Problem: Controlling Axe-Fx via VG-99/FC-300 Midi Thru

A to the T

Experienced
I have program changing working (up untill 100) with Display Offset = 1 (since Axe-Fx preset starts at 000 and VG starts at 001)

I can also control some parameters via the CC# messages however I can't seem to disengage some of them and some won't stay on without holding down a controller.

Case in point:

I set both units to MIDI Channel #1
I set up the CTL1 button (TX CC#15) on the VG-99
I set up Tuner in the I/O / CTRL section of the Axe-FX to #15 as well

Now, when I press CTL1 on the VG-99 the Tuner flashes on and off. Basically, I have to hold the CTL1 button down in order to use the tuner.
I did the same by mapping VG-99 CTL2 CC#13 to Axe-FX Bypass Control and when I press my CTL2 button on the VG-99 the Axe Bypass comes on but then I can't get it to turn off....

I think the limitation is with the VG but I can't be sure. The ultimate goal was to map my FC-300 CTL and Expression Pedals to CC#'s that would control the WAH etc.. in the Axe..

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I may have missed something in either manual...

Thanks,
AT.

Sounds like it's the controller that's giving you trouble. It's set up to send a CC On message when you stomp the switch and send a CC Off message when you release the switch. In other words, it's acting like a momentary switch instead of a latching switch (latching switches send the On message when you stomp, but they dont send the Off message until you stomp again. I don't know the VG-99, so I don't know whether you can change that behavior. Sounds like a question for the manual. :)

Yes, you're right. The VG-99 annd FC-300 in proprietary RRC2 SYS EX mode will only send momentary CC's. Design flaw.
My only way around it was to put the FC-300 into Standard Mode and configure the CTL and EXP's manually with CC's but at least I have the axe working with the FC-300 now and connect it straight to the Axe with a Midi cable. It's still being powered by the CAT5 cable to my VG as well.

Back
Top Bottom