Problem getting Wah and Whammy assigned to a switch

wknight2

Inspired
OK, a few hours have gone by and I'm stumped. I read the wiki on setting up an IA to toggle an expression pedal between a wah and whammy, but can't get it to work.

I'm running an Ultra and MFC-101, latest firmware, and Axe-Edit latest version.

On the MFC101, I'd like IA13 (the switch between parameter <right> and enter) to be a toggle. I'd like to default to autoengage wah, and when I hit the switch, my expression pedal is now a whammy, hitting the switch switches it back.

I have a mission EP1 in Expression Pedal 1 of the MFC for volume, and another EP1 in Expression Pedal 2 for Wah.

Oddly, the patches where wah is working, I need to have it using External 2? But whatever, the wah works on my patches.

So, I followed the Wiki step by step. In the Mixer set up External 8. On the MFC101, set IA13 to NONE for effect and CC#23 (which the IO menu on the Axe shows to be External 8.

When I hit the patch, I get no sound at all. Nothing.

Can anyone help???? Thanks in advance. Attached is the test patch I made.

View attachment 4082

You have to turn the feedback return mix up (just set to 100%) for it to output the signal that arrived at the send block. Your preset is also missing a connection from amp to cab and needs the wah moved or mixer assignments changed (pitch/wah are in rows 1 & 3 but you have gain 1 & 2 set to the external in the mixer).

The problem is that the MIX on your RETURN is set to 0%.
Needs to be 100% in this config.

The wah is also in the wrong row-- move it to #2

Also, your AMP is not connected to your CAB.

By the way, your delay and reverb are set up in a non-optimal way. You are running them in parallel with part-dry mix.
Better to set the DELAY to 100% WET, lower its LEVEL (-12db?) and change its BYPASS MODE to MUTE IN..

Last edited:
Wow, you guys are awesome. Can't believe I missed connecting the amp block <doh> I made all the changes listed.

OK, now I have sound.

When I first switch to the patch, the wah is on, working properly. If I hit the switch, it is off, but the whammy doesn't seem to do anything.
When I hit the patch, the led is off, when I hit the switch, it goes on. I'm assuming this is correct?

Guess I still have work to do. Any more thoughts?
Thanks again in advance to everyone.

What a pain switching the MIDI cables back and forth between the MFC101 and the Firepod over and over. So much so I just ordered a midi-merger.

Last edited:
Did you intend to leave pitch mix at 25%? If you're expecting a 100% pitched sound that's the issue. The shift should still be pretty obvious if you hold a note and move the pedal though.

That was it! Moved it to 100% and all is working! Thank you!

On minor question: When I engage the whammy, it appears as if the pedal travels a bit before anything happens (which I would expect with autoengage), but instead of a smooth transition downward in pitch, there is an initial jump down in pitch (once it does engage) before smoothing out the rest of the way down and back up again. Can anything be done about that?

If that's an issue you might want to disable autoengage. There's one way to sort of work around it with advanced whammy mode: set start & end to +1 and -12 then set up a bypass modifier so it engages exactly at 0 shift. The downside is there will be an audible artifact from the quick crossfade when it engages/disengages.

Back
Top Bottom