms in Logic. I'm switching scenes numerous times in the recording to show you how drastic it is. As you will see, there's gaps in the waveform, but only on the left side. The right side is smooth without interruption.

I'd really appreciate some help diagnosing this.

Thanks.

Attachments

• daw.png
    daw.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Scene 3.png
    Scene 3.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Scene 2.png
    Scene 2.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Disregard, something must have changed between the scenes. Not sure how though, I haven't made any changes. In any case, I copied Scene1 to both Scene2 and 3 and then changed which blocks are enabled on each one and the issue is gone now. All my presets are doing the same thing for some reason, had to do the same thing on each preset to resolve the problem. Very strange.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know this... But you're in the CPU danger zone.

You might be able to drop it a smidge by using less shunts because they do use a small amount of CPU (assuming the III is like the II).

You could move your Output blocks to the right to reduce shunt usage.

I'm sure you know this... But you're in the CPU danger zone.

You might be able to drop it a smidge by using less shunts because they do use a small amount of CPU (assuming the III is like the II).

You could move your Output blocks to the right to reduce shunt usage.

I did notice the CPU usage but I have no choice.. I find it surprisingly high considering I don't think I'm doing anything overly crazy with my signal path. It does have me concerned though, if they decide to add the third amp block I can only imagine what that will do to my CPU usage. What happens with people running entire bands through the Axe FX? How can the CPU possibly handle that?

Thanks for the heads up on shunt usage, I assumed they wouldn't use any CPU. I'll have to clean up my presets a little, I'm still in the setup stage and testing things out. :)

I did notice the CPU usage but I have no choice.. I find it surprisingly high considering I don't think I'm doing anything overly crazy with my signal path. It does have me concerned though, if they decide to add the third amp block I can only imagine what that will do to my CPU usage. What happens with people running entire bands through the Axe FX? How can the CPU possibly handle that?

Thanks for the heads up on shunt usage, I assumed they wouldn't use any CPU. I'll have to clean up my presets a little, I'm still in the setup stage and testing things out. :)
2 Reverb blocks use a lot of CPU. If they are both at high quality with echo density set to 8, they are using the most CPU possible as well. Try normal quality - Fractal “normal” is really high. High is even higher.

Also if your cab blocks are using multiple IRs each, those take a good amount of CPU as well.

The presets I’m using can easily handle another amp block or two.

Simply having it available shouldn’t limit your available cpu.

I might be wrong and you might know what you are doing but just in case you are new to Axe FX and building your first presets, write what you are trying to achieve plz. As i said i might be wrong but i have a strong feeling you might be understanding some stuff not as they are intended and using unnecessary doubles of blocks.

you can copy In 1 to Out 4 globally, not needing that line of shunts on the bottom.

you can combine both amp blocks to the top row chorus, delay, reverb, cab as well.

Thanks everyone for your advice. My initial post actually had to do with a problem unrelated to CPU usage - I was having audio glitches when changing scenes (on one side only). I resolved it by recopying my scenes. However, I'm happy to find better ways to do things and appreciate the input!

To answer your questions and explain what I'm trying to accomplish:

I want one amp tone on the left side and the other on the right but want to use stereo effects. I don't want the amp tones blended together into each side though, I want them independent of each other. I found when I was using multiple amp blocks into a single row of effects it seemed to be blending my two amp tones together on both sides. Perhaps I was missing something with this? In any case I just doubled up the effects and kept them all panned either hard left and right which seemed to keep my tones separated.

Chris - that Out 4 is an unprocessed signal running into some external pedals (POG, comp, EQ) that are going to my bass amp. I'll look into what you are saying about that global setting to eliminate that last row. Eventually I might actually use that row if I can eliminate those pedals. I was experimenting with Pitch Block etc.. to eliminate my POG but wasn't getting the results I wanted so I'm continuing to use my pedals for now.

And yes I have 4 IRs on the first cab block and 2 on the second so that might explain some of the CPU usage. As for the reverb quality, it's at whatever the default is. Does lowering it affect the quality of sound very much? Is it safe to assume that it's best to keep it at max quality when recording, but for live it can be lowered?

Does lowering it affect the quality of sound very much? Is it safe to assume that it's best to keep it at max quality when recording, but for live it can be lowered?
i personally use it on the lowest quality settings (normal, echo density 2) on my AX8 and Axe-Fx II, and i get compliments on the reverb sound by those who notice it.

as with anything, if you consciously try to find the differences, you will hear them. if you are also thinking "this is lower quality, it must sound bad" then it will probably sound bad to you.

for the Copy In 1 to Out 4, it's in the Setup menu, I/O or audio settings menu (i'm not at the gear right now).

if you are hard panning the signals it means actually you are not using the cab block as stereo. So you dont need 4 IRs (even 2) in the cab block. Make a mix of those IRs in Cab Lab if you have it, and use a single IR.

If you don't have CabLab than you can try finding a single IR in the box sounding close to your 4 IR mix.

Back
Top Bottom