Problems with Axe-Fx III as USB soundcard

Aside from the Logic issue what other "numerous" issues are there?
Often when i turn on my Axe Fx 3 connected via USB, the internet doesn´t work any more. At the same time when i try to run the Axe III as soundcard in Logic, it doesn´t work proberly, it stucks constantly and it is not possible to run my USB-Midi-Keyboard simultaneously. I have to reboot my Mac with OSX 10.13 or 10.11 several times. Then, with luck it works. Very disappointing for so much money. With my RME soundcard instead everything works perfectly.

Best regards,

Chris

I also sometimes have problem using axefx 3 via USB. Sometimes reboot axe work, sometimes I need to reboot the Mac. I still don't have found a common factor on issue

So i am not alone. That´s a bit consoling. But generally the issue is very disappointing. I am a professional and planned to use the axe for complex recording-routings as well as using it for complex live routings with computer and stuff. But using the axe as a soundcard is definitely NOT reliable. I never would use it on stage together with a computer.

I need to specify that axe fx 3 is a very stable devie in all his things, USB for control it is very stable. Also his use on stage, never get problem.
The only problem I get, some times, is usb audio. In generally it work but sometime I got the issue

FWIW,
My two pence. There are other similar threads ref usb audio and dropouts. Admittedly not exactly the same issue but similar enough.
I have both an Axe III & Axe IIXL. Various USB cables, and both a PC and IMac... The common denominator everytime was the Axe III, no matter which way I tried various fault elimination processes for USB audio drop out.
After many, many hours of literally pulling my hair out. I decided to botch one of my cables and made it fit slightly tighter into the back of the Axe III. (Even though it felt ok to start with, but not as snug as the Axe IIXL)
Obviously it’s not ideal - but I made sure there was not going to be any real long term issue with the plug socket on the III.
I have not had an audio drop out since, running flat out for hours at a time...

I need to specify that axe fx 3 is a very stable devie in all his things, USB for control it is very stable. Also his use on stage, never get problem.
The only problem I get, some times, is usb audio. In generally it work but sometime I got the issue
I agree. Only Usb audio causes problems. In my case it never runs as well as my rme-soundcard, Logic stucks after every single recording for at least 5 seconds. That´s not accetable for me.

FWIW,
My two pence. There are other similar threads ref usb audio and dropouts. Admittedly not exactly the same issue but similar enough.
I have both an Axe III & Axe IIXL. Various USB cables, and both a PC and IMac... The common denominator everytime was the Axe III, no matter which way I tried various fault elimination processes for USB audio drop out.
After many, many hours of literally pulling my hair out. I decided to botch one of my cables and made it fit slightly tighter into the back of the Axe III. (Even though it felt ok to start with, but not as snug as the Axe IIXL)
Obviously it’s not ideal - but I made sure there was not going to be any real long term issue with the plug socket on the III.
I have not had an audio drop out since, running flat out for hours at a time...
Thank you! Sounds a bit uncommon, but if it works, it works. I´ll give it a try

Having problems with my AxeFX III using directly as a Soundcard e.g. in Cubase (...but also in general). It very often stops to play audio from my Windows PC. Wanted to record something yesterday and after trying 100 times booting Windows, disconnecting USB connection, etc. I gave up. Interesting wise you can still record, so the only thing which is not working are the USB outputs. Any known solutions for this problem?
I have the same problem with an iMac using cubase... after x minutes I lose the audio. Did you find a solution?

I use Cubase and have had no problems after following the instructions below since April 14th...

I followed the instructions on the WIKI to the letter with regards to cable length, start up and connection procedures.
Using a brand new USB B to USB C cable too.
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB

Also used this Youtube Video to clean up all the Audio Preferences:

Lets see how it goes in a day or so but so far I have changed configs in my DAW (Cubase) changes the Midi Preferences on my Mac and also the Output config on the FXIII and so far so good.

I'm having the same problem. I have a MAC and everything works great but when I try to play Audio through the AXE USB it shuts off and I have to reboot everything. Even then sometimes it doesn't fix it.

Hello all. I am going to offer a solution to everyone's problem using Axe FX as their soundcard, but it will not be a popular solution.

We all consider the purchase of the Axe FX 3 to be an investment, and I know there may be expectations based off the manufacturer claims, etc.; however, I am here to tell you that while the Axe FX 3 is a brilliant guitar processor, it does not seem to be performing well as a dedicated audio interface. It is a great additional feature, but it is not where Fractal Audio have spent the majority of their time in development.

This solution will cost 269.00 as of today at Sweetwater. Consider it the cost to get a 100% flawless setup with the Axe that works all the time, every time, whether software is running or not.

