Pro Tools or Cubase

I've been using Pro Tools for over 25 years and I can assure you it can be a very finickity beast. It took a long time to get it to behave as one would expect it to. I despise Avid as a company (terrible support and slow at fixing bugs and implementing new ideas) and I very much dislike the subscription model so have stayed on PT11HD, it still does everything I need. I really like PT but if I were starting out again I don't know whether I'd choose it since there are now so many good options. I would recommend joining each forum to really find out the good, bad and ugly of each DAW.
One great thing about PT though is; Like this forum, the Avid DUC forum has some very experienced and knowledgeable people who are always willing to help.

No matter which one you decide to use, the best thing anyone can do IMHO (often overlooked) is to learn as much as possible about audio engineering. With that (at the very least, basic) understanding, any DAW becomes that much easier to master because all the principles are the same. For the most part, then it's just the software interface and workflow that's different in using the toolset each one supplies .....oh and cost :)

Last edited:
I've been using Pro Tools for over 25 years and I can assure you it can be a very finickity beast. It took a long time to get it to behave as one would expect it to. I despise Avid as a company (terrible support and slow at fixing bugs and implementing new ideas) and I very much dislike the subscription model so have stayed on PT11HD, it still does everything I need. I really like PT but if I were starting out again I don't know whether I'd choose it since there are now so many good options. I would recommend joining each forum to really find out the good, bad and ugly of each DAW.
One great thing about PT though is; Like this forum, the Avid DUC forum has some very experienced and knowledgeable people who are always willing to help.

No matter which one you decide to use, the best thing anyone can do IMHO (often overlooked) is to learn as much as possible about audio engineering. With that (at the very least, basic) understanding, any DAW becomes that much easier to master because all the principles are the same. For the most part, then it's just the software interface and workflow that's different.....oh and cost :)
Thanks Zedhed
I hear you loud and clear. I used Pro Tools LE with Digi Design and Ableton nearly 20 years ago and a lot of time was spent to get the recording to scratch so to speak. I believe I 'm going to go with "Reaper" this time round.....just not that happy with the plugins or more than likely I can't use them properly. I'll see how I go.

Back
Top Bottom