Problem Solved: Massively confused and need help

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
Coming from MFC101. I have the Axe Fx III and the FC-6.

Here's what I'm trying to do.
  • Have each of the 6 buttons do the 1st 6 presets
  • Then long hold on the top right button to bank up
  • Then program the next 6 buttons to be presets 6-12....so on and so forth.
Using Axe Fx III editor and see how to set up the first 6 and also set up the bank hold up 1. But then when I go to bank 2 it just renames 1-6 presets. Scratching head as to how to do this. Appreciate any guidance.

Following. I thought I knew the answer as to why that wouldn't work, but I'll wait to see if someone more experienced says what I was about to say before I put my foot in my mouth lol!

(edit: the short version is that bank up does not refer to internal FC banks; you're talking about layouts).

2nd Edit: Apparently I'm completely wrong, based on further replies; it seems bank DOES refer to more footswtiches within the FC. Sorry, guys, my bad :)

Last edited:
Following. I thought I knew the answer as to why that wouldn't work, but I'll wait to see if someone more experienced says what I was about to say before I put my foot in my mouth lol!

(edit: the short version is that bank up does not refer to internal FC banks; you're talking about layouts).

I thought something this simple would be easy. But I'm at a loss here! ;-)

Uggh....so frustrated and have to get going. I don't understand how something this simple is taking me an hour and no go still. Truly thought this would be plug and play with minimal setup for this easy configuration.

Make the top right long hold go to layout 2. Make layout 2 be presets 7-12, and so on. But yeah, like I said; there is no "bank up" function in the way that you're referring to - unless I'm also mistaken, which is possible. I'm quite surprised no one else has chimed in already lol!

Your Hold function on the #6 switch should be set up as Bank Inc/Dec +1, and make sure that your bank size is set to 6. For info on the Bank Inc/Dec thing, check out the FC manual page 25, and bank size info is found on page 24- to set bank size, go to Setup/Foot Controllers/Config on the AF3 (not sure if this in in Axe Edit- I'm not in front of my machine-) and set your bank size to 6. I think this should do it, but again, I'm not in front of my machine, so apologies in advance if this doesn't work.

Change your foot switches to this. (From the manual)

PRESET: SELECT IN BANK
Creates a footswitch that dynamically maps to a preset within a Bank (see p. 24). Using Select in Bank switches together with Bank Up and Bank Down mimics the way other Fractal Audio products provide access to hundreds of presets with minimal programming.

Your Hold function on the #6 switch should be set up as Bank Inc/Dec +1, and make sure that your bank size is set to 6. For info on the Bank Inc/Dec thing, check out the FC manual page 25, and bank size info is found on page 24- to set bank size, go to Setup/Foot Controllers/Config on the AF3 (not sure if this in in Axe Edit- I'm not in front of my machine-) and set your bank size to 6. I think this should do it, but again, I'm not in front of my machine, so apologies in advance if this doesn't work.
Ya both of these are set to this. Hold Up +1 and Hold own -1 and bank size is 6. It flashes the new bank number - number but then doesn't change the presets or allow me to save new presets to those. It just rewrites the first bank of 6 patches.

It sounds like you are thinking about banks as a separate place to store presets on the FC-6. Banks are strictly a division of the sequentially ordered presets in the Axe FX 3. You aren't going to be able to save new presets to banks - instead you need to order them on the Axe depending on which virtual bank you want them to end up in.

It sounds like you are thinking about banks as a separate place to store presets on the FC-6. Banks are strictly a division of the sequentially ordered presets in the Axe FX 3. You aren't going to be able to save new presets to banks - instead you need to order them on the Axe depending on which virtual bank you want them to end up in.
No I just want my banks to work as followed. Set bank size to 6 and have Bank 1 be presets 1-6, Bank 2 be presets 7-12....and so on. Are you telling me this can't be done??? If so I'd be flabbergasted

No I just want my banks to work as followed. Set bank size to 6 and have Bank 1 be presets 1-6, Bank 2 be presets 7-12....and so on. Are you telling me this can't be done??? If so I'd be flabbergasted
It can be done. I think you're both saying the same thing. ;)

Sure you can - it wasn't clear what you meant by being unable "to save new presets to those." When you use the "select in bank" function, you don't have to keep programming switches for each bank. It will basically just load the preset number set on the switch multiplied by the bank size.

What do you want to happen when you go to the 2nd bank (instead of renaming the previous 6 presets?) Presumably it's relabeling the mini displays to the next 6 in the Axe FX 3, right? At that point, the tap function of each switch would be set to "select in bank", each one set to presets 1 thru 6.

Sure you can - it wasn't clear what you meant by being unable "to save new presets to those." When you use the "select in bank" function, you don't have to keep programming switches for each bank. It will basically just load the preset number set on the switch multiplied by the bank size.

What do you want to happen when you go to the 2nd bank (instead of renaming the previous 6 presets?) Presumably it's relabeling the mini displays to the next 6 in the Axe FX 3, right? At that point, the tap function of each switch would be set to "select in bank", each one set to presets 1 thru 6.
I have the bank size set to six with the +1 and -1......but it wont load the next 6 when I go to that bank. What am I not getting? Sorely confused.

2 hours now spent on trying to to this basic thing. I give up......
I have it setup this exact same way.
As said previously:
Make sure your bank size is set to 6
(In my case bank inc / dec buttons are 3 and 6) Set them respectively to bank inc and dec for the hold function.
You're done.

Is beta 5 ver #2 messing this up? I've been using Fractal for 12 years and never had this hard of a time with things. FC-6 is ver 1.04

I have it setup this exact same way.
As said previously:
Make sure your bank size is set to 6
(In my case bank inc / dec buttons are 3 and 6) Set them respectively to bank inc and dec for the hold function.
You're done.
They are set to 6

I'm running the same firmwares and have my FC-12 set up to do this same thing on one of the layouts. Haven't noticed any problems.

What did you mean by the presets being renamed when you changed banks? It sounded like you were on the right track.

I'm running the same firmwares and have my FC-12 set up to do this same thing on one of the layouts. Haven't noticed any problems.

What did you mean by the presets being renamed when you changed banks? It sounded like you were on the right track.

On the MFC101....bank 1 I could choose presets 1-10(set up for 10 per bank)....I go to bank 2 and I could select the next 10 presets.

On the FC6 I want the same accept in presets of 6 per bank. I bank up to next bank and labels don't change at all. If I rename them for the next 6, they just make the bank 1 six presets renamed!!!! I feel like I'm being punked!

Back
Top Bottom