Pro Tools 10 vs. Logic Pro X

If given an equal opportunity to acquire either, which do you prefer, and why?

By 'equal opportunity' I mean that the cost is irrelevant.

Anyone...?

I'm not a studio engineer, a producer, nor a recording artist.. just an enthusiast who likes to jam and who would like to have the capability of putting a good recording together with relative ease.

All DAWs are pretty much the same. They record, do midi and have plugins included. It's a matter of which one you learn first and stick with it. Logic seems to be a favorite for those that use Mac though. I use Cubase because that's the one I started with.

You could look into Reaper as it's much cheaper and comes with a 60-day trial.

I've used Pro Tools 9 for a while and though I've gotten comfortable with the UI and what not, I find that it really takes a lot of time and effort (maybe this is my lack of proper recording knowledge/experience) to create a good sounding track.

I'm just wondering if upgrading to 10 or switching over to Logic Pro X will help expedite the process of getting a good track put together.

(It's only beween these two options because a buddy of mine owns them both and is willing to sell me the license to the one that I want, FYI)

As previously mentioned, I'm not a professional musician by any means.. I work in a 9-5 office setting and have a wife at home.

Basically, I'm looking for the more 'weekend warrior-friendly' option of the two.. if that's even a realistic standard for a DAW.

Thanks!

I use Pro Tools 12

I would say it's an aquired taste :)

I use it to be compatible with pro studios not because I think it has great workflows.

My biggest complaint is the default settings are not good for most users. So you spend a lot of time creating templates.

Once that is done, it's not too bad.

But the defaults could really help you better.

Logic pro X offers free updates Pro tools does not. I have used pro tool and Logic pro X is just as good for sure. The plug ins are very useable as well!

Also Logic is very easy to start a project. I am also not an engineer and find the drums in Logic are awesome to get up and running for a new project. With Pro tools you have to purchase many 3rd party plug ins and drum programs that are included in Logic.

I never even use my Superior drummer program anymore the Logic drums are so good. I do however, use UA plug ins for certain applications, but still use Logic plug ins too!

Logic pro X offers free updates Pro tools does not. I have used pro tool and Logic pro X is just as good for sure. The plug ins are very useable as well!

Also Logic is very easy to start a project. I am also not an engineer and find the drums in Logic are awesome to get up and running for a new project. With Pro tools you have to purchase many 3rd party plug ins and drum programs that are included in Logic.

I never even use my Superior drummer program anymore the Logic drums are so good. I do however, use UA plug ins for certain applications, but still use Logic plug ins too!

Thanks! This is the type of information I'm looking for..drums are definitely the most pain in the ass part of putting a track together. I have EZ Drummer (out dated I know..) for PT9 and even with that, I feel like it's very limiting. I always find myself visiting the MIDI editor on PT to tweak drums..very annoying and time-consuming process. I've been considering the plunge to SD 2.0, but I can't justify the investment since my use is purely for my own enjoyment at this point.

It's very awesome to know that its easy to get drums up and running in Logic Pro X! Definitely a plus for me!

Way more easy to use Logic than PT. I have PT 11.3 with HDX. It sounds awesome, no doubt. But for composition, quick assembly of tracks, great sound library right out of the "virtual" box, Logic is tops. The fact that it is amazingly cheap and that updates are free is also great.
If you're not a pro worried about studio compatibility than the choice is a no-brainer: Logic X.

Of course, the usual disclaimers: YMMV, IMHO, Etc...

Apple integrates everything so when you do the FREE updates everything is updated. If you get LP X you can pm with any basic questions. Also the forum 'Logic user group' has been fairly helpful too!

I used Logic for about 25 years. A few months ago I checked out Studio One. It addressed so many of my frustrations with Logic, I switched. One year later Im wondering why I waited so long. These 100 short FREE tutorials done by Presonus and Joe Gilder (musician / mixer / teacher extrordinare) got me up to speed very quickly,

It al comes down to taste. What makes sense in your own head. I looked at cubase but it never jelled with me. My mate has Pro tools but is always complaining about buffer issues and other stuff. I tried logic back before apple brought the company and loved it from day 1. When they stopped windows support, I kept using it until my PC died. I then moved to an iMac and purchased Logic Pro and still,love it to bits. Pardon the pun, but it never misses a beat.

The only thing is that you are locked into apple hardware if you go down this route.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="mmpete, post: 1402138, member: 45931
The only thing is that you are locked into apple hardware if you go down this route.[/QUOTE]

Personally, Id prefer to be " locked " into my Mac Mini hardware then a PC (Ive owned many). ;)

[QUOTE="mmpete, post: 1402138, member: 45931
The only thing is that you are locked into apple hardware if you go down this route.

Personally, Id prefer to be " locked " into my Mac Mini hardware then a PC (Ive owned many). ;)
Me tooooooo

Last edited:
Logic X user. I find the workflow easier than pro-tools. There are some silly things that are not logical (pun intended) that logic does as a DAW, but other than that it's a good easy-to-use program.

I've used ProTools and Logic, and several other DAWs. For the past few years, I've been using Logic, and it's ideally suited for my needs. As has been noted, Apple does a good job of handling the system integration, so you have good performance and stability. I've also found the Logic platform is very easy to understand in stages; you can just jump right in and get decent results, and as you become more familiar with the deeper studio features, you can open up more of the system for fine-grained control.

For what it's worth: I generally track less than four active inputs as a time. When working on my Logic-based system at home, there are two common scenarios
  1. For commercial projects, I'm bringing in a master two-track of a work in progress, and just syncing my own parts as I record instruments.
  2. When doing my own projects, I'm layering my own playing.
In an off-site commercial studio, I often track along with a full band. I'm still using either Logic or ProTools, depending on what the studio has for a DAW.

When I was looking to get into a DAW, the content (loops, samples, plugins) made it a relative no-brainer. For a home recordist / songwriter, the Drummer feature is gold.

Back
Top Bottom