PRO TOOLS MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE_AXE-FX MKII or MFC-101?

Im using Protools or Logic to automate Program MIDI changes for my axe-fx MKII. My question is which option is best and/or incorrect?

1) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>MFC-101MKIII>ETHERNET>AXE-FX MKII
2) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>MFC-101MKIII>MIDI OUT>AXE-FX MKII MIDI IN (MFC fractal power supply)
3) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>AXE-FX MKII
4) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>AXE-FX MKII>ETHERNET>MFC101MKIII
5) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>AXE-FX MKII>MIDI THRU>MFC101MKIII

I would prefer to still use the MFC-101 MKIII bc i need the pedal ports to operate some of the ext. control parameters in the axe-fx. Wah, reverb/delay mix, panning etc. as well as set tempo and use the tuner. I wouldn't use the MFC to change patches, scenes etc. I'm just not sure if this will cause damage, delays in data transfer etc.

Lastly, my preferred method would be #1, #4, or #5. If these are possible, are there any specific settings on the axe-fx MKII and MFC 101 MKIII that I need to set in order for it to work properly?

Im using Protools or Logic to automate Program MIDI changes for my axe-fx MKII. My question is which option is best and/or incorrect?

1) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>MFC-101MKIII>ETHERNET>AXE-FX MKII
2) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>MFC-101MKIII>MIDI OUT>AXE-FX MKII MIDI IN (MFC fractal power supply)
3) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>AXE-FX MKII
4) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>AXE-FX MKII>ETHERNET>MFC101MKIII
5) COMPUTER USB-MIDI ADAPTER>AXE-FX MKII>MIDI THRU>MFC101MKIII

I would prefer to still use the MFC-101 MKIII bc i need the pedal ports to operate some of the ext. control parameters in the axe-fx. Wah, reverb/delay mix, panning etc. as well as set tempo and use the tuner. I wouldn't use the MFC to change patches, scenes etc. I'm just not sure if this will cause damage, delays in data transfer etc.

Lastly, my preferred method would be #1, #4, or #5. If these are possible, are there any specific settings on the axe-fx MKII and MFC 101 MKIII that I need to set in order for it to work properly?

You can connect the computer to the axe fx via sub cable. Then connect the mfc to axe fx via faslink.
Your computer will control the axe fx and the mfc will display correctly. You can still use the mfc to control the axe fx.
Here is the catch. Any new program changes sent via usb, will override the changes you have made via Mfc.

So let's say you have program changes sending at the intro, verse, chorus, etc.
For this example let's say your verse sound is a straight clean sound. And your chorus sound is a straight distortion sound. Within our preset, we have a delay, verb, wah, etc.

Song starts, and computer sends a program change that sends your axe fx to the clean sound. As you are playing, you decide you wanna throw on some wah, to make your singer laugh. When the chorus comes around and your computer sends the program change to the axe fx, it will clear out the wah and switch to the straight distortion. When the verse rolls back around, the verse sound will be back to straight clean.

Also. If your song has lots of program changes automated, watch out because the new program changes will also bypass the tuner enabled, so let's say you have a few different sounds, your computer fires off a program change for each different sound, if you are tuning, you'll have to keep hitting the tuner button every time it fires out a new pc or your tuning will be pumping through the amp

Hopefully this helps.

B

You can connect the computer to the axe fx via sub cable. Then connect the mfc to axe fx via faslink.
Your computer will control the axe fx and the mfc will display correctly. You can still use the mfc to control the axe fx.
Here is the catch. Any new program changes sent via usb, will override the changes you have made via Mfc.

So let's say you have program changes sending at the intro, verse, chorus, etc.
For this example let's say your verse sound is a straight clean sound. And your chorus sound is a straight distortion sound. Within our preset, we have a delay, verb, wah, etc.

Song starts, and computer sends a program change that sends your axe fx to the clean sound. As you are playing, you decide you wanna throw on some wah, to make your singer laugh. When the chorus comes around and your computer sends the program change to the axe fx, it will clear out the wah and switch to the straight distortion. When the verse rolls back around, the verse sound will be back to straight clean.

Also. If your song has lots of program changes automated, watch out because the new program changes will also bypass the tuner enabled, so let's say you have a few different sounds, your computer fires off a program change for each different sound, if you are tuning, you'll have to keep hitting the tuner button every time it fires out a new pc or your tuning will be pumping through the amp

Hopefully this helps.

B

Also, disable redundant pc messages, or you'll get a little gap when changing scenes.

And there is some setting to send system Essex messages to all in the utilities or midi menus. I had to do this to get the tuner to display on the mfc.

Back
Top Bottom