problems with factory presets

I have found all the v10 factory presets to be too dark sounding, the opposite to what some others are experiencing. This all comes down to the cab model. When I drop in my own cab IR they transform into nice clear presets. So I concluded that I must have just got used to my own cab IR and the brightness it imparts, therefore all the factory presets, and indeed all the cab IR's already in the axe don't work for me. Only my own IR really does it. But that's what it's all about isn't it? Creating the sounds that work for me, not anyone else. I realise this post won't help the OP, but I just thought I'd share my own take on it.

It would be great if there was a way to see if the data has been stored properly. A form of systems operation analysis program. Go on line, click to program and it tests your Axe Fx ll. Resetting everything over and over until the unit operates as designed is tedious and archaic. My unit is still not up to par. I'm very frustrated.

It would be great if there was a way to see if the data has been stored properly. A form of systems operation analysis program. Go on line, click to program and it tests your Axe Fx ll. Resetting everything over and over until the unit operates as designed is tedious and archaic. My unit is still not up to par. I'm very frustrated.

There is a verifying process actually going on when updating the fw but it seems so that this is beyond this. It reminds me of the issues sometimes with AE, changing the tone of some presets, etc.

I just went through the same thing. Very odd. All patches sounded dark, lacking upper harmonic overtones and sounding muddy. Dialing in treble and presence, dropping bass, playing with advance settings etc didn't work. Same with resetting amps and cabs.

I am playing a John Mayer Strat and things should be clear if not overly bright.

Finally I gave up and re-installed v10, did another system reset, and re-installed the factory presets for v10. The only thing that I did differently was to re-install from the "All_Banks" preset file instead of installing each bank (A-B-C) individually. I also rebooted the Axe not only after the firmware update but after the preset update as well. The presets are now sounding great. Very little tweaking is getting me into some very nice tones. I'm finally starting to see what all the excitement is about ;).

Same description happening on my end. Identical tone description. Spent countless hours and days installing, reinstalling, re-booting, resetting and repeat. Beyond exhausting. I'm gonna try the reinstall "All Banks" today. Would love to know what's up from AxeFx.

Note: I've played V10 so far through a les paul, es-335 and strat. It's not the guitars.
Going direct into an Apogee Symphony into PT. It's not PT or the Symphony since V9 and previous FWs sound amazing, especially V9.

Another thing that I forgot to mention: I re-downloaded both the firmware as well as the patches and re-installed the new versions. Just in case it was a corrupted download.

I really hope it works for you guys. There is definitely a HUGE difference when it does. It was like a blanket was pulled off of the speakers.

i think its fixed now, reinstalled everything a 3rd time, reloaded presets etc, now it doesnt clip if i test with the power amp sim off and 90% of the factory presets i tried sounded good, some just not my taste

It took 3 tries for me as well.

I would love if Cliff or M@ or a mod could chime in on this. I always tought that installing FW or banks would be a yes or no thing. Installed successfully or doesn't install at all.
Now it appears that there's some people saying that some time things sound better after a few retrys.
In here things generally sound great but honestly I have nothing to compare to (my default badger 18 preset sounded as bad as the OP).

I also think it should be a yes/no. Not a lot of maybe this or that. So I agree with sprada that it would be good if someone from Fractal could tell what's right here.

Did firmware v10.02 resolve any of these issues for you guys?

No. One of my favorite sounds was "Run Like Heck", now instead of a beautiful clean it sounds really ratty. The other problem that I`ve always had is that I have always been able to tweak anything, but I have a real hard time with this. A 5150 is known for it`s big warm gargantuan sound, and I have used one for about 15 years and I can`t get even close with the Axe. I know you can`t expect it to sound exact, but I hear other people`s sounds and they sound great. I`m really frustrated with the other amps I`m familiar with in the Axe. Is it v10? Is it me? Am I missing something? I really miss seeing an amps front panel. What do I tweak and what do I leave alone? I`m really frustrated.

I thought it was me. Seems many others are having the same problem. I'd love to hear what this thing can really do but all I've done for weeks since I got it is try and make it sound decent. Def. something wrong. Tried many guitars, it's not that. Heeeeeeeeeelp.

I think we need more clips of default presets that sound crapy and some from users that think they sound great, how they sound in comparaison, and system config files. I am sure some of the heavy users on here can help. I don't seem to be having major sound quality issues but I did notice after a system-clean and fresh firmware some things do sound different. Not sure if I'm crazy or what....

Same here and i was thinking it was me... tried the preset 68 and yeah it sounds like the OP. I'm with 10.02.
However, when I dial a tone, it usually sounds good so maybe the issue is more on the presets files... i dunno.

Last edited:
Would someone be kind enough to post a detailed step-by-step total reset procedure for the Axe-FX2.
If we can get one that solves problems, it might solve some of the issues mentioned on this thread.
Details on how the FW and presets were updated (Snoize, Axe-Edit...) and if people use FW-system-clean or not and in which order would be great. When the unit was power cycled would also be useful. I posted mine once in another thread but since I seem to be having some issues perhaps I should not post it now.

Yep, we gotta pinpoint why it's working for some and why not for others. Maybe it's something simple that we're somehow overlooking.

One issue that I've been having with ae is that it seems to select incorrect cabs. I used the preset reporter tool to check the raw cab numbers in the patch and it was different to the ones in the patch after uploading to the axe. It might not be a problem i guess , could just be an offset or something.

Looking forward to the new fractal bot :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

New Fractal Bot... that would be awesome. The current AxeEdit will rock along just fine and then as they said in The Hunt For Red October, it'll go "crazy Ivan" on you and take a hard left for no apparent reason.

Give me a ping, Vasily. One ping only, please.

I think it's Axe-Edit. A new FractalBot will be released hopefully tonight which will support bank upload/download.

That would make sense since manually dialing tone is not affected. A real test would be to screenshot all parameters of one v10 bank preset and entering it manually using the front panel and compare... but i'm too lazy for that lol. Better wait the for new bot now ! :)

Back
Top Bottom