Problem with Ethercon cable

svl

Power User
Question for y'all- just bought a used MFC Mk1, and for some reason it won't work with the ethercon cable and Neutrik adapter/connectors. Powers the unit, but just get the "timeout" message.

Reason this is weird is because my other MFC Mk1 works just flawlessly with it (and has for the past couple years). The "new" used MFC works with midi, regular ethernet cable and through Faslink (in a couple configs- straight from my XL to the XA-2 connector, and from the XL into a short ethernet cable into the XA-1 which then connects via XLR to the XA-2 which then connects to the MFC via another short ethernet cable).

Switching the XL properly between disabled (midi), ethercon (ethernet & ethercon connecting) and Faslink in the I/O.

The cable is a Neutrik Ethercon Cat5e stranded cable- just noticed after looking up my receipt it's a 35 footer- could the extra 5 feet be the problem (FAS recommends 30, weird that I ordered a 35er and weirder still it works for one MFC Mk1 and not another)?

Any info is much appreciated.

Been there done that. It has to be the cable- like I said, I can get it to work with a Cat5 just fine, it's just the ethercon cabling that doesn't work.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion, in any event. :)

Can you remove the boot on the Ethercon cable?
Some can be removed so they can be used in standard RJ45 ports.

It sounds like the cable isn't going in far enough if its working with everything else. Are the pins in good condition?

As stated, ethercon cable works flawlessly with my other Mk1 MFC (and in any event the ethercon isn't going directly into the MFCs themselves, but into the Neutrik adapters for ethercon to ethernet connection). I've pretty much deduced it's gotta be the length of the cable with this MFC, can't figure any other reason. Will find out soon enough when i can grab another ethercon cable.

Thanks for all the responses.

Back
Top Bottom