Problem with MIDI control/program change of Axe-Fx 3

Jeff_S_CT

Hi everyone,
I use a computer to send midi commands to my axe-fx3 to switch scenes and presets. It works, but I just can't make it seemless. I've created my presets and scenes so that when I strum a chord and then switch between scenes using the Nav buttons on the Axe-Fx, the switching is absolutely seemless. However, when I command scene changes using my computer, there's always a very annoying sound gap lasting about 10 ms to 50 ms between each switching (educated guess). Also, there's often a second gap occuring a couple seconds after the first one, making it all seem like some kind of a "hiccup" or "rebound".
As i plan on using this feature for live playing, this is really a problem.
Hence here is my question: Can this problem be solved or is it just the way things are when commanding an Axe-Fx using a computer ? Additional question: If this is a computer or DAW problem, would the use of a midi foot controller give any different result (in terms of the experienced midi latency) ?

I'm using Studio One 5 as my DAW and I haven't tried other DAWs.
Thanks a lot in advance !

Do you have your Axe Fx midi channel set to Omni? If so, don't... Pick a channel and use it.

Also, do you have Axe-Edit running? If so, pause it or close it.

I agree with Unix. I think you must have another issue going on. I switch presets and scenes using computer (Showbuddy) and also switch using Bome Translator and an APC mini-keypad. Also have the FC-12 footswitch and they all change about the same rate. The III takes longer to change presets than the legacy Ultra because it is loading more 'stuff' but scene changes are near transparent. At any rate, in my rig, it is totally usable.

Thanks a lot for your answers !
The midi channel from the DAW side is in fact set to omni, and on the Axe-Fx side I'll have to check. Anyways, I'll set everything to a single channel and let you know what happens.
Axe-edit is not running. I had already noticed that there would be gaps and that "hiccup" gap when axe-edit is open. Actually, the gaps i'm experiencing are very similar, (even though axe-edit is not running)

Ok I've set everyhting on midi channel 1 (both the axe-fx and my DAW) but unfortunately nothing has changed...
I've measured the sound gap I have, and it's 100 ms (which is very long).
By the way, I only use the Axe-fx III processor at 64 % and my daw buffer size is at 64 (so no perceptible latency on that side)
Any suggestions ?

Maybe you can also provide us with how you have the AxeFX connected to your computer? USB only? Are any hubs or anything else in the pathway? Hope you can get this sorted. Lee

Maybe you can also provide us with how you have the AxeFX connected to your computer? USB only? Are any hubs or anything else in the pathway? Hope you can get this sorted. Lee
My computer is connected by USB straight to the Axe-Fx, there's nothing in between. Is the type of USB port supposed to matter in this case ? (thanks Lee)

I use the "program change" function on Studio One 5, but I'm not sure that this answers your question... If not, could you guide me to where to find this information ?
Program Change is the answer I was looking for.

I've tested this many times in Logic and Live and never had any problems. Can anyone else here try it in Studio One 5?

I would guess you're sending more midi messages than you intend. Are you sure you are sending only a single PC event?

Back
Top Bottom