problems with factory presets

Start tweeking to your taste & Need
I downloaded V10 presets with Fractal-Bot, then put up 2 windows in Axe-Manage 1 with the old banks and #2 with V10 banks then I highlighted my edited banks I built and moved them to the V10 banks with Axe-Manage done everything works great.

There is definitely some placebo feel to this issue. Anyways, I simply can't understand why people are so excited about the factory presets. I would never ever show off with my Axe with the factory presets, they sound horrible to me. As soon as I start tweaking them, though, they can turn into pretty useful things.

could someone answer my question from above? thanks ;)

It'a single-coil guitar you are playing, right?
It sounds a little bit different to me with my LP (gainier and a little bit less defined), but basically similar results.

using humbucker pickup, first strumming series is neck, then bridge. Then switching to the next preset. (Starting with 000 preset)

using humbucker pickup, first strumming series is neck, then bridge. Then switching to the next preset. (Starting with 000 preset)

Wow, this is kinda interesting. I was seriously convinced you were using single-coils. Nice :)

There is definitely some placebo feel to this issue. Anyways, I simply can't understand why people are so excited about the factory presets. I would never ever show off with my Axe with the factory presets, they sound horrible to me. As soon as I start tweaking them, though, they can turn into pretty useful things.
As with most things, music - it's a personal opinion. I've done plenty gigs using factory presets and they sound just fine. No complaints from anyone, in fact lots of compliments. I only have about 5 presets of my own, and they are tweaked for specific sounds for specific songs.

Perhaps it depends on one's music style ??

As with most things, music - it's a personal opinion. I've done plenty gigs using factory presets and they sound just fine. No complaints from anyone, in fact lots of compliments. I only have about 5 presets of my own, and they are tweaked for specific sounds for specific songs.

Perhaps it depends on one's music style ??

I seriously don't know what to think. I know my listening system is horrible, but then I absolutely loved how V9 factory presets sounded, they sounded better to me than V10 factory presets. Maybe it's down to the fact that now my listening system is really not enough and can not handle this kind of dynamics.

I seriously don't know what to think. I know my listening system is horrible, but then I absolutely loved how V9 factory presets sounded, they sounded better to me than V10 factory presets. Maybe it's down to the fact that now my listening system is really not enough and can not handle this kind of dynamics.
Very possible... what are you using to "listen" with?
I run my "factory" presets thru an Atomic cab at gigs, and given the range of music I cover they sound pdg to me!

Note - I do not play any of the current "metal" styles out there, so have little interest in the chugga-chugga high gain tones.

Very possible... what are you using to "listen" with?
I run my "factory" presets thru an Atomic cab at gigs, and given the range of music I cover they sound pdg to me!

Note - I do not play any of the current "metal" styles out there, so have little interest in the chugga-chugga high gain tones.

Wish I had that kind of money.. :)
I'm playing through an old '80s hi-fi pa + speakers system, which is a lot closer to FRFR in a sene than today's hi-fi systems but well, it's old and not really meant for this kind of use.

Wish I had that kind of money.. :)
I'm playing through an old '80s hi-fi pa + speakers system...
You're right, that could be the problem. Hi-fi speakers intended for home use generally fart out pretty quickly when fed with a dynamic guitar signal. How does it sound with headphones?

I updated to 10.02 using the newest Fractal Bot last night. Then I loaded v10 Bank 1 into the Axe FXII using Fractal Bot.

I tried out all of the stock presets in Bank 1 as they were, and next turning on boost and saturation for each one to see how that sounded. None of them sounded that great clean (very thin sounding), and all of them sounded terrible distorted. I played the intro to "Stone Cold Crazy" by Queen where you hit the low E string on the 3rd fret and bend it up a whole step repeatedly. Every preset except for 3 crapped out totally when I did that. The highs would just disappear, the volume of the note would drop, and it sounded like the amp was ready to blow up.

I just read though this whole post and decided to try what one poster here said worked for him, which was going into global and just turning the power amp modeling and cab modeling off and back on. It totally fixed the problem. I did nothing else and all the new v10 presets in Bank 1 sound fine now.

I updated to 10.02 using the newest Fractal Bot last night. Then I loaded v10 Bank 1 into the Axe FXII using Fractal Bot.

I tried out all of the stock presets in Bank 1 as they were, and next turning on boost and saturation for each one to see how that sounded. None of them sounded that great clean (very thin sounding), and all of them sounded terrible distorted. I played the intro to "Stone Cold Crazy" by Queen where you hit the low E string on the 3rd fret and bend it up a whole step repeatedly. Every preset except for 3 crapped out totally when I did that. The highs would just disappear, the volume of the note would drop, and it sounded like the amp was ready to blow up.

I just read though this whole post and decided to try what one poster here said worked for him, which was going into global and just turning the power amp modeling and cab modeling off and back on. It totally fixed the problem. I did nothing else and all the new v10 presets in Bank 1 sound fine now.

Thanks for The tip !
Cliff, there's probably a bug somewhere

Thanks for The tip !
Cliff, there's probably a bug somewhere

+1 - I don't play the presets much myself but I did notice that "Run like Heck" was not as good as on v9 to my ears (I've been learning this song on and off). I thought it was just me till someone else mentioned it in this thread. Anyway I noted the same nastiness on the badger in preset 68 after reading this thread. I did a clean, fw10.02, all preset reload with no change, BUT, flipping the global power amp switch off/on after this brought preset 68 back into line for me as well (seemed to tame down the bass).

However - with power amp off, this patch still clips like crazy for me which I'm not sure is really a problem as many factory patches I try are a lot louder when sag is turned to 0.

Updates done with Fractal Bot 1.1 and a power recycle after each load.

Edit: Re clipping with PA off. I noticed that patch 68 has MV set to 7.1 where as the default setting on the badger is 5. This seems to be the difference from default that causes clipping with PA off. I tested this by:

- confirm MV at 7.1.
- confirm clipping on preset 68 after setting PA off.
- switch to another amp and back to reset amp paris.
- note no clipping and MV now at 5.
- increase master volume to 7.1.
- note clipping same as unchanged preset.

Conclusion - the clipping with no PA is not an issue.

Last edited:
Never cared much about the Suhr Models.
Based on this thread started tweaking the Default Preset 68 (with a Gibson).
Just came from a gig. It is the best clean tone I ever had. Period. Smoked my doubleverb preset.
FYI this preset 68 untouched sounded like the recording on the OP. I also turned amp and cab simulation off and on after upgrading.

Back
Top Bottom