Problems with DELAY1 and REVERB parameters MIX, LEVEL

AndyKay

I try to understand some parameters in AX8-edit, mainly how MIX and LEVEL work for DELAY1 and REVERB blocks when used in series.

- I use DELAY1 block (in series)
- I set this block to BYPASS (with SPACE key)
- altought the block is bypassed, I can change the volume of my direct signal with the knobs MIX and LEVEL???
- this is very confusing to me
- the same happend with REVERB

- but on bypassed blocks like DELAY2(!), PHASER, CHORUS, DRIVE, etc. nothing happens to the direct sound when turning MIX or LEVEL...

Do you have something like a schematic how DELAY1 and REVERB blocks work?

Thanks, Andy

Firmware:
AX8 - Quantum 4

@brokenvail
I didn't thinkt about the bypass states, so thanks a lot!

In the actual preset I used "mute fx out".
So, now the function of the MIX and LEVEL knobs is clear.

But I have a question to the setting "mute fx out" -> I will open another thread...

Since you are in series you should uses thru as least as far as I recall

Not necessarily. If you want to have true spill-over with your time-based effects, you should set bypass mode to "mute FX in", as this will allow the repeats to be heard.

And generally, you will not need to touch the "Level" parameter, when you have your delay in a serial connection - in this instance you control the amount of delay using the "mix" parameter. And vice versa, when the delay is connected in parallel, you set "mix" to 100% and control the level with the "level" parameter. In this instance you want to use "mute in", if you want spill-over and "mute", if you don't want spill-over.

Not necessarily. If you want to have true spill-over with your time-based effects, you should set bypass mode to "mute FX in", as this will allow the repeats to be heard.

And generally, you will not need to touch the "Level" parameter, when you have your delay in a serial connection - in this instance you control the amount of delay using the "mix" parameter. And vice versa, when the delay is connected in parallel, you set "mix" to 100% and control the level with the "level" parameter. In this instance you want to use "mute in", if you want spill-over and "mute", if you don't want spill-over.
It has been ages since I have run my delay in series but I am pretty sure thru will not abruptly cut of the delay trail.

In the last few days, I have made some tests. Here are my results:

- I will use both DELAY and REVERB blocks in series
- both blocks are set to THRU (bypass mode)

If I want my "direct"-signal to have absolutely the same level, when DELAY or REVERB are engaged or not engaged, I have to do the following different(!) settings for DELAY and REVERB:

- DELAY:
- Mix: 50%
- Level: 0 dB

- REVERB:
- Mix: 50%
- Level: 3 dB

I don't really understand this different behaviour of the blocks, but now I'm happy :)

The Delay block has a different Mix law applied, as you've discovered. 50% Mix is full volume delay, full volume dry. Turn in either direction for less of one or the other. Makes it much easier to run in series.

The Reverb block has a standard Mix law: turn up from 0% and you'll hear more verb but less dry.

The Delay block has a different Mix law applied, as you've discovered. 50% Mix is full volume delay, full volume dry. Turn in either direction for less of one or the other. Makes it much easier to run in series.

The Reverb block has a standard Mix law: turn up from 0% and you'll hear more verb but less dry.
I swore verb had a mix law. Guess I was wrong

Would be handy for series layout, that's for sure. I keep it in parallel and 100% Mix either way because I always feed MultiDelay into 100% wet verb and we only have one Reverb block on the AX8.
I run the in parallel too. I feel like I hear a difference. Not better or worse just different

Back
Top Bottom