Problem with the Axe-Fx II sound

Hi!

I've been using the Axe-Fx II for a long time in home studio recording and I'm very pleased with the quality of its sound. But not so long ago I started using it on live rehearsals to prepare for live performances. I’m plug it directly into the mixer with active PA active speakers Mackie SA1532Z (with cabinet and amp emulation in Axe-Fx II). Also I’m using my favorite Ownhammer IR’s.

I have a problem: a good balanced sound that I have at home in headphones and studio monitors at the rehearsal is produced with a lot of unpleasant high frequencies (sometimes low frequencies are also quite intrusive depending on IR). Despite the EQ adjustment in the Axe-Fx AMP block and high-frequency cut on the mixer EQ, I get quite an unpleasant sound through PA speakers.

I read a lot of feedback from users who praised the Axe-Fx for its good sound directly to the PA system. At the same time I can’t understand why I can’t adjust such sound with my Axe-Fx.

I would be grateful for your advice in the context of this problem.

Yes, human ears are more sensitive to bright tones and bass when the volume is loud. Your home presets are too bright for stage use. Turn down the various treble knobs in the amp model, and even high cut in the amp block. You can do this properly only at high volume so you hear accurately what you are doing.

The end result will sound a bit dark at quiet levels, but just right when LOUD!

(Or if you have mid cuts in the preset, delete those. They will make the tone not cut through and too bright&bassy.)

Hi!

I've been using the Axe-Fx II for a long time in home studio recording and I'm very pleased with the quality of its sound. But not so long ago I started using it on live rehearsals to prepare for live performances. I’m plug it directly into the mixer with active PA active speakers Mackie SA1532Z (with cabinet and amp emulation in Axe-Fx II). Also I’m using my favorite Ownhammer IR’s.

I have a problem: a good balanced sound that I have at home in headphones and studio monitors at the rehearsal is produced with a lot of unpleasant high frequencies (sometimes low frequencies are also quite intrusive depending on IR). Despite the EQ adjustment in the Axe-Fx AMP block and high-frequency cut on the mixer EQ, I get quite an unpleasant sound through PA speakers.

I read a lot of feedback from users who praised the Axe-Fx for its good sound directly to the PA system. At the same time I can’t understand why I can’t adjust such sound with my Axe-Fx.

I would be grateful for your advice in the context of this problem.

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2..._with_close-mic.27d_tones_and_Fletcher-Munson

It might be a good idea to look for another IR for live usage! This way you could eliminate those frequency issues. Also play with the Speaker Compression in the amp block. Then cut frequencies.

Best advice I can offer when going direct to a loud PA with tops and subs, is use a Parametric EQ right before or somewhere after your CAB block. Try the following Adjustments:

Freq 1 - Between 150 to 200 Hz, Frequency 1 type: Blocking
Freq 5 - Between 6000 to 8000, Frequency 1 type: Blocking
Freq 2 - 250 Hz, Q2 at 2 to 3, Gain 2 Between -3 to -6
Freq 4 - Between 3000 to 4000, Q4 a 2 to 3, Gain 4 Between -3 to -6

Depending on your taste and the sound you are going for, these can differ slightly, but it should be a good general starting point for a loud PA and carve out a nice space in a mix. Be sure to have you console/mixer channel that you're going direct to, be set with a flat EQ.

Ever hear the saying that a good guitar sound may sound like crap on it's own but sound great in a mix? Keep that in mind when trying these settings.

Presets for studio use will never translate exactly like u hear when recording vs playing live and loud. Crank your volume and retweak the presets and tighten things up after that by experimenting with a filter block after the cab block.

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here but the PA speakers are of utmost importance. Mid tier speakers will generally yield less than ideal results regardless of the modeler. The best bet is to dial your patch from scratch thru those monitors.

Thanks! I understand also that the aspect of IR's is still important. Will the Ownhammer impulses be good for live rig? I'm using Bogner cabs IR's (2x12 and 4x12). Or there are no specific rules?

Thanks! I understand also that the aspect of IR's is still important. Will the Ownhammer impulses be good for live rig? I'm using Bogner cabs IR's (2x12 and 4x12). Or there are no specific rules?

There are no specific rules.

Will a Fender guitar be good for a live rig? Will an Ibanez guitar be good for a live rig? Will a Gibson guitar be good for a live rig? Yes, yes and yes. It depends on what you like, and you are the only one who truly knows that. :)

If your presets sound great in your headphones and your studio monitors, you may want to check your PA. Try playing music through it that you really know and see if those same top end frequencies jump out at you. EQ your PA to sound more natural and your presets should translate wonderfully.

You can copy all your studio presets and alter them for live. Monitor through a PA if possible, or an FRFR monitor. Check presets at a loud volume. Small rooms will not give you a true bass frequency response. Some lows will be cancelled, and others accented. Be aware of that.

Or just start from scratch. My studio presets do not work live. But it makes sense that they don't for some of the reasons mentioned on this thread. Anything that sounds great on small speakers at lower volumes in a small room will probably not work loudly on larger speakers in a bigger room. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom