problem with this preset

Harm

Experienced
Hi All, This is the cooper carter preset that was eq'd by another member and I downloaded from the forum. I changed a few things. Now the curious part: I added a whammy. It is attached to cc pedal #5. When I turn on the axe fx and go to this preset there is a delay between my playing on the guitar and the sound from the speakers. When I rock the cc pedal and put it toe up again (that is " off/ 0%) then it is gone. I programmed many cc functions before and never had this. Of course I pressed " save" a million times after setting it " right" Normally I set the " off" to 5%, but raised it to see if the " toe up" wasn't far up enough or whatever. I had the same problem with this whammy in another setting. I deleted 2 blocks of effects to lower cpu usage, but that did not help. The problem in the other preset is a preset that uses 50% cpu. Can't share that preset becaust I bought it.
Anyone have a clue what is causing this? Oh btw, I had problems with my axe so 2 days ago I reset all system parameters and deleted all presets, then re-installed them. I do not know if the problem pre-existed.

Thanks, Harm

Attachments

• Petrucci REC 18.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
There is no Expression Pedal 5. It would help to know exactly what #5 this is. Is it External 5 or something else?

Hmm, maybe my understanding of technical terms is falling short here. I have a midi pedal with three expression (mission) pedals attached. They are in the axe 3 linked to external 1,2and 3. The midi controller can switch the midi numbers of the mission pedals, so switched they are recognised by the axe as nrs 4,5 and 6. ( I used the learn function). The mission known as nr 5 is as a modifier connected to the pitch block to do the sweep. Nose up is 0% or “off”. Nose down is 100% or better: the highes note in the whammy sweep. (It is set as the killing in the name whammy)

Kind regards, Harm

Hmm, maybe my understanding of technical terms is falling short here. I have a midi pedal with three expression (mission) pedals attached. They are in the axe 3 linked to external 1,2and 3. The midi controller can switch the midi numbers of the mission pedals, so switched they are recognised by the axe as nrs 4,5 and 6. ( I used the learn function). The mission known as nr 5 is as a modifier connected to the pitch block to do the sweep. Nose up is 0% or “off”. Nose down is 100% or better: the highes note in the whammy sweep. (It is set as the killing in the name whammy)

Kind regards, Harm
ok this helps clear it up. i'm not at my gear so i can't see the preset yet. i think someone would have to look at it specifically to see what's going on.

also just for future reference, typically pedal positions are known as Heel down (0%) or Toe down (100%). i did understand what you meant by Toe up, but it's usually called Heel down. it just took a bit of thinking to make sure that's what you meant.

ok this helps clear it up. i'm not at my gear so i can't see the preset yet. i think someone would have to look at it specifically to see what's going on.

also just for future reference, typically pedal positions are known as Heel down (0%) or Toe down (100%). i did understand what you meant by Toe up, but it's usually called Heel down. it just took a bit of thinking to make sure that's what you meant.

Thanks man!

Kind regards, Harm
That helps. As I understand it, you have three expression pedals transmitting MIDI CC# 4, 5 and 6. And these are used by your Axe-Fx as External 1, 2 and 3. Is that correct?

That helps. As I understand it, you have three expression pedals transmitting MIDI CC# 4, 5 and 6. And these are used by your Axe-Fx as External 1, 2 and 3. Is that correct?
i think his 3 pedals can be both External Controller 1, 2, 3, and also External Controller 4, 5, 6 if he uses that MIDI controller function. i'm guessing he means External Controller 5 for this particular case, but could be wrong.

i'm guessing something with the Auto-Engage isn't set optimally, or there is a delay set in the Pitch block or elsewhere. i'd have to see the preset when i get home.

Reactions: yek
i think his 3 pedals can be both External Controller 1, 2, 3, and also External Controller 4, 5, 6 if he uses that MIDI controller function. i'm guessing he means External Controller 5 for this particular case, but could be wrong.

i'm guessing something with the Auto-Engage isn't set optimally, or there is a delay set in the Pitch block or elsewhere. i'd have to see the preset when i get home.

You are correct. My pedal nr 2 doubles as nr 5. To be frank, the number is irrelevant for my question. The weird part it is that it only has this delay after firing up the axe. Then I fix it bij moving the pedal. Then when I switch presets and come back it is back again... I chechek everything I understand. Now it beyond my comprehension.

You are correct. My pedal nr 2 doubles as nr 5. To be frank, the number is irrelevant for my question. The weird part it is that it only has this delay after firing up the axe. Then I fix it bij moving the pedal. Then when I switch presets and come back it is back again... I chechek everything I understand. Now it beyond my comprehension.
yup. understood it's irrelevant to the issue if described correctly, but just checking that there isn't a misunderstanding of the concept, which could be the issue. i think we've determined it's not that at this point.

text-only help is difficult, and there are many variables that could produce an issue like this. just have to dot all the T's and cross all the I's ;)

yup. understood it's irrelevant to the issue if described correctly, but just checking that there isn't a misunderstanding of the concept, which could be the issue. i think we've determined it's not that at this point.

text-only help is difficult, and there are many variables that could produce an issue like this. just have to dot all the T's and cross all the I's ;)

Lol you are right of course. And I wasn’t expressing annoyment or anything. If it seemed that way I apologise. It was just difficult to figure out what to call it: cc pedal, modifier, expression pedal, external controller, etc. First thing we need to do, as you pointed out, is speak the same language.

