Problem Using Korg XVP-10 Pedal w. Axe Fx Pedal Jack

gspin

Hi guys,

I am having a problem using my Korg XVP-10 expression/volume pedal with my Axe Fx II. I am using a TRS cable out of the expression output into the Axe Fx's Pedal Jack. Calibrated the pedal.

I get a very fast response in the lowest range of the pedal and then very little or no changes in the last half or two-thirds. It seems like I get Midi 1-100 in the lowest 1/3 of the pedal which is not particularly useful. Swapped the TRS cable for a new one just in case, but no banana.

Any ideas as to what I am missing here? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

cheers

gspin

Since that pedal can be used as a volume pedal, it is probably equipped with audio/log taper potentiometer. Expression pedals used with the Axe-FX (and many other devices) need a linear resistance taper pot. Otherwise you get bizarre behavior like you are experiencing.

Hi guys,

I am having a problem using my Korg XVP-10 expression/volume pedal with my Axe Fx II. I am using a TRS cable out of the expression output into the Axe Fx's Pedal Jack. Calibrated the pedal.

I get a very fast response in the lowest range of the pedal and then very little or no changes in the last half or two-thirds. It seems like I get Midi 1-100 in the lowest 1/3 of the pedal which is not particularly useful. Swapped the TRS cable for a new one just in case, but no banana.

Any ideas as to what I am missing here? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

cheers

gspin
Thats the typical behaviour of a pedal with inverted polarity!
For some stupid reason, manufacturers can't decide for a standard... especially Keyboard manufacturers. Every company uses a different polarity for its products.

Open up the pedal and resolder the connections to the TRS jack.
You need to swap the TIP and RING connections, but leave the SLEEVE untouched!

Did that to one of my older Keyboard expression pedals aswell. After switching the polarity, it worked fine (actually, it worked better than some higher-priced expression pedals I own).

EDIT: if the pedal is new, I recommend simply returning it and trying a different one, cause opening the hardware usually results in a loss of warranty.

Last edited:
Thats the typical behaviour of a pedal with inverted polarity!
For some stupid reason, manufacturers can't decide for a standard... especially Keyboard manufacturers. Every company uses a different polarity for its products.

Open up the pedal and resolder the connections to the TRS jack.
You need to swap the TIP and RING connections, but leave the SLEEVE untouched!

Did that to one of my older Keyboard expression pedals aswell. After switching the polarity, it worked fine (actually, it worked better than some higher-priced expression pedals I own).

EDIT: if the pedal is new, I recommend simply returning it and trying a different one, cause opening the hardware usually results in a loss of warranty.

Many thanks for these suggestions. I may just return the Korg and look for another pedal with the correct polarity. Can you suggest a tried and trusted pedal for the Axe Fx?

cheers

gspin

Many thanks for these suggestions. I may just return the Korg and look for another pedal with the correct polarity. Can you suggest a tried and trusted pedal for the Axe Fx?

cheers

gspin
BUMP!!!
I'm having this same problem. Can someone direct us to a tried and true pedal to use with the Axe Fx 2?

Boss Ev5
Boss FV500L or H (exact same if using as expression)
Any normal Mission engineering pedal (not the line 6, rjm, etc specific versions)
M-Audio EXP

There are others too.

Back
Top Bottom