Problem updating to 3.03 Anyone seen this?

Tried updating a couple times tonight with no success. Have updated several times before with no hitch. This time it goes all the way through the update then the Axe II says it has excessive cpu usage. It reverts back to 3.00. Anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
Tried it again with a new download from Fractal support and get the same thing. It reads EXCESS CPU USAGE REDUCE LOAD . Like I stated, never had problems updating before now and do not know what load to reduce.

Tried setting it to the bypass preset. Now it never goes off AWAITING FILE display on Axe II even after pressing the update send button in the Axe Edit. I know the usb can communicate since I can change presets using the Axe Edit. I have to turn off power and back on to get the Awaiting file to go away from the utility screen. It just keeps going back into version 3.0, it does work as it did before I tried updating but really concerned it says excess cpu usage since I have not changed much from the original presets. Hope this makes sense to someone

Just curious....are you doing the update with Axe Edit? I've found using the Axe Edit software has been the method with the least amount of hassle. You probably already know this but I'll toss it out there just in case.

1. Download the firmware upgrade file from Fractal Audio Systems Support . (it's a zip file)

2. Unzip the zip file in a folder of your choice. i.e. 'My Documents>Fractal Axe FX>Firmware Upgrades'

3. Connect your Axe FX II to your computer via USB.

4. Launch the Axe Edit software and confirm you are connected by looking in the top header bar of Axe Edit and that 'Axe Edit - Status:' shows 'Axe-FX: II' and an ID number. If not, choose 'Settings>Audio/Midi Settings' and from the 'MIDI' tab under the MIDI Input and Output drop-down menus, choose 'AXE-FX II MIDI Out' and 'AXE-FX MIDI In' respectively.

5. Next, back up your Axe FX by choosing 'Settings>Sync and Backup'. Now you're ready to install the firmware upgrade.

6. In Axe Edit, click 'Settings>Update Firmware'.

7. Navigate to the upgrade file in the folder where you unzipped it in step 2 above. Select the file titled 'axefx2_3p03.syx' and click OK. You will be prompted to prepare the Axe FX for the file transfer. (Read the instructions)

8. From the front panel of the Axe FX II, select the 'Utility' button and use the 'Page' buttons to navigate to the 'Firmware' tab. Press the enter key of the front panel of the Axe FX.

9. Next, in Axe Edit, click 'Send' in the pop up window displayed in step 8 above.

10. Wait until the file transfer is complete. Do not interrupt the process. This should only take a couple minutes or so. Once the transfer is complete, click 'OK' in Axe Edit.

11. From the front panel of the Axe FX, press the 'Utility' button and navigate to the 'Reset' tab. Press 'Enter' to reset the system parameters. This resets certain parameters to factory default so if you made any changes to the I/O menu, such as 'Copy Output 1 to Output 2', you will need to reconfigure those settings.

12. Power off the Axe FX momentarily, and then power up again.

You're ready to rock!
All your presets should remain intact, ready for unrivaled entertainment.

Last edited:
Wow. I used to use SysEx librarian for my updates and had to wait ... wait ... wait. I just used the above tutorial for my update and it was done in less than a minute! Thanks!!!

Using Axe-Edit, mine locked up on the Axe-FX screen at the end of "verifying" this time. After waiting forever, I turned it off and back on, and it showed as 3.03.

I still updated a second time just to be sure. The second time went without a hitch.

I used all the steps mentioned above. I have one of the early Axe II units so I have already done several updates on it with no issues before. I have tried it over a dozen times now using differerent usb cables, reloaded Axe Edit. The strange thing is all works as it should except the update. Axe Edit works and changes presets just get errors trying to update. Now it just keeps saying awaiting file when you hit send in Axe Edit like its not talking to each other. Stopped for tonight since its getting me frustrated.

The options "AXE-FX II MIDI Out' and 'AXE-FX MIDI In' " aren't present and I can't figure out how to connect the AXE-FX II to my PC. I did install the drivers. Is it possible that if the PC is a Pentium IV it won't work? I have XP, SP3.

The options "AXE-FX II MIDI Out' and 'AXE-FX MIDI In' " aren't present and I can't figure out how to connect the AXE-FX II to my PC. I did install the drivers. Is it possible that if the PC is a Pentium IV it won't work? I have XP, SP3.
I'm on a Mac so my experience with Axe Edit and a PC is limited to helping my buddy with his Axe II and a PC. I found that with an older PC, installing the v1.5 driver was a little fickle. It took a couple tries before Windows was happy with the driver install. You need to be sure you're running the v1.5 driver and USB 2.0.

Some older computers may still be running USB 1.0 which can cause some grief. You need a computer with USB 2.0 for it to comply with Fractal minimum requirements.

You may want to try a couple different sequences when starting things up. Perhaps booting the PC, connecting the USB cable, turning on the Axe FX, and then launching Axe Edit.

If you can get your hands on another computer to try, that may help isolate the issue. It's no big deal to install Axe Edit and cable up with a USB cable. I wish I had your answer.

I used all the steps mentioned above. I have one of the early Axe II units so I have already done several updates on it with no issues before. I have tried it over a dozen times now using differerent usb cables, reloaded Axe Edit. The strange thing is all works as it should except the update. Axe Edit works and changes presets just get errors trying to update. Now it just keeps saying awaiting file when you hit send in Axe Edit like its not talking to each other. Stopped for tonight since its getting me frustrated.
Lizzie:
If you could get your hands on another computer to load up Axe Edit and try the install, that would help you isolate the issue to the computer or the Fractal unit. Sounds like you've tried everything else that would make any sense.

Yea Big Joe Daddy, all thats left is trying another computer which I will try latter today. It puzzles me since there has been a update almost every month it seems and I have used the same computer to do all the others. It is a fairly new computer running Windows 7 and all the latest software, hardware devices you can get on a laptop at the moment. Part of me is not that worried since I am happy with running 3.0 but if there is a great update in the future that comes out I need this resolved. I looked back at the past updates that I keep in a file and do not see a 3.02 did I miss one? I would not think that even if one was missed you would have to load it first but do not know for sure

I would also try disabling the midi input.

I use MidiOx with Windows 7 64 bit.

It never has an issue upgrading firmware if I use only the Axe Fx II Midi Out and don't enable the midi in.

With midi in enabled, I get about a 50% failure rate. And I have MidiOx set to the recommended settings in the firmware release notes.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom