Probing Output Signal From AXE FX 2 XL Plus (Oscilloscope)

AndrewKirkland

Inspired
I am curious how to probe the output signal from my axe fx 2 xl plus using an Oscilloscope. Any tips? Line output? Where should I put the ground and where should I probe to get signal? How much voltage will this signal be? (Where to set voltage division) I am only doing this for fun/seeing the signal. Basically what is the safest way to do this.

Basically you can take a mono plug and solder a wire to each lug, and plug into one of the 1/4" jacks on the rear of the AxeFX (make sure you set the output to the same as where you plug in your plug. Hook your o-scope probe to the wire connected to the center lug of the plug and ground to the other wire from the plug. I don't know the correct divisions (as a pre-amp, it won't be super huge), but use the same protocol as when working on an amp, and set to the largest V/div and work back to the point where you see the amplitude level of value. Have fun!

Lee

Depending on your scope leads, easiest way is just to clamp to the tip and sleeve of an instrument cable connected to the output. Tip is hot, sleeve is ground. Axe output is low impedance, pro/studio line level (+4 dBu or 1.228 volts RMS) nominal. Actual voltage will depend on grid levels and front panel output knob settings. Per the manual, maximum output level is +20 dBu or 7.746 volts RMS. You can use the synth block as a fixed wave (sine, triangle, square, etc.) signal generator for more stable output waves on the scope too.

Last edited:
I would have thought that anyone capable of using an oscilloscope would already have a good idea regarding the answer to this question. So if safety is your main concern my advice would be to let someone else with a more informed idea do it.

Last edited:
Depending on your scope leads, easiest way is just to clamp to the tip and sleeve of an instrument cable connected to the output. Tip is hot, sleeve is ground. Axe output is low impedance, pro/studio line level (+4 dBu or 1.228 volts RMS) nominal. Actual voltage will depend on grid levels and front panel output knob settings. Per the manual, maximum output level is +20 dBu or 7.746 volts RMS. You can use the synth block as a fixed wave (sine, triangle, square, etc.) signal generator for more stable output waves on the scope too.
Thank you for taking the time to tell me the RMS voltage! And how to use the synth block as a signal generator! I appreciate passing the knowledge on. Unlike others on this forum.

With all due respect, if you don't know anything about the subject...and it seems that you don't...you could either refrain from the topic, or research it before you post. You couldn't kill a fly scoping a low voltage output like he's trying to do, with an Oscilloscope. You could poke around all day and the worst you'd do, is perhaps short the output...if you were stupid enough to physically do that...and even that wouldn't hurt you...

That he's got a scope and is asking, would indicate that he has more knowledge than you think regarding this subject...so the likelyhood of him even shorting the output - I'd say is slim to none.

With all due respect, if you don't know anything about the subject...and it seems that you don't..

Wrong, I have a HNC in Electronic Engineering

. . . you could either refrain from the topic, . . .

But it was okay for you to chip in then ? I didn't notice anything constructive for the OP from yourself.

Anyway, that's the last from me on this, goodbye.

Back
Top Bottom