Problem with completely outdated firmware

Hey guys,
I'm new to the Axe-fx and these forums, I have a problem that has been aggravating the hell out of me, would be amazing if someone could help me out.

So I bought an Ultra the other day from a guy who had supposedly barely used it since he got it, meaning the firmware is soooo old; 5.24.. I need to update it but I'm struggling
I'm having no luck connecting it to the old version of axe edit, though I accidentally downloaded the newer version for Axe-fx 2 first and it seemed to connect fine?
I'm only using an in/out midi - USB cable; do I need an interface to actually make the Ax talk to my pc?
I'm also not sure on what to set the Sysex ID to, maybe thats why?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers!

Given that your cable is healthy it should work for updating FW with an older AXE-EDIT version. Or is my Ultra knowledge even more outdated perhaps...

Given that your cable is healthy it should work for updating FW with an older AXE-EDIT version. Or is my Ultra knowledge even more outdated perhaps...

I read in a few threads that it was possible to update with just a midi cable so I'm hoping it'll work; any ideas on what the sysex ID should be so I know I at least have it set right before I'm forced to buy an interface?

Try via midi-ox or snooize... Not sure how you would set in snooize but in midi-ox sysex buffers are 256/16 or in rough cases 128/8 with pause on f5 for 60-90ms seems so work with the few midi interfaces I have tried.

I always used Borne's SendSx program (Release 1.22) to update my Axe Fx standard firmware. (Was using PC with Win XP and Creative Labs Soundblaster Live as midi interface at the time.

(Version history - Bome's Send SX - Bome Software - Freeware for sending and receiving any MIDI messages - SendSX - MIDI Monitor - Send SysEx - Send MIDI messages - SYSEX)

I now have PC with Windows 7 64bit, and use a M-Audio Midisport 2x2 Anniversary to connect to the Axe FX (with correct official M-Audio drivers installed), and have had no problems with large file transfers such as Bank back up from Axe Fx. (Firmware was update to final version 11.0 before I changed my PC).

The sysex ID changed at some time, I can't remember when. I may have it in the docs I compiled when I had a Standard, I'll check tonight. The 5.0x firmware definitively had the old sysex number.
Fractal Bot is compatible with the Ultra, but I'm not sure if it will recognize the old sysex ID.

Use any card that is NOT class compliant... class compliant has a sysex limit (1MB?) and when reached the update freeze.
As of software, I used MIDIOX.

Found it in the forum : the SysEx ID has changed from 00 00 7D to 00 01 74
check this thread for details : http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-std-discussion/29136-firmware-10-02-sysex-id-user-cabinets.html

Thanks so much for this, you are a legend!
My only other question is what should the "pre 10.02 Firmare 'decimal' ID" be for 5.24 ? When I type in the old sysex ID it changes the firmware id to 125, but I'm assuming that value is wrong for my version because I still can't get them talking?

Back
Top Bottom