1. Go purchase a Focusrite 8i6 3rd generation. As I mentioned, they are currently 269 online. (this is the cheapest Focusrite (or any interface I think) that has SPDIF I/O)
2. Install the Focusrite software.
3. Buy two (2) SPDIF cables. You can order them cheap on Amazon. Usually any RCA cable rated at 75ohm will work.
4. Connect the Axe FX 3 to the in / out of the Focusrite with the SPDIF cables.
5. Set the Axe FX 3 to receive word clock externally in your setup.
6. Set the Focusrite 8i6 to default to 48khz (the only sample rate available for the Axe FX 3) and as master clock.
7. In the Focusrite control software, set the SPDIF inputs to be always active through your monitors. This software does not need to be running constantly....just for setup. It sets the configuration of I/O and allows audio passthrough like a mixer.
8. When recording: In your DAW software, set the Focusrite as the recording interface at whatever latency you prefer.

This is basically it.
You will have the ability to have the AXE FX 3 running audio (digital) into the Focusrite at all times, regardless of anything else going on: DAW software, Youtube, Axe Edit, whatever. You will always have a signal coming through your speakers / headphones / etc. I leave my Axe FX off until I need it. It boots up, and there is signal. Every time. No dropouts, no reboot, no fuss.

There will be ZERO delay during recording due to latency, because you will always be monitoring the AXE FX 3 signal DIRECT. You will set your track to record but not monitor the signal. Going in via SPDIF also means there is no D/A A/D before recording so the signal is as pristine as the internals of the Axe FX.

You will be able to record in the DAW of your choice (I currently use Logic) with very mature ASIO / Core Audio drivers (Focusrite have been improving the Scarlett range for the better part of a decade). Round trip latency is almost as good as RME on my 2012 Mac Mini.

You will get an additional 6 inputs / 4 outputs via the 8i6, including a couple of mic pre's. You will get 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O, and two headphone outs.

This is the most painless, straightforward setup I have ever had. No switching default drivers, no reset, no issues. I am 100% certain that this setup would work the same on PC as it does on Mac.

I know the appeal of just having the Axe FX 3 as the only interface / centerpiece of your workflow is desireable. It just is not there yet IMO.

Consider the 269 as an add-on to get the Axe FX 3 integrated.

I am sure there are other ways to skin this cat, but this one is the easiest I have found. I have been recording audio via computers since the early 90's. I am not new to this game, and have had more interfaces / computer setups over the years than I can keep track of.

This setup is dead simple and 100% functional.

When Fractal gets the Axe this reliable with the same level of latency performance and functionality, I will be happy to re-evaluate.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hello all. I am going to offer a solution to everyone's problem using Axe FX as their soundcard, but it will not be a popular solution.

We all consider the purchase of the Axe FX 3 to be an investment, and I know there may be expectations based off the manufacturer claims, etc.; however, I am here to tell you that while the Axe FX 3 is a brilliant guitar processor, it does not seem to be performing well as a dedicated audio interface. It is a great additional feature, but it is not where Fractal Audio have spent the majority of their time in development.

This solution will cost 269.00 as of today at Sweetwater. Consider it the cost to get a 100% flawless setup with the Axe that works all the time, every time, whether software is running or not.

1. Go purchase a Focusrite 8i6 3rd generation. As I mentioned, they are currently 269 online. (this is the cheapest Focusrite (or any interface I think) that has SPDIF I/O)
3. Buy two (2) SPDIF cables. You can order them cheap on Amazon. Usually any RCA cable rated at 75ohm will work.
6. Set the Focusrite 8i6 to default to 48khz (the only sample rate available for the Axe FX 3) and as master clock.
7. In the Focusrite control software, set the SPDIF inputs to be always active through your monitors. This software does not need to be running constantly....just for setup. It sets the configuration of I/O and allows audio passthrough like a mixer.
8. When recording: In your DAW software, set the Focusrite as the recording interface at whatever latency you prefer.

This is basically it.
You will have the ability to have the AXE FX 3 running audio (digital) into the Focusrite at all times, regardless of anything else going on: DAW software, Youtube, Axe Edit, whatever. You will always have a signal coming through your speakers / headphones / etc. I leave my Axe FX off until I need it. It boots up, and there is signal. Every time. No dropouts, no reboot, no fuss.

There will be ZERO delay during recording due to latency, because you will always be monitoring the AXE FX 3 signal DIRECT. You will set your track to record but not monitor the signal. Going in via SPDIF also means there is no D/A A/D before recording so the signal is as pristine as the internals of the Axe FX.

You will be able to record in the DAW of your choice (I currently use Logic) with very mature ASIO / Core Audio drivers (Focusrite have been improving the Scarlett range for the better part of a decade). Round trip latency is almost as good as RME on my 2012 Mac Mini.

You will get an additional 6 inputs / 4 outputs via the 8i6, including a couple of mic pre's. You will get 5 pin DIN MIDI I/O, and two headphone outs.

This is the most painless, straightforward setup I have ever had. No switching default drivers, no reset, no issues. I am 100% certain that this setup would work the same on PC as it does on Mac.

I know the appeal of just having the Axe FX 3 as the only interface / centerpiece of your workflow is desireable. It just is not there yet IMO.

I am sure there are other ways to skin this cat, but this one is the easiest I have found. I have been recording audio via computers since the early 90's. I am not new to this game, and have had more interfaces / computer setups over the years than I can keep track of.

When Fractal gets the Axe this reliable with the same level of latency performance and functionality, I will be happy to re-evaluate.

This is where I landed as well, for the same reasons. I already had a Scarlett interface from 5 years ago, so all I had to do was get some SPDIF cables. I had a little distance to go due to my room setup so I bought 10 foot individual high-quality cables from Sweetwater....

This is basically it.

it is definitely a bit concerning but the USB seems to be causing issues for both AX3 and FM3
I am wondering if it hardware or software seems the same symptoms
drop outs , not syncing to DAW
disconnections
thanks for the advice i may look into it
or the AXE I/0

I am here to tell you that while the Axe FX 3 is a brilliant guitar processor, it does not seem to be performing well as a dedicated audio interface.

Some people are obviously having problems, but just to share my experience: I use my AxeFX directly connected to my Mac via USB every day for recording and it's rock solid for me. This is a dead simple setup that works great, especially for reamping, and it avoids the complication of a device between the AxeFX and my computer.

Some people are obviously having problems, but just to share my experience: I use my AxeFX directly connected to my Mac via USB every day for recording and it's rock solid for me. This is a dead simple setup that works great, especially for reamping, and it avoids the complication of a device between the AxeFX and my computer.

To be clear, I was initially able to get it working as a USB interface too. The issue for me was the amount of latency the Axe FX introduced at given settings in Logic - it was significantly higher than the Focusrite 8i6 or the RME Babyface Pro (these are the two interfaces I have compared it directly with).

Additionally, some of the problems I am reading about involve trying to use Axe Edit and Logic simultaneously. I do not remember whether I had problems with this or not....but for me, the ability to use Axe Edit while recording is essential.

I understand not everyone will have the same needs WRT the Axe vs a dedicated interface. Hopefully, if someone has tried all available solutions without success, my information will give them another avenue to look into (although not one without additional cost).

I haven't had issues with USB audio. I just want to be able to monitor the AxeFX without opening up Logic and setting up a session and channel strip so I can click the input monitoring button on that channel strip to monitor the AxeFX, and I also don't want to have the AxeFX as my default audio interface, which would require the AxeFX to be turned on any time I wanted to hear audio out of my computer. If the OS would provide a more cohesive way of controlling multiple audio interfaces than their 'aggregate' interface, then things would be simpler....

To be clear, I was initially able to get it working as a USB interface too. The issue for me was the amount of latency the Axe FX introduced at given settings in Logic - it was significantly higher than the Focusrite 8i6 or the RME Babyface Pro (these are the two interfaces I have compared it directly with).

Additionally, some of the problems I am reading about involve trying to use Axe Edit and Logic simultaneously. I do not remember whether I had problems with this or not....but for me, the ability to use Axe Edit while recording is essential.

I generally monitor my guitar direct. That makes the latency almost irrelevant. FWIW, I always use AxeEdit while recording. In fact, I'd love to see it repackaged as a plugin so the settings can be embedded in the session. Again, I'm only chiming in to give feedback that there is at least one person who is not having USB problems :).

I haven't had issues with USB audio. I just want to be able to monitor the AxeFX without opening up Logic and setting up a session and channel strip so I can click the input monitoring button on that channel strip to monitor the AxeFX, and I also don't want to have the AxeFX as my default audio interface, which would require the AxeFX to be turned on any time I wanted to hear audio out of my computer. If the OS would provide a more cohesive way of controlling multiple audio interfaces than their 'aggregate' interface, then things would be simpler....

That doesn't sound right. There shouldn't be any need to monitor through your DAW just to hear audio from your AxeFX. In fact, that's generally an undesirable way to configure things. FWIW, I've used aggregate devices for years. It's hard to imagine a more robust or efficient way of combining multiple audio interface devices into a single virtual device.

...... In fact, I'd love to see it repackaged as a plugin so the settings can be embedded in the session.

THIS! I vote for this. Even though I do not use the Axe FX via USB in Logic....I would love to embed the settings used for recording. Yes, you can write session notes...but if you did a lot of tweaking to get a sound just right....a plugin would be much simpler to recall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom