Prince Of A Thousand Enemies (Arabic Metal)

Interesting! I did not even know Arabic had a metal side. The classic use instruments that play in quarter notes which is not possible to replicate on fretted instruments. Cool!

Interesting! I did not even know Arabic had a metal side. The classic use instruments that play in quarter notes which is not possible to replicate on fretted instruments. Cool!

You mean quarter steps?

Some of the more exotic modes include full, 1/2, and 1/4 step intervals (only possible through bending on a fretted instrument), which is what you're referring to I think. In the recording, it sounds like he's using a lot of different modes. I hear major modes (big shred solo sounds lydian), variants on the phrygian mode, and even some straightforward minor stuff.

Hi all, thanks for your kind comments!

@WoodyCoRPus: mmmm of course taste is very personal. I don't listen to any metal anymore these days, so my sound might not be up to par. Plus, I really, really suck in creating my own sounds. So, anything that sounds okay is more creditable to Fractal than to me haha.

@bufon63: the flute is done by 3 small demo wavs of a flute maker webshop :) All other instruments and sounds, except the guitars and the 'warfare samples' of course, are programmed note for note by me. Mostly sent to a Korg TR-61 and a Yamaha ES-Motif.

@hussamd & Sidivan: I don't really use microtonality here, except for the part where the Oud and that other string instrument (Turkish, can't recall the name) are playing in unison, but that's just because the creators of that patch in my Korg decided to mimick that by putting in some false notes haha. Btw I use Phrygian with a raised 3rd (I think they call it the Gypsy scale or Flamenco scale or something), which is sort of similar to the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale. Furthermore I use Lydian indeed in the solo, and for the rest some major, Dorian and some other stuff. I don't really think of modes actually while I compose, oh well...

@hussamd & Sidivan: I don't really use microtonality here, except for the part where the Oud and that other string instrument (Turkish, can't recall the name) are playing in unison, but that's just because the creators of that patch in my Korg decided to mimick that by putting in some false notes haha. Btw I use Phrygian with a raised 3rd (I think they call it the Gypsy scale or Flamenco scale or something), which is sort of similar to the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale. Furthermore I use Lydian indeed in the solo, and for the rest some major, Dorian and some other stuff. I don't really think of modes actually while I compose, oh well...

I didn't hear any 1/4 steps in the recording, I was just clarifying what Hussamd was talking about. I'm actually really surprised I nailed the modes in a single listen. It's a great tune, btw!

I love the Oud! It has such a soulful tone. Too bad I never learned how to play it. Heck it looks difficult to even tune. I did manage to damage a few when I was young according to my uncle ;)

Tailor: you got anything on any other medium than MySpace? I have some difficulties playing it (prolly more due to my system than anything else, but)

Diggi, what would be some of your other favourites? To be honest I don't really know much Arabic metal, but, since I obviously like it, I would be happy to hear about some other bands out there!

Back
Top Bottom