Problem - Friedman ASM-12 in stereo

Thomas Obester

Experienced
Hi Guys,
I am happy owner of ASM-12 for over a year now. A few days back I have bought a second one, brand new.
I am using them pole mounted. What I have found is very weird. The new one is much more pleasing sounding.
What I mean by that is that the new one is much more focused, tighter, clearer. The difference between old and a new one is like a flubby recto vs tight friedman. I am using the same cables, monitors are set at exactly same height. Low cut is enabled on both monitors. I also tried to switch the low cut off on both to see if maybe one of them is wired incorrectly. At the moment I have no idea what could be the cause. I have always thought that my first asm sounded great but after receiving a new one, I am not so happy now. It´s hard to tweak the sound if one has overbearing bass and another one is tight..Any suggestions ? I´m using AXE AX8 in mode L+R SUM, not stereo...maybe this is the problem ? thanks in advance

Attachments

• asm.jpg
    asm.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Have you tried swapping the cables in the back of the ASMs? I.e. unplug the one the sounds flubby and plug its cable into the new ASM.

Also, I think new speakers have to wear themselves in when you get them, but what you are saying sounds a bit extreme so I'm not sure it is that.

Have you tried swapping the cables in the back of the ASMs? I.e. unplug the one the sounds flubby and plug its cable into the new ASM.

Also, I think new speakers have to wear themselves in when you get them, but what you are saying sounds a bit extreme so I'm not sure it is that.
Hi, yes, I did exactly that, but sound is still the same. I also think new one needs some time to be broken in. But the new one is nice and tight, so I don´t want to be looser over time :)

Definitely sounds like the speaker then. Was your first ASM bought brand new as well? Or was it second hand?

I'd email Friedman and ask if there have been any production changes that would explain the sound difference. If there are and you prefer the newer one, you could buy a second new one and sell the original.

If they were able to improve upon the design in any way it kind of implies the previous version was inferior? I don't see anything wrong with that. Lot's of companies come out with a version 2 or Mark II etc ;-)

Last edited:
you never know, it might have a different speaker in it. this happened to me when i bought two marshall 1x12's. the store i purchased them from were happy to switch out the speaker i didn't like and replace it.

If they were able to improve upon the design in any way it kind of implies the precious version was inferior? I don't see anything wrong with that. Lot's of companies come out with a version 2 or Mark II etc ;-)
Except they didn't advertise the change (if there was one) as a version 2 or Mark II. They obviously chose not to disclose for a reason they thought was necessary, so if they were to disclose it it'd be a change of behavior.

My AX8 and two Friedman ASM-12 Monitor stereo setup sounds great. I don't sum to mono. Maybe you are experiencing a phase issue? I don't believe any of the specs have changed. Dave has been busy releasing several new products. You can email him directly to confirm, and his live chat is very helpful.

Last few days I am experiencing even worse behavior of my older ASM (flubby one)..It is starting to resonating internally in a bad way when playing even at low/moderate levels (70-90 dbs)
Also even when plugging to grid with cable, it sounds like the monitor is going to make short circuit, (I have tried 4 differenent cables and all the cables works ok with other ASM).

I think there´s no other way but to send it for check/repair.
Did any of you guys had that problem ever with your ASM ?

Last few days I am experiencing even worse behavior of my older ASM (flubby one)..It is starting to resonating internally in a bad way when playing even at low/moderate levels (70-90 dbs)
Also even when plugging to grid with cable, it sounds like the monitor is going to make short circuit, (I have tried 4 differenent cables and all the cables works ok with other ASM).

I think there´s no other way but to send it for check/repair.
Did any of you guys had that problem ever with your ASM ?

Did you ever figure this out?

Did you ever figure this out?
I sold them and bought real friedman 4x12 with speaker of my choice (2x. celetion alnico creams on top + 2x redbacks on the bottom).
I am using this with fryette ps-2 and the sound is godly.
No rattle, loud as I want it to be and sounds are simply on the next level.
I recommend this setup, as it´s the best sound quality possible (I tried everything). :)

Back
Top Bottom