Pro Tools installation question

I bought a used macbook pro about a year ago which came equipped with pro tools 10.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a licensed version as it runs without ilok.

I've ran this for the last year or so successfully, and have purchased many plugins to go along with it.

This has been my only experience with Pro Tools. I recently purchased a perpetual license for Pro Tools 12 to run superior drummer 3 on and as a general upgrade.

Being that my current copy may not be licensed, what will happen when I install my newly acquired PT12?

Will my plugins automatically carry over, or will I have to redo all that as well?

Pro tools changed their plugin format when going from 10 to 11.
Best to check with the plugin vendors if they support Pro tools 12.
I have a few that don't work after 10, they are the ones that came free with my sapphire Pro 40 interface.

Pro tools changed their plugin format when going from 10 to 11.
Best to check with the plugin vendors if they support Pro tools 12.
I have a few that don't work after 10, they are the ones that came free with my sapphire Pro 40 interface.

Thanks for the heads up man. I'm primarily concerned with losing my Waves plugins as I've read on other forums that there may be a compatibility issue with some of the plugins which requires paying an additional upgrade fee.

The said plugins are .AAX so I don't anticipate having any major issues, however I would like to be aware of any potential risk to my existing setup.

Curious, what suite of plugins DID work after you did your PT upgrade?

Thanks for the heads up man. I'm primarily concerned with losing my Waves plugins as I've read on other forums that there may be a compatibility issue with some of the plugins which requires paying an additional upgrade fee.

The said plugins are .AAX so I don't anticipate having any major issues, however I would like to be aware of any potential risk to my existing setup.

Curious, what suite of plugins DID work after you did your PT upgrade?
I came from PT 8-le to 11, so I was basically steering fresh. I purchased waves gold and Steven skate drums 3.0, both work fine. I think I also used sgear for a while too.

I don't have a big use for PT, I only use it for a basic mix of our live recordings and some demo ideas.

For a while I did have both pt 10 and 11 installed. You might be ok to have both until you figure out of it'll work?

If the plugins you purchased since running PT10 are AAX and not RTAS, they will run fine on PT12. Regardless of if the copy of PT10 that you inherited on that laptop is legit or not. (If it’s running without an iLok, it doesn’t sound like it’s legit.)

Thanks guys!

For a while I did have both pt 10 and 11 installed. You might be ok to have both until you figure out of it'll work?

How did you have both installed at the same time? This sounds like an ideal solution, at least until I can get everything properly migrated to PT12.

Back
Top Bottom