Lol you are right of course. And I wasn’t expressing annoyment or anything. If it seemed that way I apologise. It was just difficult to figure out what to call it: cc pedal, modifier, expression pedal, external controller, etc. First thing we need to do, as you pointed out, is speak the same language.
yup all good. hope to get to this when i get home if no one figures it out first.

Hi All, This is the cooper carter preset that was eq'd by another member and I downloaded from the forum. I changed a few things. Now the curious part: I added a whammy. It is attached to cc pedal #5. When I turn on the axe fx and go to this preset there is a delay between my playing on the guitar and the sound from the speakers. When I rock the cc pedal and put it toe up again (that is " off/ 0%) then it is gone. I programmed many cc functions before and never had this. Of course I pressed " save" a million times after setting it " right" Normally I set the " off" to 5%, but raised it to see if the " toe up" wasn't far up enough or whatever. I had the same problem with this whammy in another setting. I deleted 2 blocks of effects to lower cpu usage, but that did not help. The problem in the other preset is a preset that uses 50% cpu. Can't share that preset becaust I bought it.
Anyone have a clue what is causing this? Oh btw, I had problems with my axe so 2 days ago I reset all system parameters and deleted all presets, then re-installed them. I do not know if the problem pre-existed.

Thanks, Harm
when you first Install the preset, or if you install, Save, then power cycle the axe so it loads this preset, there is a delay from when you hit the guitar to when the Axe outputs the sound.

it seems the cause of this is the Pitch block directly after In 1.

If i move an expression pedal connected to the Control parameter, or change the Pitch Tracking to OFF (it is set to Fast, and Smooth has the same delay), the delay disappears. note that Mix is 100%, so we're just hearing the processing of the Pitch block. if i never touch a pedal for Control, then set the Tracking to Off, the delay goes away, but if i put it back to Fast, the delay returns again. it seems that moving the pedal for Control "fixes" the issue until the next time i reboot the Axe.

it seems that on bootup, there is additional latency or something going on with the block set to Advance Whammy. i don't have time to try other Pitch types, but this report it is repeatable.

@FractalAudio any ideas?

@Harm the "Off" parameter in the Modifier screen is only effective when Auto-Engage is used. the preset does not have Auto-Engage used on the Whammy/Pitch block. that doesn't seem to be part of the issue or solution, but just wanted to share that.

when you first Install the preset, or if you install, Save, then power cycle the axe so it loads this preset, there is a delay from when you hit the guitar to when the Axe outputs the sound.

it seems the cause of this is the Pitch block directly after In 1.

If i move an expression pedal connected to the Control parameter, or change the Pitch Tracking to OFF (it is set to Fast, and Smooth has the same delay), the delay disappears. note that Mix is 100%, so we're just hearing the processing of the Pitch block. if i never touch a pedal for Control, then set the Tracking to Off, the delay goes away, but if i put it back to Fast, the delay returns again. it seems that moving the pedal for Control "fixes" the issue until the next time i reboot the Axe.

it seems that on bootup, there is additional latency or something going on with the block set to Advance Whammy. i don't have time to try other Pitch types, but this report it is repeatable.

@FractalAudio any ideas?

@Harm the "Off" parameter in the Modifier screen is only effective when Auto-Engage is used. the preset does not have Auto-Engage used on the Whammy/Pitch block. that doesn't seem to be part of the issue or solution, but just wanted to share that.

Thanks Chris. I did not know this about the “off” setting and I’ll use that for the future. (And correct it in other presets because I use it a lot.
Maybe weird, but I am glad you are having the same experience. I had troubles with the unit the first two weeks and hoped I solved it. If this would only happen to me The problem would be my unit. Now it’s not. Too bad there isn’t an easy fix.
Lets hope fractal chimes in with the golden touch.

Thank you very much for your time and effort!!

Harm

It's not just Advanced Whammy that has delay artifacts. Except for the Detune and Octave Divider types, all Pitch block types exhibit some sort of delay artifact. Sometimes it's a latency of around 100 ms. Sometimes it's a delayed repeat with the same delay time as the latency. When I cycle up through the types with the Up key, when i get back to Advanced Whammy, the issue resolves itself.

Confirming what @chris said: the issue only comes up when you import the preset or power up to it. If you just switch to it from another preset, there's no issue.

Good catch, @Harm .

Back
Top Bottom