Prince "solo" flanger setting lets go crazy

I stand somewhat corrected. Prince’s distorted tone comes from a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, and for the main rhythm riffs and the first solo he also used a Boss OC-2 Octaver to provide deeper bass with buzzing, fuzz-like overtones. For the second solo at the song’s climax, he kicks on a Color-sound Wah and uses a Boss BF-2 Flanger at a few key moments for added drama.

Yeah, he often used a boss set to extreme settings that he only momentarily kicks on. Around the 4:06 mark in the studio recording. But he often used it live whenever he felt like it. I’m not at my rig at the moment, but I’m pretty sure I’ve used the pop flanger before the amp with the feedback cranked for a similar effect

It sounds to me like all wah except for a flanger for a few seconds when he slides up and down the neck before the descending outro.

I used Leapwings Centerone and listened carefully: He does most certainly kick in a flanger at 4:06, but he keeps it engaged (along with the wah) for the rest of the song.

I hear a flanger at the end. High rate, after he does the feedback lead riff at the end. Sounds like my boss purple flanger from like a million years ago.

Back
Top Bottom