Problems with effects levels anf frfr

ejviruet

Inspired
I use studio monitors for home practice with xlr cable going out of out 1. When i use an frfr speaker, using out1 1/4 cable (unbalanced), the volume of the effects, specially delay , is lower than what i was hearing on the studio monitors. Any recommendations of how should i connect to frfr speakers, so i could hear the same effects levels as in my studio monitors?

They should be exactly the same.

Are you saying that just the effects are quiet and the "dry signal" sounds the same?

Are your ears closer to your studio monitors vs the other speaker?

Were you monitoring in stereo through the studio monitors, with some type of stereo delay? (Different times for L/R or phase reverse on)

Are you using just one FRFR speaker?

You can't always expect one side (or a L+R sum) of a stereo mix to have the same apparent mix of sounds as when you heard it in stereo. That might be what you're encountering here.

Definetively, im using 2 studio monitors, and one powered frfr speaker which has 2 inputs, so i run each line out of output 1 into each input of the speaker, but it still just one speaker. Should i increase the mix in the effects to play with the frfr?

Definetively, im using 2 studio monitors, and one powered frfr speaker which has 2 inputs, so i run each line out of output 1 into each input of the speaker, but it still just one speaker. Should i increase the mix in the effects to play with the frfr?

You are getting phase cancellation since the single monitor is summing the two signals. You should only run one line to the speaker or rework your presets so that you don't get phase cancellation.

You should only run one line to the speaker

i suggest this. it's a quick solution, and generally how you should run it anyway.

same thing if you are working with a PA system that is mono. if you send the stereo signal to the mixer, but it's all summed to mono, the audience will not hear what you intended. so with a mono PA, i just send one line to the mixer. i still leave my outputs set to stereo though.

i hope to do a video on this concept soon.

Thanks a lot all. I recenly had a gig and went directly to FOH and used only one line to the console and it sounded great. I will follow your advice and use only one line to the FRFR speaker.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom