Pro Tools or Cubase

Cubase - I'm not a fan of Avid, although I'm sure there will be other opinions and suggestions :)
Thanks
Pauly

Pro tools or Cubase if using AxeFx Ultra? What is easier to use?
While there are many differences between them, both subtle and profound, they both work fine with an AxeFX. Neither is inherently "easier" than the other. If you're looking for something easy to get started with recording, I'd suggest something like GarageBand.

While there are many differences between them, both subtle and profound, they both work fine with an AxeFX. Neither is inherently "easier" than the other. If you're looking for something easy to get started with recording, I'd suggest something like GarageBand.
Thanks GlennO I used Pro Tools Le maybe 18yrs ago and loved it. And now want to get back into some recording and some people say cubase and some say Pro Tools. I'm not a beginner but definitely no expert. LOL Thanks again.

Thanks GlennO I used Pro Tools Le maybe 18yrs ago and loved it. And now want to get back into some recording and some people say cubase and some say Pro Tools. I'm not a beginner but definitely no expert. LOL Thanks again.
I would still recommend GarageBand. Things have changed a lot in 18 years :), so I'm not sure that experience in 2003 will help you out much. All the major DAWs have trial versions or inexpensive versions, so you can try them out.

P.S. Reaper is not free.

Cubase have an updated “audio machine” in version 11 and I love the sound of it with the axe3. If you want to do small to big productions and use midi applications and automation etc. this one does it all. The program is quite complex and it take some time to learn but if you have the time and want to be able to do it all. Scores, melodyne like vocal edit machine,
And a great graphic interface. The downside is that it is expensive and complex but it has all the bells and whistles. Check it out on you tube and if you like what you see Steinberg gives you a month free trial. (Note: I’m kind of biased as I’ve been using cubase from version 1 back in the Stone Age)🙂

Last edited:
Reaper is free and used by lot of guitarist .
Reaper is not free. It's free to try and $60 for a non-commercial license. Yes you can keep in full featured evaluation mode indefinitely with a nag screen at launch, but it's worth every penny of that $60 and so much more.

It's a great DAW with great free resources out there to learn it. It's small, fast, stable, very customizable, and constantly updated.

I would still recommend GarageBand. Things have changed a lot in 18 years :), so I'm not sure that experience in 2003 will help you out much. All the major DAWs have trial versions or inexpensive versions, so you can try them out.

P.S. Reaper is not free.
Thanks I did check out Reaper and definately cheapest DAW out there and free for two months.

Reaper is not free. It's free to try and $60 for a non-commercial license. Yes you can keep in full featured evaluation mode indefinitely with a nag screen at launch, but it's worth every penny of that $60 and so much more.

It's a great DAW with great free resources out there to learn it. It's small, fast, stable, very customizable, and constantly updated.
Thanks mr_fender. Will be looking into it further and garageband.

Cubase have an updated “audio machine” in version 11 and I love the sound of it with the axe3. If you want to do small to big productions and use midi applications and automation etc. this one does it all. The program is quite complex and it take some time to learn but if you have the time and want to be able to do it all. Scores, melodyne like vocal edit machine,
And a great graphic interface. The downside is that it is expensive and complex but it has all the bells and whistles. Check it out on you tube and if you like what you see Steinberg gives you a month free trial. (Note: I’m kind of biased as I’ve been using cubase from version 1 back in the Stone Age)🙂
Thanks Emerald Green I have been getting a lot of good vibes from people who use Cubase.

Thanks I did check out Reaper and definately cheapest DAW out there and free for two months.
It's not the cheapest. That distinction belongs to free DAWs like ProTools First, Cakewalk, or GarageBand. But there are so many inexpensive options out there (for example Cubase Elements is $99), that I wouldn't let the price be a deciding factor. You mentioned you wanted something easy and they don't get any easier than GarageBand. But, like all of these inexpensive DAWs, it has an upgrade path into a more advanced version (in the case of GarageBand, Logic) if you feel the need for more power. Another deciding factor is: do you have friends who use a DAW? If so, you might want to go with whatever they use so you can rely on them if you need help getting started.

HI again Popper,

I might add, that right now, the difference between a few dollars and a few hundred dollars may seem steep, but I think most of us old farts can agree that the right decision here may save you a bunch of bullshit later on!. In your position, I'd certainly be considering the $$ but it would not the the highest priority...

First - which one suits 'your' way of thinking?.... Maybe your past use of ProTools has you immediately knowing how it all works and could be considered an advantage (even in the long term) because you can get to work quick.
Second - What are the reputational ripples the company has left on you, your friends, and others on the grapevine? I mentioned Avid in an earlier post form a digital mixing desk purchase and I recall saying to myself 'Never again Avid'... And that's it from me as I'm a stubborn old coot How does the company seem to support their users?... Are there forums?.. Check'em out!... Just remember - it's the internet - there are 2 opposing opinions and both are correct! (According to some)
Third - What's the damage... IE, what's it gonna cost you financially? Cubase has a number of editions at different price points and you get updates until they decide to do a major update (I think they like having money over Chrissy as it seems that's when they put their hands out :)). You pay the money, or you stick with the version you have for a while...you can still use it. Protools have a subscription model which I'm not a fan of - when you stop paying... no more use! Imagine you go through a rough patch, don't pay a subscription, then a year later your fiancé says 'remember that song you recorded, I want a new version for our wedding!'... you're screwed man! Reaper.. well a few packets of smokes and you're in. (give it up if you're smoking!)
Fourth - Infrastructure - What hardware are you going to need to run it? EG, you a mac boy?.. Have a look at other options available...someone mentioned Garageband? Will what you're looking at work with your PC and interface etc? It better!
Fifth - Licensing - They all have different requirements - Probably worth checking you have enough USB ports for all the dongles you'll end up needing to license different products...
Sixth... There's so much to consider... quality, cost, availability, support etc etc etc...

Most of the time, we are already leaning one way or the other anyway - and we often fall that way... BUt it's worth considering some of the above NOW so in 5 years you don't regret the decision and have to learn a whole new system!

[edit] - oh I forgot... MIDI support! Some are waaaay better than others in this regard...If you are doing Midi drums, keys etc, It's also worth considering.
Edit2 - Migration... What if the company goes bellyup? - You'll want to be sure you can export all you files... This happened to me when Cakewalk failed. I know it's come back again but for years it was gone. I went to Sonar, then to Cubase and haven't looked back.

Most of the above points are also appliccabl;e to the squillions of plugins you'll soon have too!

Keep us posted and good luck!

Pauly

Thanks Emerald Green I have been getting a lot of good vibes from people who use Cubase.

Last edited:
Easiest..? Well that would be which ever one you know the best or learn. What are your needs or requirements...what do you want it to do?

HI again Popper,

I might add, that right now, the difference between a few dollars and a few hundred dollars may seem steep, but I think most of us old farts can agree that the right decision here may save you a bunch of bullshit later on!. In your position, I'd certainly be considering the $$ but it would not the the highest priority...

First - which one suits 'your' way of thinking?.... Maybe your past use of ProTools has you immediately knowing how it all works and could be considered an advantage (even in the long term) because you can get to work quick.
Second - What are the reputational ripples the company has left on you, your friends, and others on the grapevine? I mentioned Avid in an earlier post form a digital mixing desk purchase and I recall saying to myself 'Never again Avid'... And that's it from me as I'm a stubborn old coot How does the company seem to support their users?... Are there forums?.. Check'em out!... Just remember - it's the internet - there are 2 opposing opinions and both are correct! (According to some)
Third - What's the damage... IE, what's it gonna cost you financially? Cubase has a number of editions at different price points and you get updates until they decide to do a major update (I think they like having money over Chrissy as it seems that's when they put their hands out :)). You pay the money, or you stick with the version you have for a while...you can still use it. Protools have a subscription model which I'm not a fan of - when you stop paying... no more use! Imagine you go through a rough patch, don't pay a subscription, then a year later your fiancé says 'remember that song you recorded, I want a new version for our wedding!'... you're screwed man! Reaper.. well a few packets of smokes and you're in. (give it up if you're smoking!)
Fourth - Infrastructure - What hardware are you going to need to run it? EG, you a mac boy?.. Have a look at other options available...someone mentioned Garageband? Will what you're looking at work with your PC and interface etc? It better!
Fifth - Licensing - They all have different requirements - Probably worth checking you have enough USB ports for all the dongles you'll end up needing to license different products...
Sixth... There's so much to consider... quality, cost, availability, support etc etc etc...

Most of the time, we are already leaning one way or the other anyway - and we often fall that way... BUt it's worth considering some of the above NOW so in 5 years you don't regret the decision and have to learn a whole new system!

[edit] - oh I forgot... MIDI support! Some are waaaay better than others in this regard...If you are doing Midi drums, keys etc, It's also worth considering.
Edit2 - Migration... What if the company goes bellyup? - You'll want to be sure you can export all you files... This happened to me when Cakewalk failed. I know it's come back again but for years it was gone. I went to Sonar, then to Cubase and haven't looked back.

Most of the above points are also appliccabl;e to the squillions of plugins you'll soon have too!

Keep us posted and good luck!

Pauly
Thanks bud I will. It's down to Pro Tools or Cubase now thanks for your interesting but beneficial input.

Back
Top Bottom