Price of AXE FX

The price on the Axe FX is actually is somewhat on the lower end of the cost spectrum for what it offers. Reverbs and delays are stellar. I remember what high quality and great sounding reverb and delay units used to cost, and the Axe FX represents a significant improvement in the price to performance ratio. The idea that an Axe FX is expensive is all a matter of perspective depending on one's experience purchasing and using audio gear.

Though I understand the "you only need..." arguments, I don't subscribe to them. The fact I can effectively use a knock-off Tele copy and a Peavey Bandit 65 to entertain an audience doesn't make me feel I should limit myself to that.

I have never see or heard Fractal making any one buy there products, they aren't even sold to wholesalers. So they are worth what ever they want to sell them for. If you don't like the heat stay out off the kitchen!

Ultimately you either want to pay the price or you don't.... your money, your choice.

For me the want exceeded any pricing boundaries, I wanted it, I got it, I have no regrets and my tone (because that's what we all try and craft) inspires me to play as often as humanely possible.

If you buy it and like it, you keep it.

If you can't really afford it then don't buy it - get what you can afford, get it set up and play your guitar without remorse.

A decent product in the right hands will sound great, a great product in the wrong hands will sound poop ...... don't buy the most expensive thing out there if you think it's going to improve your actual playing.

Chinese cookie mode over

I like my Axe-FX because it does multi-tasking -

It can be a straight FX unit in the loop of either of my 2 other conventional amp rigs

It can be used in 4CM with either of my conventional rigs

It can be a modeller/FX unit in it's own right (with options of FRFR or conventional cabs)

It can be a silent or low volume authentic recording/practice tool with or without the need of an external audio interface

Those 4 things justified the cost for me

I'll admit to sometimes grumbling to myself that things were easier when you just had one amp, one cab and some stomp boxes ..... but taking that rig and making it suitable for late night practice would mean buying load boxes, cab simulators and all that stuff.

I've heard a Kemper playing on stage and it sounded just as good as me playing my Axe-FX rig ....... but it didn't make me want to get a Kemper because I'm happy with what I've got and what it does.

I've also heard someone else playing a high end tube rig and he sounded just as good as both the Kemper guy and me .... so it's down to what rocks your boat.

I first heard of the AXE-FX Ultra from Steve Vais website, but thought... If Steve Vai is using it, it most likely will be USD 5000+... Was rather pleasantly surprised when I actually got to buy one ;)

Its worth it to me as long as Fractal is all in on quality like they are now. I'm burned out on mass companies that's mindset is "lets make a decent product(not quite what you want), that makes the most money". <-- Line 6. Fractal is more like, "Lets make the best product, and continue to improve it". It seems like Cliff really does put 100% into the product. Additionally, when he has some epiphany on taking the sounds to the next level...he gets them in a free firmware update. In regards to price with the Kemper, I know the Kemper has a cheaper processor. Its not $200 cheaper tho. Should it be the price of the Kemper? I dunno, but they aren't that far apart. I'm sure since it seems like a small shop, he needs a little bit of margin to insure a health company and not one that tanks.
Kemper is a good product for sure. My band mate has one. I favor the Axe fx tho.

I'll preface my comments by saying that I don't gig and I have no studio. It's probably overkill for my use, but hearing the number of quality amps out there, I was never going to be able to afford 2 or 3 of those setups. With the Axe, I feel I have as close a version as I need. It completely cured my desire for any type of amp. The unit sounds very different with each of my various guitars and while I haven't dug into the features as much as many here, I really do find a lot of pleasure just twirling the dial for a new sound. I've picked up a few presets that I really liked and imported them and I have a ton of fun playing through this thing.

Something else which you don't get with other amps is regular updates to the software and a great community. There are a lot of folks here who can help you get the most out of a very powerful piece of hardware. Also, we have the capability to add IRs which can significantly change the tone of the amp.

I agree that this isn't for everyone, but it's been 100% the best piece of musical gear I ever bought. I have zero desire to buy any other type of amp (other than upgrade to an XL+), I get all the sounds I would ever want out of any amp, It fits on my desk along with a couple of monitors (which you can upgrade in quality as your budget allows), and I can plug directly into my PC if I like for direct recording.

100% satisfied customer.

To me, i see a bunch of guys complaining about the price, but have a Uberschall and straight orange cab, which probably costed about the same. Granted, you gotta get a floor controller, a FRFR speaker, or poweramp/cab. Value on the dollar is just what sells the unit itself. All the people nitpicking over X does better than Y for Z are just trying to justify their purchase. Different strokes for different folks.

A Mesa mk V rig with Strymon delay and verb runs about 3750. And thats for a non stereo rig. It also weighs about 5 times what an axe fx rig weighs.
Add a drive, chorus, comp, trem, vib and power supply and you have surpassed the cost of the Axe-fx by a good bit.
Plus then you have to run your time fx in the loop of the Mesa and your mesa doesnt sound as good any more.

To be honest, the price is way too low, LOL. My EVH 5150 III with matching cab cost the same as the axe fx 2. An amp head with a 4x12 runs you in about the same ball park. Then add the cost of pedals, let's say about 10 of them. This gives you the price of the MFC or a controller or a monitor.

Why is the Kemper cheaper than the axe?
It has different hardware. The price is usually determined (in part at least) by the cost of the hardware components used to make it. Axe FX2 has 2 TigerSHARC processors. Those are not cheap. Not exactly sure what hardware the Kemper has, but it looks like fewer components than the Fractal.

Firstly, the price of any product is not a sum of it's single part's prices and secondly a debate about how much something should cost is a bit misplaced. It's all about free market and supply and demand. This product is not only a device made of electronic components, it's also a brand, image, reliability, support, free future updates, etc.

There is way more time and effort spent programming an OS like Windows. Why aren't we paying 3000$ or more for PC's that are equivalent of computing power to Axe FX? Programming time isn't the reason for the Axe FX's price. I believe there are other reasons.

Economics 101:
Why are Squires cheaper than Fender, even when made from identical materials?...(especially since you have to pay to ship Squires TO the United States....so shouldn't they cost more?)
Why are Custom Shop Fenders even more expensive?

The answers to these questions will help you understand why the Axe FX costs what it does, and is priced appropriately.

I'm always amused when electric guitar players find the cost of gear excessive. We're by FAR the most spoiled lot of musicians on the planet in that we have access to more and better gear at lower prices than just about anyone else. Try high four figures for the cheaper professional grade brass and woodwind instruments (low five figures for many), mid five figures for a good stringed instrument or well into six figures for a nice piano (new, not vintage). At the low end of that range you can have an axe, MFC-101, expression pedals, a great stereo FRFR setup and enough cash left over for a really nice guitar that's probably as good or better than what your favorite rock star is playing on his latest arena tour.

A Mesa mk V rig with Strymon delay and verb runs about 3750. And thats for a non stereo rig. It also weighs about 5 times what an axe fx rig weighs.
Add a drive, chorus, comp, trem, vib and power supply and you have surpassed the cost of the Axe-fx by a good bit.
Plus then you have to run your time fx in the loop of the Mesa and your mesa doesnt sound as good any more.
My mesa sounds fine with various kinds of effect units in the effect loop, whats wrong with yours?

Back
Top Bottom