Problems with ducking settings in delay block 2290/mod

Home Skillet

Inspired
I'm trying new settings as I have band practice tomorrow and just need some help. I'm trying to use the 2290/mod and sounds great except when I'm trying to set the ducking parameters. I hope I explain it right (lacking sleep) but I'm trying to get single note stuff to ring out but then when going into rhythm sections the notes start clashing. When I try setting the ducking too high, the delay almost sounds like a reverse delay, but then too little attenuation and the notes will clash. What am I missing here?

when you say the notes start clashing, do you mean the repeated notes are still just as loud as the new notes you are playing?

what are your current settings for the following parameters?

DUCKER ATTEN – Attenuation sets the amount by which the effect volume will duck (decrease). A setting of 20 dB, for example, will decrease the echoes by 20 dB when the input level is above the threshold. Set to 0.0 to defeat the ducker.

DUCKER THRSHLD – Sets the trigger level of the ducker. If the input signal exceeds this value, the delayed signal will be reduced by the amount set with the ATTENUATION control.

DUCKER REL TIME – Sets how long it takes for the delay signal to return to normal when the input goes below the threshold. A short value here causes the ducked echoes to return to full volume the moment you stop playing. Longer times cause the levels to swell back more gradually.

Ducker Atten = 80dB
Ducker Thrshld = -54dB
Ducker Rel Time = 1.0ms
The problem is that between your chords, depending on your play, the ducker will release with that setting (as the release time is set to almost instant).

There's two ways to fix that:

Increase the release time or set the ducker treshold higher.

Try this setting; works pretty good for me:

Atten: 30dB (you don't want the attenuation too high, because then the ducker will have a 'blocky' fadein
Rel Time: 20ms
Trshld: -40dB

Also, you can manually create a ducking delay that is fed with an ADSR for the input gain of the delay.
This has some advantages over the ordinary ducking delay:
- When playing leadparts, your delay starts more early
- The delay is unaffected by any changes in volume or distortion

The best results can be achieved if you set the sustain time of your ADSR to the note value of your rhythm part. Attack almost instant, release almost instant.
Then map your ADSR to your delay input gain, but reverse it (start is 100%, end is 0%).
If you now play a note, the delay input will be muted for like an eigth note and then almost instantly kick in.
Remember than you need to set the retrigger mode to on and find a good value for the ADSR treshold.

You can basicly also use an envelope filter, but then I recommend feeding the delay with the dry guitar signal, so that the feeding signal decays faster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom