Problems switching from physical cab with a mic to direct

guitarfreak365

Inspired
Im kind of lost. I have been running my axe fx ii with a real cab with the cabinet modeling off. Last night at practice I decided to go direct and switch the cab modeling on to a similar cab to what I own. A MESA 2x12. Any way I thought it sounded killer and seems very transparent and cutting. The lead band member didn’t like the tone though and thought it seems to harsh on the high end. The sound guy didn’t see any problem and actually said “do you mean it sounds too massive?” He wasn’t meaning I was infringing on other instruments frequencies. He thought it sounded good but thought that whatever the leader didn’t like was due to it being direct. I then tried lowering the bright control on the amp block to just see what the leader thought and I brought it down a whole 10dbs and the he liked it more. Anyway is there normal things people run into when switching to going DR? Has anyone run into something similar to this and have any advice?

check out the High Cut (and Low Cut) in the Cab block itself. i tend to run it pretty low, 10k or even less, depending on the tone i'm going for.

listening to a cab in the room is always completely different than a mic on the cab itself. these cut controls help a bunch.

check out the High Cut (and Low Cut) in the Cab block itself. i tend to run it pretty low, 10k or even less, depending on the tone i'm going for.

listening to a cab in the room is always completely different than a mic on the cab itself. these cut controls help a bunch.
Thanks! That a good idea! After that night I was thinking of maybe bringing the presence down and how that might help too?

I would stick with the hi cut as Chris mentioned before changing the presence, assuming the presence was dialed previously. Doesn’t hurt to try but I suspect the hi cut is what you need. You can go as low as 5k, although that is a bit extreme. If it sounds better in the 5-6k range you would probably be better off with a less bright ir that way you can retain some of the high freq character without being harsh. I try to find an ir that lets me keep the hi cut at 8-10k, and the low at 100-150

I would stick with the hi cut as Chris mentioned before changing the presence, assuming the presence was dialed previously. Doesn’t hurt to try but I suspect the hi cut is what you need. You can go as low as 5k, although that is a bit extreme. If it sounds better in the 5-6k range you would probably be better off with a less bright ir that way you can retain some of the high freq character without being harsh. I try to find an ir that lets me keep the hi cut at 8-10k, and the low at 100-150
Thanks I will try that! I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom