problem with analog reamping

I am trying to reamp a mono DI I did not record myself. The project is in 44.1 kHz so I decided to go the analog route.

I’m doing something wrong though, because the signal fed back to my DAW does not sound nearly as good as what I monitor in the phones output on the axe fx ii. It's lacking high end and sounds muddy and noisy. No definition.

My routing is this:
Send: DI track in daw-> output of Apollo 8 interface - 1 trs/trs cable to left balanced input on back of Axe
Return: Axe fx balanced outputs are connected with 2 xlr to trs cables to two inputs on my Apollo.

I've been fiddling so much with this that for some reason audio is no longer coming into the Axe. Had to stop messing to go to work, but hopefully someone will have some advice so that I can get this done.

Global EQ maybe? I would also try using a pair of 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cables, if nothing else to rule them out as the issue.

I'll check, but I don't think I have any global parameters on.

Do you mean running trs-trs cables from the Axe outputs to the interface? But isn't the XLR outs the only balanced outputs? My head is getting screwy over all this balanced/unbalanced thing. I probably won't need the signal to be balanced running out of the Axe and back into the computer...?

I'll check, but I don't think I have any global parameters on.

Do you mean running trs-trs cables from the Axe outputs to the interface? But isn't the XLR outs the only balanced outputs? My head is getting screwy over all this balanced/unbalanced thing. I probably won't need the signal to be balanced running out of the Axe and back into the computer...?

Sorry, I misspoke because I was thinking the 1/4" outs were balanced as well but, they are not. So, a 1/4" TS to 1/4" TS cable would suffice as I was suggestion that as a troubleshooting step. I always check my cables and connections first out of habit, ymmv.

TRS cables are supposed to be balanced just like XLR. You just need to make sure you actually have TRS cables - see attached.

edit: Benefits of have a balanced signal - slightly better EMI/ Interference from other devices nearby. So, if you've got to make a long cable run from your interface to the AxeFx and the cable will need to travel near other electronic devices, then the balanced is going to benefit you there. If you are just making a short distance cable run, then you would probably never notice the difference.

Attachments

• TRS v. TS.jpeg
    TRS v. TS.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Okay. :)

As far as I can understand, the problem has to be either in some settings or with the output section. When I monitor through the Axe's phones output, I get a full and clear signal.

The XLR-TRS cables are brand new, just got them a few days ago. Can't rule out something wrong with them, but that's not my feeling... I'll see if I can test them on some other equipment later.

Can you describe in more detail what the difference in sound is. To compare apples to apples try to eliminate headphones - and try to compare the amped vs reamped through the same monitor system.

The reamped signal lacks high end. The low mids are muddy. Playing through the Apollo 8 into Cubase and out my monitors: Dynaudio BM5A's with the Dynaudio S9 sub.

I don't think it's the cables either but, it's really easy to check that usually and I like to rule out the easier stuff first and work my way up to the more involved work.

What about comparing the sound through headphones plugged into your interface with the headphones in the Axe?

I'm sure you've looked but, is everything set in your I/O menu?

I've compared the sound in headphones like that. It's staggering how different it sounds. I use Sennheiser 650HD headphones.

I've been going over the menu, but can't find anything thet sticks out as wrong to me... Nothing is clipping on the meters, either. I'll have another look at the menu when I get home.

Have you tried different interface inputs?

It shouldn’t matter but, what happens when your not reamping signal and just laying down fresh tracks?

No problems with the inputs in other situations. I'll try another input, if that doesn't work, then I'll just go the route of moving the tracks to another project and converting them to 48khz and reamping digitally. :) Thanks for all your advice!

Hi Guys,

I'm having an issue with reamping using my Axe Fx III. How can I connect Axe Fx III with an Y Jack insert cable to a mixing console's insert point? For some reason, I don't have output.....

Make sure the tracks in your daw are set up correctly. I was sending a stereo signal from my axe into reaper and had the output of the track set to mono and was not getting the full sound of my guitar. I didn't think to check the track settings and it was driving me nuts till I figured it out. I had to go back and record everything over again.

Back
Top Bottom