Probably the most interesting guitarist today

I don’t know if I’d call her interesting. I mean she has sweep picking down, and the synth tones she was using were unconventional, but it sounds like her version of Nintendo music.

Which IMO at this point is old and tired as hell, which is why these folks choose to blaze their own path. That's just not the kind of music they play. I'm not sure why they even agreed to come out. Next to Satch and Gilbert even Vai looks like a bit of an amateur.
They were probably obligated to as they are also Ibanez artists...

Very good, yes of course. So are a zillion others, especially those from Asia. They have taken to the guitar like nobody's business.
It is amazing to see and hear imho. Large part of the reason I enjoy surfing Youtube. You find some cool players, like this guy!

Very good, yes of course. So are a zillion others, especially those from Asia. They have taken to the guitar like nobody's business.
It is amazing to see and hear imho. Large part of the reason I enjoy surfing Youtube. You find some cool players, like this guy!
He's from Texas, not Asia :)

Another interesting young player is Mateus Asato, from Brazil. Just amazing musicality and chops. Unusual. Not boring to listen to. I've discovered him through his collaboration with Polyphia - there's hardly any of his music available on the streaming services, you'll find more on YouTube. Same with Jason Richardson. He won't be everyone's cup of tea for sure, but I like what he does.

Another interesting young player is Mateus Asato, from Brazil. Just amazing musicality and chops. Unusual. Not boring to listen to. I've discovered him through his collaboration with Polyphia - there's hardly any of his music available on the streaming services, you'll find more on YouTube. Same with Jason Richardson. He won't be everyone's cup of tea for sure, but I like what he does.

Hey Plexi59. I agree 100%.
Check out this jam at Namm 2020. Takes a minute or 2 for them to get really cookin but just 2 great players.............

Which IMO at this point is old and tired as hell, which is why these folks choose to blaze their own path. That's just not the kind of music they play. I'm not sure why they even agreed to come out. Next to Satch and Gilbert even Vai looks like a bit of an amateur.
agree to an extent...but being able to improvise is being able to improvise. not a knock on them, it's obviously not what they do and they are amazing at what they do, but i do admire those that can feel their way through something rather than being married to something that's predetermined.

there's also stylistic elements at play, if it was their type of music they'd probably play fare better

but being able to improvise is being able to improvise
Reading your posts, I get the feeling you're writing "improvise" but what you mean is "improvise in a way that I connect with and identify as being appropriate" -- their style, and thus improvisation approach, are definitely different from everyone else that was up on that stage. Some may like it, some may not, but that's the joy on spontaneously creating music. You never now what you'll get when you mix different approaches and ideas like that.

My interpretation of your writing, I believe, was confirmed by this statement:

there's also stylistic elements at play, if it was their type of music they'd probably play fare better
"Their type of music" though is what ever they play. It's improvisation; there aren't any rules. This is all about people wanting a set of rules imposed upon them and then being unhappy when they don't follow this oddly specific, but unspecified, rule set they've made up. "They didn't play like Satch! It didn't fit the way Gilbert's riffing fit!" -- eh? Who wants to hear the same thing five different ways? Give me someone who's willing to take a chance and take me some place new. That whole "outside jam" concept that Scofield, Metheny, McLaughlin and Di Meola have lauded for decades now is a fantastic way to understand how to push boundaries in musical improvisation.

Good reading:

The amount of blasting these kids have taken (not just from this jam video) is pretty ridiculous. Don't get me started on the boneheaded objectifying of Nita Strauss either.

I'm generally not one to suggest you need to be able to do what someone else does on the instrument to have an opinion on it. But there's a fine line. At the end of the day these kids are trading solos with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Paul Gilbert. More than most will ever achieve. They earned it. Hats off to them.

Thankfully, they all also seem to be professional and don't pay it much mind.

Hey Plexi59. I agree 100%.
Check out this jam at Namm 2020. Takes a minute or 2 for them to get really cookin but just 2 great players.............

Yeah these two guys are phenomenal. I've been a fan for a while now. Not to knock the guy in the OP cause he is technically amazing but it sounded like a programed or sequenced piece of music to me. Again, an amazing tactician in that clip.

Asato is also versatile. I've seen a video of him doing straight up shred as well, with flawless hand synchronization and right hand technique. That's sort of like Picasso: verifiably can paint super technical stuff, but chooses not to. But I'd say musically he's less accessible to the layperson. A guitarist's guitarist. Fine with me!

Reading your posts, I get the feeling you're writing "improvise" but what you mean is "improvise in a way that I connect with and identify as being appropriate" -- their style, and thus improvisation approach, are definitely different from everyone else that was up on that stage. Some may like it, some may not, but that's the joy on spontaneously creating music. You never now what you'll get when you mix different approaches and ideas like that.

My interpretation of your writing, I believe, was confirmed by this statement:

"Their type of music" though is what ever they play. It's improvisation; there aren't any rules. This is all about people wanting a set of rules imposed upon them and then being unhappy when they don't follow this oddly specific, but unspecified, rule set they've made up. "They didn't play like Satch! It didn't fit the way Gilbert's riffing fit!" -- eh? Who wants to hear the same thing five different ways? Give me someone who's willing to take a chance and take me some place new. That whole "outside jam" concept that Scofield, Metheny, McLaughlin and Di Meola have lauded for decades now is a fantastic way to understand how to push boundaries in musical improvisation.

Good reading:

yeah you're not understanding me, but that's fine. I'm a fan of these guys and their music and think they are great composers/guitarists. They just don't seem comfortable playing outside of that. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to be 1/2 as good as they are.

Nobody is comfortable playing outside their own style though. As a rock guitarist I'm pretty sure my attempts at a jazz solo would be extremely cringe-worthy to someone who appreciates jazz.

yeah you're not understanding me, but that's fine. I'm a fan of these guys and their music and think they are great composers/guitarists. They just don't seem comfortable playing outside of that. Nevertheless, I'd be happy to be 1/2 as good as they are.
I totally could have also misread you. My apologies.

Back
Top Bottom