Probably stupid question- but How does the Tone Matching work?

Lkdog

Power User
Have browsed through some of the threads about Tone and AMP matching......could be an incredible feature on an already world class piece of gear.

I probably missed it, but how does the clip of the amp or tone you want matched get into the AX FX II for processing and ultimate matching?
Via the USB connection using the AXE as a soundcard?

Sorry of this is a basic question already addressed.

It's probably similar to the existing procedure for capturing a speaker IR (see documentation that comes with firmware release). This uses Input 2 Left as the source with a mic connected through a mic preamp (most mixers and some audio interfaces with mic inputs have acceptable mic preamps - just route the mic input to an output and connect that output to the Axe). For Amp Matching you would use a mic and mic preamp, for Tone Matching I assume the audio source would be connected to Input 2 Left. I don't think there has been any comment yet on USB as a source.

That's even MORE incredible and convenient :eek:

I can't begin to thank you guys enough!

Does the source track need to be dry or can it have FX? For example, while we are Alex Lifeson's tone, take The Spirit of Radio using the Electric Mistress Flanger in the intro/chorus If you tone match that tone, will it match the flanger sound or just the general tone (I'm assuming a Hiwatt).

Now how would we go about this though having to find a raw signal? For instance, If I took an instrumental that I LOVED the tone for but couldnt find the single guitar track

Does the source track need to be dry or can it have FX? For example, while we are Alex Lifeson's tone, take The Spirit of Radio using the Electric Mistress Flanger in the intro/chorus If you tone match that tone, will it match the flanger sound or just the general tone (I'm assuming a Hiwatt).

The track being matched can have effects but they will alter the eq curve to some degree. Matching is based on eq algorithms so once you have matched and tweaked as needed to say fine tune a tone that may have been heavily effected you can add those effects to replicate the tone. At least this is my basic understanding.

Many people think the intro to The Spirit Of Radio is a flanger. It is actually a phaser. A flanger is used on the intro to Freewill.
Get your Rush facts straight!! Lol

Many people think the intro to The Spirit Of Radio is a flanger. It is actually a phaser. A flanger is used on the intro to Freewill.
Get your Rush facts straight!! Lol

Man of willowdale: Even as the Necromancer approaches, you are correct. The tone is a phaser, and it was not recorded direct as I thought it was - the direct tone was a tone later in the song.

You know your Rush. Now run, for his dread powers are descending on you and By-Tor is nowhere to be found.

NOTE: Sorry to the OP for going OT. It's NOT a stupid question. I have the exact same question and so do many other people here. We've been given partial information in the form of a little here, a little there, but no one definitive answer. Originally "Tone Matching" and "Amp Matching" were described as being two separate things. Now it sounds like they're intertwined (to me at least).

When the 6.0 firmware is released we'll have all our answers. If the beta testers find few or no bugs it could be very soon IMO.

Last edited:
I think your should get your facts straight. It is not a Maestro PS1-a Phase Shifter (as used in 2112)(Note, I have three of these units in my studio) or other model phaser on The Spirit of Radio. It's either an Eventide unit (set on flanger, not stun) for the studio track and live an Electric Mistress, same as on Freewill. Many Lifeson interviews confirm this. If it is a phaser, which please let me know which one?

Quote of Alex Lifeson from Guitar Player 2002M February 2002.

"I played my '78 Strat that I modified by putting a Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge. The flange came from an Eventide unit, and I used two Marshall2x12 combos. In the second verse we blended a direct-recorded Strat to add some spikiness."

Apology accepted.

Don't mess with Zoidberg!

I've been wanting to know what the heck Alex used on TSOR since I first heard it in 1980 (First Rush I purchased on release). I bought a Deluxe Electric Mistress in 1982 and while it sounded great, it didn't nail the studio version and live Alex used the green one which has different chips and slightly different circuit. (Note, after using Capo to slow the track down, I also realized this year that I've been playing it wrong for 30 years!). Anyway, using the wonders of this thing we call the Internet, I found Terry Brown's web site and posed the question. I want to put this matter to rest, forever.

Last edited:

"I played my '78 Strat that I modified by putting a Bill Lawrence humbucker in the bridge. The flange came from an Eventide unit, and I used two Marshall2x12 combos. In the second verse we blended a direct-recorded Strat to add some spikiness."

Apology accepted.

Wrong. Check the Apple Garageband Lifeson Spirit lesson and hear Alex talk about the phaser intro. There has been lots of confusion over this but even Terry Brown confirmed that it was indeed a phaser used. I even spoke to Tony Geranios"Jack Secret" about this way back in 1983 at the Hollywod Sportatorium in Hollywood Florida on the Signals tour.

Don't argue with me on Rush facts, you will lose!! lol

Apology accepted.

It's really nothing to get hostile about. Why don't you take willowdale out back and give him a good ass kicking? Geez! And you'll get no apologies like that from me.

You pretty much shut down any further discussion from me. Take a chill pill.

Wrong. Check the Apple Garageband Lifeson Spirit lesson and hear Alex talk about the phaser intro. There has been lots of confusion over this but even Terry Brown confirmed that it was indeed a phaser used. I even spoke to Tony Geranios"Jack Secret" about this way back in 1983 at the Hollywod Sportatorium in Hollywood Florida on the Signals tour.

Don't argue with me on Rush facts, you will lose!! lol

Don't argue with men from Willowdale. There are two more of them you know. It a phaser and it even sounds like one.

Back
Top Bottom