problems with factory presets

no i tried to put it off to see how it sounded with it off, thats when i saw its clipping a lot, kinda like the poweramp simulation part get a signal that is way to hot, so when its on like i allways have it sound bad,

all settings is at the factory reset in utilities, because ive pressed reset there like 10 times now..

Okay, I misread your post.

Is it just factory presets? Does this also happen when you create a preset from scratch, using an Amp and Cab that you know well?

I found the fw10 presets to be v v bright in general through both mackie mr2 monitors & a matrix & evm's (cab mod off for that of course).
If I roll back the guitar tone most sound great but I hv to roll it back a heck of a lot. Using a rasmus GG & an Anderson pro-am - both sound v v bright even at low volume.
I've reset the axe & re-loaded the presets using axe edit but all's the same.
Not a great problem but I was just surprised that nearly all were v bright.
Any thoughts on it? I've checked eq's etc etc. On hol now so can't do anything now but I was v curious about it.
Thx.

Thanks for this post. I have the same problem. I received my unit about 4 weeks ago and I'm disappointed. Especially after hearing all the great tones on line and the excellent comments. I know it's not supposed to sound like this but I'm just learning how to make adjustments and it's very frustrating. I'm bummed out over this. Right out of the box and it sounds terrible.

Sometimes the best thing is to ask around if there's another Axe-Fx user in your neighbourhood.
Get together and check things.

Sometimes the best thing is to ask around if there's another Axe-Fx user in your neighbourhood.
Get together and check things.

i think its fixed now, reinstalled everything a 3rd time, reloaded presets etc, now it doesnt clip if i test with the power amp sim off and 90% of the factory presets i tried sounded good, some just not my taste

i think its fixed now, reinstalled everything a 3rd time, reloaded presets etc, now it doesnt clip if i test with the power amp sim off and 90% of the factory presets i tried sounded good, some just not my taste
What else did you do differently? If you share that with other users, they may not have to post here and repeat the same question. If it all works now, you HAD to have done something else, otherwise you'd still have the same problem...

Just for the sake of some perspective... that's pretty much exactly how my guitar sounds through the Badger 18 factory preset (#68). I have v10 and v10 presets loaded. The vast majority of them sound fantastic... and get even better with minor amp style tweaks (in other words, I'm not delving into any advanced parameters).

That's just the nature of the beast. Not all presets are going to sound good on your guitar/pickups. I use very hot passive and active pickups and tickle the reds at about 42%. I know that v10 is fantastic because it takes me no time at all to get amazing, amp realistic tones from scratch... but, again for the sake of perspective, when I dial up that Badger 18 preset it sounds almost identical to the clip you posted and only sounds 'better' when I drop the input trim (in the amp block) by at least half.

I can only assume that my guitar/pickups are simply driving the pre-amp too hard on that particular preset and adjust accordingly. If I use the presets on either side of the Badger 18 one (Brit 800 Mod and Brit Pre... #'s 69 and 67), they absolutely rip with no adjustments and sound as I would expect them to sound. Do yours?

Edit: I don't know why there's a little sun glasses wearing 'smiley' in the post. It's supposed to be a number 8 and a closed bracket.

What else did you do differently? If you share that with other users, they may not have to post here and repeat the same question. If it all works now, you HAD to have done something else, otherwise you'd still have the same problem...

+1

Just for the sake of some perspective... that's pretty much exactly how my guitar sounds through the Badger 18 factory preset (#68). I have v10 and v10 presets loaded. The vast majority of them sound fantastic... and get even better with minor amp style tweaks (in other words, I'm not delving into any advanced parameters).

That's just the nature of the beast. Not all presets are going to sound good on your guitar/pickups. I use very hot passive and active pickups and tickle the reds at about 42%. I know that v10 is fantastic because it takes me no time at all to get amazing, amp realistic tones from scratch... but, again for the sake of perspective, when I dial up that Badger 18 preset it sounds almost identical to the clip you posted and only sounds 'better' when I drop the input trim (in the amp block) by at least half.

I can only assume that my guitar/pickups are simply driving the pre-amp too hard on that particular preset and adjust accordingly. If I use the presets on either side of the Badger 18 one (Brit 800 Mod and Brit Pre... #'s 69 and 67), they absolutely rip with no adjustments and sound as I would expect them to sound. Do yours?

Edit: I don't know why there's a little sun glasses wearing 'smiley' in the post. It's supposed to be a number 8 and a closed bracket.

My thoughts also, this is exactly happening here. Just to demonstrate this particular case I have also attached couple of samples, first one is the untouched preset (behaving pretty much the same as in the OP's case), the second one is a tweaked one for a SRV vibe :)

Here is a tasty little Badger. Ride your volume knob for different flavors and engage full volume and a humbucker for a liquid lead.

Attachments

• Badger.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 28

the clean install backup syx didnt remove user cabs the first time like it should, second time it did, so maby was some error first, thats the only different thing from the first reinstall, also used fractal bot now instead of sysex librarian

My thoughts also, this is exactly happening here. Just to demonstrate this particular case I have also attached couple of samples, first one is the untouched preset (behaving pretty much the same as in the OP's case), the second one is a tweaked one for a SRV vibe :)

this does not have the problem thats in my clip :) now when mine is fixed #68 sounds good as it should

It happened to me also when I was installing FW10 and FW9 to compare them (did it at least 50 times). Several times I had to re-reupload FW10, otherwise I couldn't get rid of this nasty distorted sound.

Here the Badger 18 factory preset sound EXACTLY like your OP with a Gibson.
Preset probably designed for SC guitars.
Like 3Dhuman said reduce input trim and bump treble (brt on) and dyn presence. Did it for me.

this does not have the problem thats in my clip :) now when mine is fixed #68 sounds good as it should

Well, to me it sounds as bad as yours, unplayable by default for my guitar at least. So you are saying that your default Badger preset sounds OK after cleaning, reinstalling the firmware and loading the factory presets. Weird...

I just went through the same thing. Very odd. All patches sounded dark, lacking upper harmonic overtones and sounding muddy. Dialing in treble and presence, dropping bass, playing with advance settings etc didn't work. Same with resetting amps and cabs.

I am playing a John Mayer Strat and things should be clear if not overly bright.

Finally I gave up and re-installed v10, did another system reset, and re-installed the factory presets for v10. The only thing that I did differently was to re-install from the "All_Banks" preset file instead of installing each bank (A-B-C) individually. I also rebooted the Axe not only after the firmware update but after the preset update as well. The presets are now sounding great. Very little tweaking is getting me into some very nice tones. I'm finally starting to see what all the excitement is about ;).

EDIT: I forgot to mention: I re-downloaded both the firmware as well as the patches and re-installed the new versions. Just in case it was a corrupted download.

Last edited:
It's so weird that folks are getting different results by re-installing the banks. This is making me think I need to do this because I've been similarly dissatisfied with V10. Everything sounds too gainy and just plain strange. I had to turn the gain on the first few "clean" factory presets (bassman, etc.) down to 0.5 to get usable clean tones. The "breakup" sounded like harsh clipping but no clipping lights were lighting at all.

I would love if Cliff or M@ or a mod could chime in on this. I always tought that installing FW or banks would be a yes or no thing. Installed successfully or doesn't install at all.
Now it appears that there's some people saying that some time things sound better after a few retrys.
In here things generally sound great but honestly I have nothing to compare to (my default badger 18 preset sounded as bad as the OP).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom