Problems with Axe-Fx III as USB soundcard

That doesn't sound right. There shouldn't be any need to monitor through your DAW just to hear audio from your AxeFX. In fact, that's generally an undesirable way to configure things. FWIW, I've used aggregate devices for years. It's hard to imagine a more robust or efficient way of combining multiple audio interface devices into a single virtual device.
If I want AxeFX audio in my audio monitors on my computer via the speakers connected to my Scarlett interface, I have to configure it this way.

The aggregate interface does not supply an audio mixer or muxer which allows me to monitor the Axe directly while also getting computer-based audio, through the chosen audio output....

If I want AxeFX audio in my audio monitors on my computer via the speakers connected to my Scarlett interface, I have to configure it this way.

The aggregate interface does not supply an audio mixer or muxer which allows me to monitor the Axe directly while also getting computer-based audio, through the chosen audio output....

That's a very common situation. All you have to do is run one output from the AxeFX via USB into your computer for recording, and a second output to your monitors (via a mixer if you like, so you can balance it with computer audio) for monitoring. The point is: using USB does not mean you have to monitor through your DAW.

That's a very common situation. All you have to do is run one output from the AxeFX via USB into your computer for recording, and a second output to your monitors (via a mixer if you like, so you can balance it with computer audio) for monitoring. The point is: using USB does not mean you have to monitor through your DAW.
I don't have (or want) a hardware mixer, and I don't want to run any more cables than I already have.

I want the OS to allow me to route any audio input to any audio output, without a piece of extra software in between. I also want to hear the other audio from the computer mixed with the audio from the AxeFX, again, with no other software needed. Scarlett provides a mixer, but does not poll the OS to look for other interfaces and provide them a fader. The OS should have this functionality available, to route and mix audio inputs to any audio output, but does not provide it.

SPDIF i/o is available on Scarlett's mixer, and that allows my system to tick off the largest number of requirements on my list.

I'm not trying to talk you out of your Scarlett :). It sounds like you have some particular needs that make that the best setup for you. I was just taking issue with your assertion that using USB means monitoring must be done through a DAW.

I'm not trying to talk you out of your Scarlett :). It sounds like you have some particular needs that make that the best setup for you. I was just taking issue with your assertion that using USB means monitoring must be done through a DAW.
I would be very happy if the OS provided a way to route the USB inputs to the chosen output interface. I tried to use the aggregate interface, but could not get it to work such that it would let me play the Axe's USB audio through the Scarlett's outputs without setting up a channel in a Logic session so I could click the source/input monitor button and hear it. The system knows all the inputs and outputs it has. It should be capable of doing this itself, but chooses not to bother to try.

Being a perpetual edge case can be tiresome 😕

The territory between audio input and audio output is the domain of audio apps. That's traditionally not the purview of the OS. So if you're waiting for that to happen, you've got a long wait ahead of you :). In the meantime, Rogue Amoeba Loopback does what you're asking for, but sending the AxeFX audio to the computer just to go to your speakers is extremely inefficient. There is a good reason why people almost always monitor direct when recording guitar through a standalone modeler like the AxeFX :).

The territory between audio input and audio output is the domain of audio apps. That's traditionally not the purview of the OS. So if you're waiting for that to happen, you've got a long wait ahead of you :). In the meantime, Rogue Amoeba Loopback does what you're asking for, but sending the AxeFX audio to the computer just to go to your speakers is extremely inefficient. There is a good reason why people almost always monitor direct when recording guitar through a standalone modeler like the AxeFX :).
Yeah, I did a google search and found that. Trying it out now. I am now able to get the AxeFX's outputs routed to the Scarlett's outputs, and I can see all the audio levels on the little meter bars.
Screenshot%202020-04-26%2016.21.55.png

$99 more out the door for something the OS should provide at least some minimal facility to accomplish - that is, if I decide to buy it. I am already out the door $40 or so for the SPDIF cables. The visual on the inputs might be worth it, but I might just stick with the hardware SPIDF for monitoring, and see if the aggregate thing will be stable on this OS and machine, because that and hardware SPDIF lets me get mostly where I want to be. It was kinda flaky on the old iMac (27", maxed out RAM, 5 years old, "late 2013").... :(

Decisions, decisions. Something to cogitate on whilst I go to the store in search of groceries, I guess....

EDIT:
Ooh, dark mode looks nice:
Screenshot%202020-04-26%2016.38.39.png

Last edited:
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it :). Monitoring through your computer is very inefficient.

Loopback has many other uses, so I'd recommend that any recording musician should have it. If you want to insist that should be built into the OS...well now you're just yelling at clouds :).

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it :). Monitoring through your computer is very inefficient.

Loopback has many other uses, so I'd recommend that any recording musician should have it. If you want to insist that should be built into the OS...well now you're just yelling at clouds :).
Hmmm....
The sky is exactly the wrong shade of green today.... :p

I’ve seen many people using the III reliably as an interface. That being said, the Fact you’re having a problem indicates.....you’re having a problem which can be understandably frustrating. I also think most users needs and systems are at least somewhat different, which can manifest issues or affect usability in different ways. For ME, and this may be right or wrong, is I want my modeler to do just that: model amps and effects. I want my interface to interface. I want them both do do what they do very well. But this is my need and my use and my approach. I am grateful for the extended I/O in the III, as its saved my ass in my particular setup, BUT, I’d never consider using it as my sole audio interface. I do know from experience as an end user driver issues can render otherwise stellar gear unreliable on a good day (see Antelope). So, without much to offer here in resolution, good luck on your issue. I know Fractal will get you sorted out.

I am wondering if it hardware or software seems the same symptoms
drop outs , not syncing to DAW
disconnections
thanks for the advice i may look into it
or the AXE I/0

I am not in a position to point to a definitive cause, but I would put my money on software.

What I have observed from other manufacturers is the quality of driver software varies greatly. My understanding is the USB controller in the Axe FX is a discrete component chosen specifically for the types of data transfer needed for digital audio. We have also seen that the USB controller has it's own firmware.

When looking at ASIO or Core Audio drivers, there have been numerous discussions (look on the Gearslutz forum if you want to read all the minutiae) about Real Time Latency figures, ability to perform under load and at smallest buffer settings, etc. RME led the pack for years in this regard, with their USB interfaces coming in at RTL figures only slightly behind direct PCIe tests. In my subjective tests, RME interfaces work without hiccup at the lowest buffer settings reliably and at very fast RTL measurements up until the CPU maxes out. This cannot be said for other companies, where one may start to experience pops / crackle / dropouts / error messages, etc when CPU load goes above 60-70% of maximum.

Several manufacturers still rely on a 'generic' ASIO driver developed by Thesycon or on the Asio4All driver.

RME have always developed bespoke drivers for their interfaces, and use custom FPGA controllers (not off the shelf components)....hence the ability to outperform other USB interfaces (and even outperform Thunderbolt in some cases).

The Focusrite Scarlett I mentioned earlier is the 3rd generation of its kind from Focusrite. Earlier generations of this interface also suffered from USB issues, high latency, dropouts, etc.; however, Focusrite seem to have cracked the code (pun intended) with their 3rd gen range. I do not know the specifics of what they changed hardware / software-wise....Focusrite is not as forthcoming as RME with regards to this type of info.

For anyone who has the Axe FX working to satisfaction and fulfilling your needs as a USB interface....congrats, and no need to fix it if it is not broken. ;)

FOR FRACTAL AUDIO:
...if you are reading this: One recommendation for your website / marketing - the webpage has some statements that are not backed up with any objective figures. For instance, "The audiophile-grade signal path components and converters provide better audio performance than most dedicated USB audio interfaces." There are no specifications given for THD, Signal to Noise, etc. While specs themselves can be manipulated because there is no standard of measurement adopted by all equipment manufacturers, it seems ...um....'sketchy' to say the Axe FX provides 'better' (subjective) audio signal performance than other interfaces without giving any numbers or tests to at least support your claim. You do name CS converter chips, Burr Brown opamps (actually Texas Instruments, but everyone uses the cache of Burr Brown because it is recognizable) in the components used, but implementation and how that implementation measures out compared to the competition has more meat from both an engineering and marketing standpoint....at least if you are trying to sell to a wider audience than just guitar players....and I think you should be.

Apogee, Mytek, Benchmark, Grace Design, Burl, Lynx, RME, Avid....they all provide specs, and are widely considered "Pro" grade studio interfaces / converters.

For the record: I think the Axe FX sounds great and is an amazing piece of gear...I am just wary when manufacturers are not forthcoming with specs.

Hello everyone.

I had issue of sound dissapeared also with my Axe FX 3.

I found connection with unstable electricity at my flat (especially, when my fridge restart or do it topical strange scary sounds :)).

First I make a test on Laptop without electric line, only laptop's AC, it works all the time stable.

I just ordered an UPS for my desktop PC , so since few days everything is stable.

I hope it will help to solve yours problems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom