Problems with midi footswitch

I have news... I dowgraded to the FW 11.01 and the FCB1010 works fine. There is a problem in the FW 11.03. I will write to cliff, but maybe he read this thread.

My axe is not break, my cables are not break, my fcb is not break... and after the downgrade... fuck, WHITE AND IN A BOTTLE, UH?

odd indeed. My AF w/ FW11.03 & FCB w/ UnO chip is working fine. Both expression pedals working and flashing MIDI indicator.

Are you using a FCB editor that has a MIDI watch window that shows what data is being sent for your expression pedals? Perhaps the expression pedals are sending extra data that is causing the AF to ignore the stream. (just a guess)

FCB with UnO working fine with 11.03 here.

Do you have a midi interface for your computer? Or a soundcard with midi? One of those $6 interfaces from Ebay? The ugly ones work.
Hook them up, install Bome's SendSX, select the midi interface and press some buttons on the FCB.

Whatever is, the point is that it doesn't work with the 11.03 so... why buy a soundcard with midi? I think I will have to sell the FCB :p

Did you try to re-load fw 11.03 to see if the problem persists?

A lot of us are reporting no issues with fw 11.03 and the FCB1010, so your issue seems to be a relatively unique one, not an "across the board" bug with fw 11.03. Do you disagree?

Did you try to re-load fw 11.03 to see if the problem persists?

A lot of us are reporting no issues with fw 11.03 and the FCB1010, so your issue seems to be a relatively unique one, not an "across the board" bug with fw 11.03. Do you disagree?

Im gonna try again, of course.

Fenris, now that 11.04 is out, maybe try loading that firmware to see if the problem is solved. I loaded 11.04 and no issues with my stock FCB1010.

Yes, I was hoping that too. unfortunately, no luck. No Midi in signal...But worked fine with version 11.01 for me also...I am puzzled that what is it makes later version not to work....

Any help would be appreciated!

Yes, I was hoping that too. unfortunately, no luck. No Midi in signal...But worked fine with version 11.01 for me also...I am puzzled that what is it makes later version not to work....

Any help would be appreciated!

well, these are the possibilities:

- FCB1010 is faulty (test this by plugging into and controlling other MIDI gear)
- the AxeFx (firmware) is faulty (test this by using another MIDI device to control the AxeFx)
- neither are faulty and there is some sort of programming or user error hiding within either unit
- both are faulty

Without getting into deeper technical stuff, this is pretty much all it boils down to. Now, if you want to use your computer and Bome's MIDI translator software, you could discover and exactly emulate the MIDI data string being sent from your FCB1010 using software, and spit that out to your AxeFxII using a usb-to-MIDI adapter, and see what happens. This isn't rocket science to figure out, but a good understanding of MIDI spec certainly helps. You can also use a program like Bome's to create simple, clean, MIDI commands (like patch change) to test connectivity to the AxeFx. [edit: Bome's Send SX will also work: Bome's Send SX - Bome Software - Freeware for sending and receiving any MIDI messages ]

Again, the simplest way to get a bearing on the problem is to just get your hands on some other MIDI gear (footpedal controller and rack processor) and do some comparative testing to see what gives. This is a strange problem. Since you can get 11.01 to work, it does seem to indicate something lurking in the the new firmware that doesn't agree with your FCB1010. My FCB is working fine, so I can't really shed any light on the problem. Possible you have corrupt firmware? Have you tried to re-download new firmware? Have you tried multiple times to install the firmware? These are shots in the dark. Would be nice if someone on the FAS tech staff could weigh in on this.

As I said, the FCB is not break. It works with anything and with the AFII FW11.01 or older. I told that to Cliff but he said that there is no enough people with that problem. There is people with a FCB without that problem so the problem is our FCB.

BUT, I think that the problem is in the changes made in the midi functions for the Axe Edit 3.0. Maybe the midi messages that my FCB sends to the axe are not well interpreted. I don't know. The only thing I know is that nobody will help us to know what is happend.

I only can sell my FCB1010 and buy another midi footswitch OR use the FW 11.01.

well, these are the possibilities:

- FCB1010 is faulty (test this by plugging into and controlling other MIDI gear)
- the AxeFx (firmware) is faulty (test this by using another MIDI device to control the AxeFx)
- neither are faulty and there is some sort of programming or user error hiding within either unit
- both are faulty

Without getting into deeper technical stuff, this is pretty much all it boils down to. Now, if you want to use your computer and Bome's MIDI translator software, you could discover and exactly emulate the MIDI data string being sent from your FCB1010 using software, and spit that out to your AxeFxII using a usb-to-MIDI adapter, and see what happens. This isn't rocket science to figure out, but a good understanding of MIDI spec certainly helps. You can also use a program like Bome's to create simple, clean, MIDI commands (like patch change) to test connectivity to the AxeFx. [edit: Bome's Send SX will also work: Bome's Send SX - Bome Software - Freeware for sending and receiving any MIDI messages ]

Again, the simplest way to get a bearing on the problem is to just get your hands on some other MIDI gear (footpedal controller and rack processor) and do some comparative testing to see what gives. This is a strange problem. Since you can get 11.01 to work, it does seem to indicate something lurking in the the new firmware that doesn't agree with your FCB1010. My FCB is working fine, so I can't really shed any light on the problem. Possible you have corrupt firmware? Have you tried to re-download new firmware? Have you tried multiple times to install the firmware? These are shots in the dark. Would be nice if someone on the FAS tech staff could weigh in on this.

Thanks for your help. I have to do some more tests but I am really really really sure that the FCB1010 is working perfectly. I don't have so much time but if I do something else I will tell here.
I tested it with a POD XT and it works fine.

Thanks for your help. I have to do some more tests but I am really really really sure that the FCB1010 is working perfectly. I don't have so much time but if I do something else I will tell here.
I tested it with a POD XT and it works fine.

FWIW, I do not use current AxEdit (or any version of AxEdit) at the moment, and have had no problems with the FCB1010 transmitting MIDI to the AxeFxII. Could be that the AxeFx may have been fouled by some sort of sysex in the back/forth stream when using AxEdit, that causes the FCB1010 to not work properly? Have you ever used AxEdit connected to AxeFx via USB, and with the FCB1010 attached at the same time?

Because of things like this, I (generally) give major changes to software/firmware a few months to "cook" so that the bugs are mostly worked out...but that's just me. I don't rely on AxEdit and am perfectly happy with front panel editing.

FWIW, I do not use current AxEdit (or any version of AxEdit) at the moment, and have had no problems with the FCB1010 transmitting MIDI to the AxeFxII. Could be that the AxeFx may have been fouled by some sort of sysex in the back/forth stream when using AxEdit, that causes the FCB1010 to not work properly? Have you ever used AxEdit connected to AxeFx via USB, and with the FCB1010 attached at the same time? Yes

Because of things like this, I (generally) give major changes to software/firmware a few months to "cook" so that the bugs are mostly worked out...but that's just me. I don't rely on AxEdit and am perfectly happy with front panel editing.

I used the Axe Edit and the FCB1010 togheter with the FW11.01 but it didn't work with FW11.03. Even without Axe Edit it didn't work.

Se we will have to call Mulder and Scully... The truth is inside that xD

To end the topic. My FCB1010 works with the LAST FW 11.05, so I think there was a mistake in the 11.03. @sevenstring, try to update and connect everything, take on the FCB and after that the Axe. I did it just now and it works.

Strange.

This is what I do for MIDI debugging...

1) If you don't already have a MIDI interface for your computer, buy a cheap MIDI <-> USB adapter ($6 on ebay etc)
2) Get a midi monitor like MidiOX (windows).
3) Plug your controller into midi ports of computer
4) Run Midi monitor and check what it's sending over it's port

That wasnt the point. The point was that the FCB worked well with one FW and not with another... The midi messages were the same always.

Back
Top Bottom